Frost's Frustrations

lo country

5 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

From the number of posts you have so far, it seems like you are the one that just started watching the Huskers yesterday. I have been a devoted fan all my life and I witnessed the entire Tom Osborne era. The state of Nebraska football over the past two decades has been nothing short of a horrible nightmare. When Frost was hired, I was the happiest man on earth as I am sure many fans were. I thought he will be able to change the culture. That is on me. I should not have had such high expectations given the past seasons but when Frost took this job, he promised the fans that he will right this ship. That means, at least, every year we should see some measurable progress. So, please tell me if anyone is seeing any progress. If they are then I must be blind and I will go and have my eyes checked. I am tired of koolaid drinkers who keep making excuses for the bad performances week in, week out. At what point do we admit that we are getting beat by much lesser talent? Does anyone think that we can beat Illinois if we played them this week? That should tell you where we are right now.

Frost may have spoke a little too highly of the team this yr coming in but keep in mind, when he speaks to the media he is speaking more to the team than fans.  He may have known some of the struggles that existed but was trying to raise confidence of the team, I dint know.  I find it hard to believe we look like world beaters in practice and a circus, at times, during the games.  Our oline is as bad as it’s ever been, that’s saying something since it has been pretty awful for the better part of 15 yrs.  that being said, anyone buying preseason hype followed their heart not their head.  Morgan was always going to be a huge loss, ozigbo, Gifford, and three oline.  None of those players have been replaced with any comparable play.  One could have noticed those issues prior to the season.  Am I happy, no, are the wheels coming off, far from it.

30 minutes ago, thatguy said:

Wow. It’s taken only one week for people to move into full fledged rationalization of what a poor season this has been. 

and we haven’t even played Wisconsin or Iowa yet...

giphy.gif

Meh.....it's more revealing each day how Riley ran the program.

And I think the vast majority believe Frost is fully committed to doing it right 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

Frost may have spoke a little too highly of the team this yr coming in but keep in mind, when he speaks to the media he is speaking more to the team than fans.  He may have known some of the struggles that existed but was trying to raise confidence of the team, I dint know.  I find it hard to believe we look like world beaters in practice and a circus, at times, during the games.  Our oline is as bad as it’s ever been, that’s saying something since it has been pretty awful for the better part of 15 yrs.  that being said, anyone buying preseason hype followed their heart not their head.  Morgan was always going to be a huge loss, ozigbo, Gifford, and three oline.  None of those players have been replaced with any comparable play.  One could have noticed those issues prior to the season.  Am I happy, no, are the wheels coming off, far from it.

No, I think he spoke way to highly of his team.  I don't know if he really believed it or if he was trying to pump up his team.  But, he oversold his team.  There is a difference between saying if we keep improving we can be good vs. we are better at most positions and are looking good. 

There are a lot of reason's this team is not as good as the year before.  Losing the guys you mentioned is a huge part of it.  They were good players and have not been replaced with players that are not  equal. But, losing those guys talent was one thing, they also lost a ton of leadership that has not been replaced. This senior class is not even close to having leaders.  I mean how does a grad transfer senior come on a team for 3 months and then get elected a captain.  That tells me they are short on leadership.  

This team lacks mature talent and leadership.  With all that being said they still should have beat Colorado and Purdue and maybe even Indiana.  Though I think Indiana is a decent team.  At a minimum this team should be 6-3 right now.  

I think Frost is frustrated by that.  Players make plays.  Frost and Company have made mistakes this year, but you can tell he is completely baffled by the sluggish play in the 3rd quarter. When you have never experienced something like that it is hard to fix.  I think he is frustrated by AM play this year.  He knows he is the best chance to win, but he hasn't played great.  The problem is he hasn't played terrible, he just hasn't played as well as last year.  He has shown flashes, just not anything that is consistent. The fact that our very good kicker has been hurt almost all year has hurt this team also.  

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just think a big portion of all these fan expectations were set up by Frost. If he would have tempered things from the start people wouldnt be expecting much this early. People are upset because they were told we might have filet mignon this year and we got stew meat.

