Minnesota may be a model for us

BoNeyard

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Look I really don't wanna argue the 4-3 and the 3-4 because there is so much more to it. People seemed to not understand who is responsible for what in our 3-4 and I wanted to provide a decent resource for it. And I added it the stuff about Oregon's 3-4 being exposed at the end of Chin's time there because it mirrors the same problems we are currently having. I'm not advocating we hire Brady Hoke or anything.

How is it Chinanders fault it 'got exposed'? Being an LB coach? That scheme worked well too and continues to work for other teams. Lets look at what Chinander has done at DC and when you do you see he has improved every defense he has been DC for. Why would we want to get rid of a guy making our defense better?

1 hour ago, SFW said:

The main defensive problem is the 3-4 that we run.  It takes 3 all world studs up front to be competitive.   If not your linebackers and safeties are get killed by B10 lineman

Husker Fans need need to get over thinking our defensive problems are because we run a 3-4. It’s not. 

There are examples of teams in our own conference that are successful running the 3-4 and they aren’t teams that have top 10 recruiting classes. 

On top of that, we have xx actually ran quite a bit of 4-3 this year and we still sucked. 

Fact is, no matter which you run, you have to have good players that play within the system. 

We don’t and that’s our problem. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not 1 but 2. Justin Wilcox before Aranda. Maybe they have a consistent system considering multiple coaches have had success running 3-4 there? 

Aranda was before Wilcox.  Aranda changed the defense to a 3-4 after coming to Madison from Utah State with Anderson.  He was the only assistant coach Chryst kept because he wanted the 3-4.  They went out and got Wilcox for a year to maintain the 3-4.  Leonhard coached DBs that one year with Wilcox and has taken over(easy choice as he played at Wisky).  They’ve successfully brought in/promoted coached to continually fit their personel/scheme

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

At Oregon it wasn't Chindander's 3-4 though because Chinander wasn't the DC at Oregon.

I think more accurate is to say Chinander took what was being ran at Oregon to UCF. 

Where do you think Chin came up with his defense? I don't even know what we're arguing. All I have been saying is Chin runs Nick Aliotti's 3-4 Defense, and that very same defense in 2015 was exposed the same fashion we have been this season. Can it be fixed? Sure. 

"Chinander spent one more year at UNI, then took a leap of faith, becoming a defensive intern at Oregon under then-Ducks defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti.

“He picked things up fast,” said Aliotti, who was Oregon’s defensive coordinator for 17 years. “He got it. He related it well to players. Erik did any and everything I gave him to do, and it was always done quickly and correctly.”

It was at Oregon where Chinander embraced the 3-4. Aliotti ran it, of course, but his boss — coach Chip Kelly — wouldn’t have let him run much else. Kelly, perhaps prescient, wanted a defense that could stop his own offense, Chinander said this summer on the Husker Nation tour."

"So Chinander became steeped in the ways of the 3-4. He was a defensive graduate assistant for two years after the internship. Then Chinander followed Kelly to the Philadelphia Eagles for a year. He came back to Oregon in 2014, followed Frost to UCF in 2016 and found a program broken by an 0-12 season."

Wisconsin's deal is no matter who is coaching in what capacity there they are a perennial 10 win team. No matter who their head coach is, no matter who their defensive coordinator is, they are a team and program that is going to get you 10 wins a year.

The difference between Wisconsin and Nebraska in that is, when Nebraska is stuck in that rut of winning just 9-10 games a year and never getting over the hump, we fire our coaches and completely change the identity of the program. Wisconsin's coaches just leave on their own, but the culture and identity remains the same because that is the expectations Alvarez has set. 

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Where do you think Chin came up with his defense? I don't even know what we're arguing. All I have been saying is Chin runs Nick Aliotti's 3-4 Defense, and that very same defense in 2015 was exposed the same fashion we have been this season. Can it be fixed? Sure. 

"Chinander spent one more year at UNI, then took a leap of faith, becoming a defensive intern at Oregon under then-Ducks defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti.

“He picked things up fast,” said Aliotti, who was Oregon’s defensive coordinator for 17 years. “He got it. He related it well to players. Erik did any and everything I gave him to do, and it was always done quickly and correctly.”

It was at Oregon where Chinander embraced the 3-4. Aliotti ran it, of course, but his boss — coach Chip Kelly — wouldn’t have let him run much else. Kelly, perhaps prescient, wanted a defense that could stop his own offense, Chinander said this summer on the Husker Nation tour."

"So Chinander became steeped in the ways of the 3-4. He was a defensive graduate assistant for two years after the internship. Then Chinander followed Kelly to the Philadelphia Eagles for a year. He came back to Oregon in 2014, followed Frost to UCF in 2016 and found a program broken by an 0-12 season."

I think it's the way you're saying it. That it was Chinander's defense at Oregon and Chinander would have been fired at Oregon had he stayed one more year, but at Oregon Chindander wasn't the DC. Chinander took Oregon's defensive philosophy with him to UCF. 

I guess the concerning part in that is the reason Oregon ran the 3-4 was to run a defense that could stop Oregon's offense. Well that Oregon offense is not what we face in the Big Ten. 

6 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Aranda was before Wilcox.  Aranda changed the defense to a 3-4 after coming to Madison from Utah State with Anderson.  He was the only assistant coach Chryst kept because he wanted the 3-4.  They went out and got Wilcox for a year to maintain the 3-4.  Leonhard coached DBs that one year with Wilcox and has taken over(easy choice as he played at Wisky).  They’ve successfully brought in/promoted coached to continually fit their personel/scheme

Chinander is out of his depth, he doesn’t belong on the same world as the above mentioned.   Bet any of the guys above would have our players looking much more competent.

Even Cosgrove made great talent look bad.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Husker Fans need need to get over thinking our defensive problems are because we run a 3-4. It’s not. 

There are examples of teams in our own conference that are successful running the 3-4 and they aren’t teams that have top 10 recruiting classes. 

On top of that, we have xx actually ran quite a bit of 4-3 this year and we still sucked. 

Fact is, no matter which you run, you have to have good players that play within the system. 

We don’t and that’s our problem. 

This is a lot of the problem I see. Especially at the linebacker position. It seems like the linebackers try to play outside what their assignment is to try and make a play. That's why there are stretches where the defense is decent. 

It would also help tremendously to find a couple OLBs that can get after the passer. I think this defense would look pretty different with just this addition

23 hours ago, lo country said:

Culture is an easy thing to blame it on when you suck....It put's the auspice all on the kids and not the staff.  Not saying culture doesn't need to change, but no way culture results in another 4-8 season.....

I think this much is a pretty accurate take. “Culture” is a mystique that be can blamed when things are going badly (without throwing individual players - or coaches - under the bus). Culture is a mystique we can say we are “building” to boosters & recruits. “Culture” is a PROXY for what is really the problem that can’t be said out loud (at least not yet).

• Plus1 1