Frost's Frustrations

lo country

1 hour ago, Undone said:

It needs to be stated again: Many fans clearly assumed that the fairy tale story of an 0-12 UCF team being turned into a 12-0 team in two years' time was going to roughly happen here. Posters on this forum can back peddle and claim that they didn't think that, but that is pretty clearly what happened.

As the reality started to set in that year 2 was the same basic dumpster fire as year 1, both Frost and many fans again have blamed Riley for current failings.

I've asked several times: At what point is it no longer ok to blame Riley? Because if Frost says these same exact things verbatim by this point next season, it's going to be getting pretty old.

In my mind it's next year. The roster will be majority Frost's and most upperclassmen and players overall will have spent more time in Frost's program than Riley's. So, you can't blame Riley for culture at that point and you're hitting the point where your development should be making a difference. I don't think that means we should be winning the west necessarily, but bowl game at the absolute minimum.

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

In my mind it's next year. The roster will be majority Frost's and most upperclassmen and players overall will have spent more time in Frost's program than Riley's. So, you can't blame Riley for culture at that point and you're hitting the point where your development should be making a difference. I don't think that means we should be winning the west necessarily, but bowl game at the absolute minimum.

One could assume Bill Moos got his prediction of 6-6 from Frost. I doubt Moos would give a prediction unless he was well informed of what Frost really thought of the team behind closed doors. So that would be encouraging to me if behind closed doors Frost could see the team is not very good. 

It is possible that we could still hit the 6-6 record that Moos predicted. If we finish 4-8 or 5-7 then Frost and Moos would both have to be pretty discouraged since the team underperformed what they thought was a realistic expectation.

5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

One could assume Bill Moos got his prediction of 6-6 from Frost. I doubt Moos would give a prediction unless he was well informed of what Frost really thought of the team behind closed doors. So that would be encouraging to me if behind closed doors Frost could see the team is not very good. 

It is possible that we could still hit the 6-6 record that Moos predicted. If we finish 4-8 or 5-7 then Frost and Moos would both have to be pretty discouraged since the team underperformed what they thought was a realistic expectation.

I think they are both already frustrated.  But they understand why we've struggled.

I don't know if it's still true, but Moos, Osborne and former players were at practices this season that were closed to the media.

44 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I agree soon we turn the corner, this year all Sophomore, Junior and Senior players are Riley recruits. The Freshman influenced by the coaching change.  A few true freshman are on the field so that great.  Of course all players will soon have two years of strength and development no matter who recruited them (excluding new recruits for 2019).  By next year the physical and execution stuff should be sorted out, cant blame the last staff for discipline and I'm not sure how long it takes work in the weight room to pay off but so far the guys still don't seem physically prepared based on getting pushed around on the field.  

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think you're right. You have to imagine Frost felt pretty confident in a 6-6 season and was hopeful for things to click and it to be a lot better. The way it has played out has been very frustrating obviously.

32 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not that it changes the REALITY,  but it's worth noting that we really COULD be 7-2 without inexplicible meltdowns vs Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. So, from that perspective, those preseason predictions held a dose of credibility.

• Plus1 2

Landlord: “You coach somewhere like Nebraska, especially if you're from Nebraska, part of your job is to know and be on top of media and fan expectations. You know how it works, and you know how to behave accordingly.”

Frost knew how hungry the fans are. He wanted to give fans some immediate hope, and he wanted his team to raise their level of play to that expected of a 25th ranked team. In hindsight, in both cases that was a mistake. He should have lowballed everything and not put so much pressure on the team and himself.

This current group of players can’t rise to the level of 25th ranked team no matter what Frost does. He needs to pull back his verbal and physical signs of frustration because that’s not helping. Go into the Patient Professor mode and wait for his students to show signs of catching on. And of course, wait for the next crop of students. And Coach, smile more. Either smiles of happiness or utter disbelief.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Comish said:

Not that it changes the REALITY,  but it's worth noting that we really COULD be 7-2 without inexplicible meltdowns vs Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. So, from that perspective, those preseason predictions held a dose of credibility.

For me I would feel better if Frost thought he had a 6-6 team- but if he felt like they would be a dangerous team preseason I would be concerned about his ability to have an understanding of what talent we do or do not have. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

For me I would feel better if Frost thought he had a 6-6 team- but if he felt like they would be a dangerous team preseason I would be concerned about his ability to have an understanding of what talent we do or do not have. 

I had a different experience. I felt like the leadership of the program all talked about the goal of making a bowl. I think the media really played up the end of last season. Many of us (including myself to a degree) got really caught up in that. I think it's easy to forget what message was coming from where though. 

• Plus1 1