JUCO ILB Lavar Gardner [Illinois - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

10 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Gardner commit?

• Nebraska
    • Illinois
    • Kansas State

This poll is closed to new votes

247 has him at 5'11.. with that weight of 210  what position is he playing? He's not a freshman with the luxury to get to 230-240 in 5 years. Not that 5'11 would carry that great anyway. 

I guess he wanted N out of high school so that's a positive. Also if we are expecting linebackers to cover, his speed would be good.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

247 has him at 5'11.. with that weight of 210  what position is he playing? He's not a freshman with the luxury to get to 230-240 in 5 years. Not that 5'11 would carry that great anyway. 

I guess he wanted N out of high school so that's a positive. Also if we are expecting linebackers to cover, his speed would be good.

Lavonte David came in about 6ft and 210.  He was a decent football player.  Not saying that this guy is lavonte, but that size can be successful at the college level.  

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Lavonte David came in about 6ft and 210.  He was a decent football player.  Not saying that this guy is lavonte, but that size can be successful at the college level.  

David was 6'1 and two inches may not seem like much but that can have an impact on all kinds of things like reach. You're right that it's not a deal breaker but it is somewhat of a concern when we trot out an olb who is smaller than most safeties and some corners in the Big 10

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

David was 6'1 and two inches may not seem like much but that can have an impact on all kinds of things like reach. You're right that it's not a deal breaker but it is somewhat of a concern when we trot out an olb who is smaller than most safeties and some corners in the Big 10

I think they are honestly just looking for a hybrid speedy guy to use on obvious passing situations or against a quicker team that operates out of the spread 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Not every undersized LB is a David, a once in a decade player for Nebraska. 

Some are just undersized.

Yeah that is true.  I bet the staff is like, hey this guy is kind of small and not real good at football, lets offer him.  I am not saying this guy is going to be Lavonte, I am just saying that someone that size can be successful at the position.  

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO ILB Lavar Gardner [Illinois - Signed LOI]