Minnesota may be a model for us

BoNeyard

3 minutes ago, SFW said:

Wisconsin has a the best 3-4 coach in the game.  It’s completely different from the 3-4 we run.  You can’t figure out who to block in Wisconsin’s scheme.  It fast attacking 3-4 no fear of failure.

Chinander’s scheme takes 3 all world studs.  No creativity in his pass rush, with linebackers 10 yards off the ball, and safeties deep.  Let’s call it the Fear of Failure 3-4.  Otherwise known as prevent defense.

Nobody else in the B10 dares to run the 3-4.

Certainly not Minnesota.

Didn't realize you weren't a fan of Chinander.....

https://fishduck.com/the-oregon-football-repository-by-fishduck-com/the-oregon-football-analysis-library-by-fishduck-com/specifically-for-the-coaches-from-coaches/specifically-for-the-coaches-defense-from-coaches/specifically-for-the-coaches-the-3-4-defense-2/specifically-for-the-coaches-the-3-4-defense/

^Good resource for people wanting to learn about OUR 3-4. Oregon ended up scrapping our version of the 3-4 the year Frost went to UCF. It's completely possible if Chin wasn't taken with Frost, he would have been let go by Oregon. The issues they scrapped it? Awful 3rd down and red zone efficiency and inability to step the shallow passing routes.

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

https://fishduck.com/the-oregon-football-repository-by-fishduck-com/the-oregon-football-analysis-library-by-fishduck-com/specifically-for-the-coaches-from-coaches/specifically-for-the-coaches-defense-from-coaches/specifically-for-the-coaches-the-3-4-defense-2/specifically-for-the-coaches-the-3-4-defense/

^Good resource for people wanting to learn about OUR 3-4. Oregon ended up scrapping our version of the 3-4 the year Frost went to UCF. It's completely possible if Chin wasn't taken with Frost, he would have been let go by Oregon. The issues they scrapped it? Awful 3rd down and red zone efficiency and inability to step the shallow passing routes.

Chinander was the DC at Oregon and his real name is Nick? 

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Chinander wasn't the DC at Oregon was he? Just the LB coach......

That attacking defense Oregon had, and what Chindander took with him to UCF worked because there was full confidence in the offenses ability to score. They took risks knowing if they gave up a big play their offense would be able to get it right back. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

And how did switching to Brady Hokes 4-3 work out for them? Maybe the scheme wasn't the problem considering it was working until Chip Kelley left

The scheme worked because of the offense. It was all out attack knowing if they made a mistake the offense could counter and answer back minimizing that mistake, or attack and get that turnover or sack.

Similar to a shooting guard in basketball taking a 3 point shot with huge 7'5 PF and Center near the rim. Much more confident in taking that 3 pointer knowing you have rebounders to get the ball back if you miss.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

And how did switching to Brady Hokes 4-3 work out for them? Maybe the scheme wasn't the problem considering it was working until Chip Kelley left

Look I really don't wanna argue the 4-3 and the 3-4 because there is so much more to it. People seemed to not understand who is responsible for what in our 3-4 and I wanted to provide a decent resource for it. And I added it the stuff about Oregon's 3-4 being exposed at the end of Chin's time there because it mirrors the same problems we are currently having. I'm not advocating we hire Brady Hoke or anything.

• Thanks 1
Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Look I really don't wanna argue the 4-3 and the 3-4 because there is so much more to it. People seemed to not understand who is responsible for what in our 3-4 and I wanted to provide a decent resource for it. And I added it the stuff about Oregon's 3-4 being exposed at the end of Chin's time there because it mirrors the same problems we are currently having. I'm not advocating we hire Brady Hoke or anything.

At Oregon it wasn't Chindander's 3-4 though because Chinander wasn't the DC at Oregon.

I think more accurate is to say Chinander took what was being ran at Oregon to UCF. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, BoNeyard said:

The scheme worked because of the offense. It was all out attack knowing if they made a mistake the offense could counter and answer back minimizing that mistake, or attack and get that turnover or sack.

Similar to a shooting guard in basketball taking a 3 point shot with huge 7'5 PF and Center near the rim. Much more confident in taking that 3 pointer knowing you have rebounders to get the ball back if you miss.

And also they weren't getting the same type of players. Erik Armsteads help tremendously in this scheme