Minnesota may be a model for us

BoNeyard

1 hour ago, Igetbored216 said:

The leaders were bought last year, but not this year? 

I have also been wondering since Scott got here: what exactly are they buying into? What is the culture they are trying to build? 

This isn't that complicated, really.

First, the leaders this season are not performing well on the field.

Another leader this season has been on campus as a transfer about 6 months.

You want to see what being bought in looks like, refer to the photo at the end of last season with Foster and Stolt hugging Frost.

Remember Stanley wishing for one more year on Twitter?

Yes, last seasons leaders were better.  By leaps and bounds.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You want to see what being bought in looks like, refer to the photo at the end of last season with Foster and Stolt hugging Frost.

But which leaders haven't bought in like you said? We all know last years upperclassmen are out performing this years, but which ones aren't buying in?

11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

6 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

But which leaders haven't bought in like you said? We all know last years upperclassmen are out performing this years, but which ones aren't buying in?

I guess I still don't know what they are buying into. Hugging and wishing for one more year? These things are the result, not what they are buying into. 

Also, who isn't buying in? Just because the team isn't good, doesn't mean they didn't buy in. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Not to be an a$$, but how is it that this year  2 Captains are Frost's guys and they are not bought in and last year the guys were not Frost's but they were?  

Barry is a captain.  How's his credibility?

Daniels is a captain.  On campus 6 months.

Let's see what the captains look like next season.......Martinez will probably still be one.  Wan'dale will likely be one.  How about Farniok?  Will we have 2 offensive and 2 defensive?  If not, Martinez, Wan'dale and Farniok won't all be captains.

What about defense?  Who's gonna step up?

This is almost more of a transition year than last year, because Frost is bringing in guys more talented than the upperclassmen.  And that might be true again with the next round of incoming freshmen.

Being bought in is only part of it.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

I guess I still don't know what they are buying into. Hugging and wishing for one more year? These things are the result, not what they are buying into. 

Also, who isn't buying in? Just because the team isn't good, doesn't mean they didn't buy in. 

Frost said most are bought in.

The problem this season has to do with talent, depth and a new round of leaders that are struggling.

Again, not complicated to figure out.

• Haha 1

Igetbored216: “I have also been wondering since Scott got here: what exactly are they buying into? What is the culture they are trying to build?”

Building a culture is something that results over time by doing the little things. Little things like good play calling, blocking, tackling, and executing plays. Doing that results in winning games. Winning games results in a winning culture. You don’t go out on the field one day and say, “OK, we build out our winning culture today”.

This is what teams like Minnesota and Baylor have done. A couple years ago they were nowhere, and now they’re two of the top season success stories.

As for the players, if they don’t know what their job is... things like playing to the best of your ability, performing well on each down, having a good attitude, staying away from mistakes, and playing with class... if they don’t know that’s what they’re out there for then they are in the wrong business. Arriving at Nebraska “isn’t their first rodeo”. They’ve all played before.

I think that is what has Frost so frustrated. He can’t understand why some of today’s players don’t seem to play with the basics as when he did.

7 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

As for the players, if they don’t know what their job is... things like playing to the best of your ability, performing well on each down, having a good attitude, staying away from mistakes, and playing with class... if they don’t know that’s what they’re out there for then they are in the wrong business. Arriving at Nebraska “isn’t their first rodeo”. They’ve all played before.

I think that is what has Frost so frustrated. He can’t understand why some of today’s players don’t seem to play with the basics as when he did

These are things that are fixable and are literally what coaches get paid to teach.

8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Our captains and our leaders are different players right now.

Don't be stuck on bought in.

Its the word you used. You said the leaders haven't bought in. Which players are those? Plenty of upperclassmen aren't very good but to say that they havent bought in is pretty extreme for someone who gets upset any time anyone questions the staff.

• Plus1 1

I wonder if our team is watching the LSU vs Alabama and the Minnesota vs PSU so they can learn how ACTUAL teams play. May be also chin can learn how to scheme and get a game plan ready because so far it seems like we are not playing the same football some of these other teams are playing. I bet a good high school team can put a whopping on us. We have been outcoached and outplayed in almost every game this season. I am hoping that the Holy Spirit visits this team this bye week and blesses them because we will need a holy intervention to make the toilet bowl. 

5 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I wonder if our team is watching the LSU vs Alabama and the Minnesota vs PSU so they can learn how ACTUAL teams play. May be also chin can learn how to scheme and get a game plan ready because so far it seems like we are not playing the same football some of these other teams are playing. I bet a good high school team can put a whopping on us. We have been outcoached and outplayed in almost every game this season. I am hoping that the Holy Spirit visits this team this bye week and blesses them because we will need a holy intervention to make the toilet bowl. 

Taking out staff, scheme, recruits, conference etc....Just using the eyeball test, if I am being honest, NU looks like a lower tier team.....From appearance, size, hustle, physicality, speed, execution, fundamentals, etc......Not even in the same area code.  The crazy thing is we have been this way for years.  Maybe a lot of truth in the line that winning is a habit. So is losing.  I know Frost has made several comments about having never had to deal with some of these issues...

29 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Its the word you used. You said the leaders haven't bought in. Which players are those? Plenty of upperclassmen aren't very good but to say that they havent bought in is pretty extreme for someone who gets upset any time anyone questions the staff.

I've said our leaders are not talented enough on the field.