OC or CEO

C N Red

I do think Scott could be much more energetic. I think hes trying way too hard to be like TO. Be yourself, be passionate, your players will follow.

Also more importantly, i beleive if he was more a CEO, like Saban, Day, Dantonio, Orgeron, Chryst, Dabo, etc he would be much more successful. He could focus on the "team" instead of offense and calling plays. He should learn from TO, be the final decision on calls, but not the guy calling the plays. TO started as OC/CEO but eventually gave OC duties up, which led them to the 90s domination. Frost has to give up the OC ego for our success.Be the CEO, the punisher and booster for all 3 aspects of the team(offense, defense, sts). Thats the only way this will work.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, C N Red said:

I do think Scott could be much more energetic. I think hes trying way too hard to be like TO. Be yourself, be passionate, your players will follow.

Also more importantly, i beleive if he was more a CEO, like Saban, Day, Dantonio, Orgeron, Chryst, Dabo, etc he would be much more successful. He could focus on the "team" instead of offense and calling plays. He should learn from TO, be the final decision on calls, but not the guy calling the plays. TO started as OC/CEO but eventually gave OC duties up, which led them to the 90s domination. Frost has to give up the OC ego for our success.Be the CEO, the punisher and booster for all 3 aspects of the team(offense, defense, sts). Thats the only way this will work.

I don't know what Dr. Tom did, as to any changes in his (perceived) role coaching and running the team.  I do know that HIS f#&%ING DEFENSE WAS AWESOME.  And I also know that for twenty years now OUR DEFENSE SUCKS PURPLE DISEASED CROW DROPPINGS.

Nice post.  I gave you one of those trophy thingies. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, C N Red said:

Also more importantly, i beleive if he was more a CEO, like Saban, Day, Dantonio, Orgeron, Chryst, Dabo, etc he would be much more successful.

This assumes that both Walters and Chinander are great coaches. I use the word "great" because that's what we're saying the standard is again.

And there is really no clear indication that this is the case.

So for the time being, I think Frost has to be heavily involved in the offense at a minimum in order for this thing to not tank any further.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

TO never gave up play calling duties. He called the plays for every game he ever coached.

This ^^^  It's one of the main reasons Solich struggled to replace him. Frankie was nowhere near the offensive mind and playcaller TO was.

Although the OP may have a valid point. I'm willing to give HCSF more time to get all the guys he needs and then see what his play calling looks like. But it has been a little suspicious and lackluster so far. Hard to really tell with the almost complete lack of line and player execution.

To the OP, Frost mentioned that at half time he has the O and Chin has the D.  I do think that if Frost is dedicated to flipping the culture (IMHO he is), it might be better to be viewed as the HC (CEO) and let Walters/Chin manage the O and D.  Not saying to give up OC duties, but perhaps take a more hands on approach in all 3 phases.  Maybe he does.  Just seems that in comments (Chin handles the D, I need to look at film), the locker room etc that Frost is not as involved in all 3 phases...Maybe look at even moving guys around from booth to field or vice-versa.  If you look at the resumes of the staff you do not have a great deal of experience in the OC/DC positions....Frost as a 4 year HC has the most. IMHO, it would be hard to be the HC/OC and not only try to teach the scheme to players, but also "oversee" the less experienced coordinators...

Doesn't Walters script the first "x" amount of plays to begin the game? It seems those go very well, but I'm not sure how much experience he has calling plays in the moment. There's a huge difference between the two. 

In addition, let's not pretend Scott wasn't previously a successful offensive coordinator. That is literally how he got a head coaching gig to begin with. I don't think this just disappears. I just think he tries to be too fancy with the current players he has on the roster. 

9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

TO never gave up play calling duties. He called the plays for every game he ever coached. Stop making up things that didn’t happen. 

Leave a drunk guy alone with his somehow idiotic statement. Not sure why i said that. Pretty obvious TO called the plays until he retired.

• Haha 4
5 hours ago, lo country said:

If you look at the resumes of the staff you do not have a great deal of experience in the OC/DC positions...

OTOH, remember when we were talking about how many guys on Riley's staff had experience as a coordinator?

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Frost has called plays at some of the highest levels of college football. I don't think his play calling is the issue. I think he's trying to call plays to make up for our major defincies on offense and at times it leads to what looks like head scratching play calls. 

Yeah, but he was calling plays that had the benefit of the OL, TE, WR being coached up to execute...our entire offense this year should have been predicated on designed rollouts with 2 options (hit read 1 or 2) and if they are not there get yards, combo in some base ISP's, toss sweeps and 3 step quick hits/tuck and run

And if that was effective you slowly build in more on top of that 

• Plus1 1