Frost's Frustrations

lo country

On 11/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, N is for nowledge said:

Is he wrong, how do you motivate kids that have no interest in getting better,  I think this was the point he made several times in the presser.  He was not wrong. We have kids on our team now and have for the past 20 yrs that are ok with being ok.  He’s changing a mentality and he doesn’t have enough kids that “care” to compensate for the ones that don’t.

Sure he's (partially) right. Many people would be surprised to learn the composition of many P5 teams and how much they "want it" is closer to the Husker locker room than they think. 

But we get it. We got it when he said it in his opening press conference. We got it when last year started off so poorly. We got it when everyone started getting physically ill during the first winter conditioning session. 

We get it. 

• Plus1 1

What Frost said about Joe Burrow and I quote: "You think he's better than what we got?" gives me great concern if it is truly what he said. It shows that he can’t distinguish real talent when he sees it. If Urban Meyer and Ohio state recruited him, he must be good. When was the last time Ohio state had a bad QB? If Frost and his coaches can’t identify talent, no wonder we are where we are. Think of Jurgens, he did not turn out good. How many others are not that good? 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

What Frost said about Joe Burrow and I quote: "You think he's better than what we got?" gives me great concern if it is truly what he said. It shows that he can’t distinguish real talent when he sees it. If Urban Meyer and Ohio state recruited him, he must be good. When was the last time Ohio state had a bad QB? If Frost and his coaches can’t identify talent, no wonder we are where we are. Think of Jurgens, he did not turn out good. How many others are not that good? 

Wait... you're writing Jurgens off???  As a freshman??

• Plus1 3
52 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

You're kidding right? 

You're talking about a guy whose protegie won the Heisman. He helped recruit Vernon Adams to Oregon from Eastern Washington. He recruited Justin Herbert who will be a top NFL pick this year. He identified Milton and Vedral at UCF. Regardless of what people think about Martinez this year the kid is talented and a lot of coaches wanted him even after missing his senior year. He identified and brought in Luke McCaffrey who many wouldn't recruit as a QB. And he had Logan Smothers committed before other big programs came calling. 

He signed the highest rated class at Nebraska in decades last year. Yes Jurgens had struggles at the beginning of year, but he's cleaned them up and is currently out best lineman. 

Ohio State had Burrows on their roster for three years and didn't think he was good enough to start. The little he played was not impressive. 

Choosing your talented freshmen over a transfer who couldn't find the field in three years is not a failure to identify talent. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Better coaching and we are sitting at 6 or 7 wins right now.

Oh but why stop there? Better coaching and we'd be UNDEFEATED NATIONAL CHAMPIONS FOREVER!!!!11one

49 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Wait... you're writing Jurgens off???  As a freshman??

Lots of people are. Heck, we've even got jackasses like this already writing off an entire class that's barely even seen the field yet:

On 11/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, TheSker said:

A good portion of Frost's initial recruiting class at NU has been a bust too......but too many of the guys already here have proven underdeveloped and soft.

Player development is apparently a foreign concept to a good chunk of our fanbase. Then again, we all witnessed the Mike Riley era, so maybe it's understandable that they just forgot that it exists.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You're kidding right? 

You're talking about a guy whose protegie won the Heisman. He helped recruit Vernon Adams to Oregon from Eastern Washington. He recruited Justin Herbert who will be a top NFL pick this year. He identified Milton and Vedral at UCF. Regardless of what people think about Martinez this year the kid is talented and a lot of coaches wanted him even after missing his senior year. He identified and brought in Luke McCaffrey who many wouldn't recruit as a QB. And he had Logan Smothers committed before other big programs came calling. 

He signed the highest rated class at Nebraska in decades last year. Yes Jurgens had struggles at the beginning of year, but he's cleaned them up and is currently out best lineman. 

Ohio State had Burrows on their roster for three years and didn't think he was good enough to start. The little he played was not impressive. 

Choosing your talented freshmen over a transfer who couldn't find the field in three years is not a failure to identify talent. 

First, even though Frost identified Vedral and brought him to Lincoln, don’t you think he deserves play time when Martinez is clearly struggling. What does that tell you about Vedral if a struggling Martinez is still a better option according to Frost.

Second, what have these high recruiting classes done thus far. Other than Wan’dale Robinson, who else has shown superior talent? We got beat by several teams with much lower recruiting classes this season. I know your response, we will be better next year once these recruits play, right? I guess we will see. We were also hoping for better results this season and it has not come to fruition.

Finally, Ohio State has had excellent QBs that kept winning so there was no reason to go with Joe Burrow. It speaks to Ohio State’s ability to recruit superior talent. If Martinez was the same player As the one who ended the season last year, we would not be having this conversation. 

Again, please understand that I am not calling for Frost’s head. I am just frustrated that he and his coaches seem so lost as to how to fix this mess. Blaming the players is not the right thing to do. He is the head coach and instead of blaming the players, why doesn’t he sit out players who have not bought in and play the ones who have bought in. I would take an average player who plays his heart out for the team than a four star recruit who is not invested in this team’s success. It is not as if the state of Nebraska is not paying Frost very handsomely. When are we going to see results!? It is a simple question.

Wan’dale is not a transfer. He’s a TRUE freshman who we got to reflip from his home state school. And he’s given more than could be expected.  Jurgens is a redshirt. Martinez is only a sophomore! We have 4 and 5 star lineman DEVELOPING this year as redshirts. We are real hot on Betts and Manning, could be instant talent. Mills has another year, and we finally have a kicker that’s healthy. 