He flat out said he didn't have Nebraska in his preseason top 25. He and other coaches said they are a 4-8 team until they prove otherwise. When he was asked about them being preseason favorites he said something like picks are picks and guesses and guesses until they play.

Yes he said they were better than last year and had improved across the board in strength and other coaches speak, but what was he supposed to say? "Welp looks like these guys aren't any better than last year. Guess we'll see what happens." I don't remember him ever saying "ya we'll see you all in Indy!"

I think they did their best to tamper expectations while also trying to motivate their team. The media and fans blew expectations out of the water.

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Yes he said they were better than last year and had improved across the board in strength and other coaches speak, but what was he supposed to say? "Welp looks like these guys aren't any better than last year. Guess we'll see what happens."

I think he truly believes we are better than last season and that has been what he has stuck to all season long. Nothing more really

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

No, I think he spoke way to highly of his team.  I don't know if he really believed it or if he was trying to pump up his team.  But, he oversold his team.  There is a difference between saying if we keep improving we can be good vs. we are better at most positions and are looking good. 

There are a lot of reason's this team is not as good as the year before.  Losing the guys you mentioned is a huge part of it.  They were good players and have not been replaced with players that are not  equal. But, losing those guys talent was one thing, they also lost a ton of leadership that has not been replaced. This senior class is not even close to having leaders.  I mean how does a grad transfer senior come on a team for 3 months and then get elected a captain.  That tells me they are short on leadership.  

This team lacks mature talent and leadership.  With all that being said they still should have beat Colorado and Purdue and maybe even Indiana.  Though I think Indiana is a decent team.  At a minimum this team should be 6-3 right now.  

I think Frost is frustrated by that.  Players make plays.  Frost and Company have made mistakes this year, but you can tell he is completely baffled by the sluggish play in the 3rd quarter. When you have never experienced something like that it is hard to fix.  I think he is frustrated by AM play this year.  He knows he is the best chance to win, but he hasn't played great.  The problem is he hasn't played terrible, he just hasn't played as well as last year.  He has shown flashes, just not anything that is consistent. The fact that our very good kicker has been hurt almost all year has hurt this team also.  

I agree that the leadership that was lost to graduation has hurt as much as anything.

As much roster flipping as Frost continues to do, it will be interesting to see what leaders emerge 

30 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think he truly believes we are better than last season and that has been what he has stuck to all season long. Nothing more really

Frost was a little more specific last night in the press conference when pressed about improvement from last year, considering our record at this point. He believes the team is better equipped, compared to last year, to slug it out with Wisconsin and Iowa because of improved strength. He also admitted it's hard to see improvement in some areas because some other areas have been a step back.... 

It needs to be stated again: Many fans clearly assumed that the fairy tale story of an 0-12 UCF team being turned into a 12-0 team in two years' time was going to roughly happen here. Posters on this forum can back peddle and claim that they didn't think that, but that is pretty clearly what happened.

As the reality started to set in that year 2 was the same basic dumpster fire as year 1, both Frost and many fans again have blamed Riley for current failings.

I've asked several times: At what point is it no longer ok to blame Riley? Because if Frost says these same exact things verbatim by this point next season, it's going to be getting pretty old.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Undone said:

I've asked several time: At what point is it no longer ok to blame Riley?

I think many, if not most, are past even caring that Riley mismanaged the program in every which way possible.

It's now about letting Frost keep the building blocks going.

We have what appears to be a very talented freshman class, and Frost seems optimistic about recruiting.

So at this point, rather than who's to blame, how about seeing some pieces being put in place for where the program is heading.  Frost knows those pieces better than any coach since Solich.

With all that said, Riley sucked.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think they did their best to tamper expectations while also trying to motivate their team. The media and fans blew expectations out of the water.

You coach somewhere like Nebraska, especially if you're from Nebraska, part of your job is to know and be on top of media and fan expectations. You know how it works, and you know how to behave accordingly. 

• Plus1 1