Its been a damn bumpy road, but to act like the sky is falling even tho we been up on 3 opponents early and lost is crazy. One to two more clicks and we’ll be fine. And by fine I mean we’ll win those very soon and compete in others. 

We return like 19 dudes after a 60% roster flip! Get a grip. We’re young, inexperienced, and growing. I believe and can’t wait til we start winning so negative Nancy’s can pick on the next freshman or process.

Could Frost have toned down a little rhetoric? Yeah.  But he’s building competition and expectations. I like that. 

• Plus1 4
26 minutes ago, I am I said:

Wan’dale is not a transfer. He’s a TRUE freshman who we got to reflip from his home state school. And he’s given more than could be expected.  Jurgens is a redshirt. Martinez is only a sophomore! We have 4 and 5 star lineman DEVELOPING this year as redshirts. We are real hot on Betts and Manning, could be instant talent. Mills has another year, and we finally have a kicker that’s healthy. 

Its been a damn bumpy road, but to act like the sky is falling even tho we been up on 3 opponents early and lost is crazy. One to two more clicks and we’ll be fine. And by fine I mean we’ll win those very soon and compete in others. 

We return like 19 dudes after a 60% roster flip! Get a grip. We’re young, inexperienced, and growing. I believe and can’t wait til we start winning so negative Nancy’s can pick on the next freshman or process.

Could Frost have toned down a little rhetoric? Yeah.  But he’s building competition and expectations. I like that. 

I can only hope you are right. Although if we get embarrassed yet again this Saturday, it will be harder to keep being positive. Anything short of making a bowl is a huge disappointment given all the hype this summer.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Ummm ....jurgens is by far, as in not even close, our best oline player this year 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

First, even though Frost identified Vedral and brought him to Lincoln, don’t you think he deserves play time when Martinez is clearly struggling. What does that tell you about Vedral if a struggling Martinez is still a better option according to Frost.

Second, what have these high recruiting classes done thus far. Other than Wan’dale Robinson, who else has shown superior talent? We got beat by several teams with much lower recruiting classes this season. I know your response, we will be better next year once these recruits play, right? I guess we will see. We were also hoping for better results this season and it has not come to fruition.

Finally, Ohio State has had excellent QBs that kept winning so there was no reason to go with Joe Burrow. It speaks to Ohio State’s ability to recruit superior talent. If Martinez was the same player As the one who ended the season last year, we would not be having this conversation. 

Again, please understand that I am not calling for Frost’s head. I am just frustrated that he and his coaches seem so lost as to how to fix this mess. Blaming the players is not the right thing to do. He is the head coach and instead of blaming the players, why doesn’t he sit out players who have not bought in and play the ones who have bought in. I would take an average player who plays his heart out for the team than a four star recruit who is not invested in this team’s success. It is not as if the state of Nebraska is not paying Frost very handsomely. When are we going to see results!? It is a simple question.

Im really not sure if people come on here just started following Nebraska yesterday. Burrow wanted to come here, bo and his circus said not one word to him on his visit during camp.  Instead offered some jv te in tx to play qb.  MR tried to save it and frost had two capable qbs on roster at the time,  I imagine burrow wanted a sure thing as far as #1 went and that wasn’t going to happen here.  Also, what top recruiting classes?  We’ve been middle of the pack with a higher mark last yr....meaning true freshman.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

What a rambling mess of a take.  You first trash the players, then say "blaming the players isn't the right thing to do", then finish by trashing the players...lol.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Im really not sure if people come on here just started following Nebraska yesterday. Burrow wanted to come here, bo and his circus said not one word to him on his visit during camp.  Instead offered some jv te in tx to play qb.  MR tried to save it and frost had two capable qbs on roster at the time,  I imagine burrow wanted a sure thing as far as #1 went and that wasn’t going to happen here.  Also, what top recruiting classes?  We’ve been middle of the pack with a higher mark last yr....meaning true freshman.  

From the number of posts you have so far, it seems like you are the one that just started watching the Huskers yesterday. I have been a devoted fan all my life and I witnessed the entire Tom Osborne era. The state of Nebraska football over the past two decades has been nothing short of a horrible nightmare. When Frost was hired, I was the happiest man on earth as I am sure many fans were. I thought he will be able to change the culture. That is on me. I should not have had such high expectations given the past seasons but when Frost took this job, he promised the fans that he will right this ship. That means, at least, every year we should see some measurable progress. So, please tell me if anyone is seeing any progress. If they are then I must be blind and I will go and have my eyes checked. I am tired of koolaid drinkers who keep making excuses for the bad performances week in, week out. At what point do we admit that we are getting beat by much lesser talent? Does anyone think that we can beat Illinois if we played them this week? That should tell you where we are right now.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

From the number of posts you have so far, it seems like you are the one that just started watching the Huskers yesterday. I have been a devoted fan all my life and I witnessed the entire Tom Osborne era. The state of Nebraska football over the past two decades has been nothing short of a horrible nightmare. When Frost was hired, I was the happiest man on earth as I am sure many fans were. I thought he will be able to change the culture. That is on me. I should not have had such high expectations given the past seasons but when Frost took this job, he promised the fans that he will right this ship. That means, at least, every year we should see some measurable progress. So, please tell me if anyone is seeing any progress. If they are then I must be blind and I will go and have my eyes checked. I am tired of koolaid drinkers who keep making excuses for the bad performances week in, week out. At what point do we admit that we are getting beat by much lesser talent? Does anyone think that we can beat Illinois if we played them this week? That should tell you where we are right now.

This is the least talented team we've had since the late 60's

• Plus1 2