Burrow let us discuss

KazLong

Just blaming Bo and Beck for not recruiting Burrow is not correct.  Scott Frost turned down Burrow’s father inquiry before zJoe went to LSU from OSU.  

I think the comments that Burrow would not have done well if he had come to NU because our O linemen and receivers are inferior to LSU’s miss the mark too.

The real issue is who and how are players evaluated and recruited by the Husker coaches.  It’s not just Burrow being missed.  It’s also all of the other players that were evaluated by this same process and coaches.  We have had several sets of coaches recruiting and we have fallen short of being able to compete in the Bid 10 West let alone the entire Big 10 and the rest of the nation.  

Joe Burrow did not just develop his skills two years ago in Lafayette.  Apparently Urban Meyer missed it too.  But why didn’t the coaches in Lincoln see it?  How many really good offensive linemen have we missed?  
I don’t discount the need for good coaches to develop and improve players BUT WE HAVE NOT DONE VERY WELL IN THAT AREA EITHER.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know it’s popular to bash Frost for not trying to bring in Burrow, and that makes people doubt Frost’s ability to evaluate QB’s. However, Burrow was rated as a 5th-7th round draft pick before this season. Let’s not act like Frost is the only one who “misjudged” Burrow. I have never seen a 1-year improvement by a QB in my near 40 years of following college football like Burrow has. 

I think the frustration has less to do with how good Burrow is, and more to do with how bad Adrian is (now).  At the time of Frosts decision it seemed to be the right one. But mentally Burrow is on a completely different level than Adrian right now.  

You cant blame his shoulder injury on his NON-THROWING shoulder past the halfway point in the season.   If im honest, and not trying to spare someones feelings, AM is as off mentally as i have EVER seen a starting QB.  You could heal all his injuries, put LSU's offensive line in front of him, give him LSU's receivers, and he STILL will not time the throws right, not see open guys, hesitate on his decisions, and often miss open receivers even when he DOES see them, including simple screen passes that will not hit the runner in stride.  

I dont know what the kid is going through, and its nothing about Character, but even with plenty of fans admitting how off Martinez was this entire year, overall i dont think most of our fan base on here at least realizes just how bad he was.  It amazes me how many people will blame the OL, the Receivers, and the defense more than the QB, or blame injuries, some phantom sophmore slump theory, anything other than how mentally god aweful he was.  Its just the truth.

Someone mentioned how much of a difference 1 really good player makes.  Especially at QB.  With a healthy Vedral (a halfway decent QB) we are 7-5 this year instead of 5-7.  With a Joe Burrow level QB (and dont tell me Adrian was much faster than burrow or could buy any more time than Burrow with his legs this year) even if he is not a supposed dual threat QB, we are 9-3 this year.  Thats how much difference a very good QB vs a bad QB can make.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I think the frustration has less to do with how good Burrow is, and more to do with how bad Adrian is (now).  At the time of Frosts decision it seemed to be the right one. But mentally Burrow is on a completely different level than Adrian right now.  

You cant blame his shoulder injury on his NON-THROWING shoulder past the halfway point in the season.   If im honest, and not trying to spare someones feelings, AM is as off mentally as i have EVER seen a starting QB.  You could heal all his injuries, put LSU's offensive line in front of him, give him LSU's receivers, and he STILL will not time the throws right, not see open guys, hesitate on his decisions, and often miss open receivers even when he DOES see them, including simple screen passes that will not hit the runner in stride.  

I dont know what the kid is going through, and its nothing about Character, but even with plenty of fans admitting how off Martinez was this entire year, overall i dont think most of our fan base on here at least realizes just how bad he was.  It amazes me how many people will blame the OL, the Receivers, and the defense more than the QB, or blame injuries, some phantom sophmore slump theory, anything other than how mentally god aweful he was.  Its just the truth.

Someone mentioned how much of a difference 1 really good player makes.  Especially at QB.  With a healthy Vedral (a halfway decent QB) we are 7-5 this year instead of 5-7.  With a Joe Burrow level QB (and dont tell me Adrian was much faster than burrow or could buy any more time than Burrow with his legs this year) even if he is not a supposed dual threat QB, we are 9-3 this year.  Thats how much difference a very good QB vs a bad QB can make.

I know a good QB is a significant difference maker for a team’s success. It’s very possible that Burrow could have gotten NU to 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3. However, I think you are mistaken on how badly Martinez played this year. You seem to focus only on the negatives Martinez brought in each game. Yes, he did struggle in games, but he also made significant positive plays in those same games.

I think it’s laughable that you think Vedral would have done better than Martinez at QB. NU was 0-2 with Vedral at starter. Vedral made a back breaking mistake against Indiana, yet you give him the benefit of the doubt, and think he’s better than Martinez.

You seem to have a personal agenda against Adrian, and your posts for the past number of weeks have had the same tone.  You make wide, negative comments about the guy, and think he is the sole reason for NU’s struggles. Yes, Martinez could have played better in 2019, but the same could be said for the entire team. I don’t know if you are one of those small town Nebraskans who simply don’t like Martinez because of his last name or skin-tone, but you make it easy to make that assumption. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I don’t know if you are one of those small town Nebraskans who simply don’t like Martinez because of his last name or skin-tone, but you make it easy to make that assumption. 

I can't be the only one who sees the irony in this statement, can I?  Someone lumping a group of people together and saying they don't like them because said people supposedly lump a group of people together and don't like them?:dunno 

How small a town in Nebraska does it have to be to qualify for this stigma, by the way?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

In hindsight the receivers were as much to blame as any position this year...JD was doubled covered and the rest were slow.

I'm a big town Nebraskan and even I can see that Martinez was hesitant and inaccurate for most of the year as well, no matter what color his skin was that game. Meanwhile the great savior backups had little chance of beating the big teams while hamstrung with QB keepers, no running back help, and pass plays to the same guys behind the same line.

And Burrow with only two seconds is undoubtedly a more accurate passer and decision maker, but he still has a squad of great receivers at LSU that he would not have had here.

Good point about the Burrow miss being about recruiting in general. With eleven 4 stars coming in, we'll see next year if they have that figured out.

Burrow had a year no one saw coming. He is incredible, but if we had LSUs recieving corp I bet we would be happy with Martinez. Burrow is a 5th year senior as well. Not really fair to compare someone at the end of their career to someone halfway through. Burrow after 2 years of college hadn't done squat. If you would have thrown him in the fire year 2 I don't think he would have done to well. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know a good QB is a significant difference maker for a team’s success. It’s very possible that Burrow could have gotten NU to 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3. However, I think you are mistaken on how badly Martinez played this year. You seem to focus only on the negatives Martinez brought in each game. Yes, he did struggle in games, but he also made significant positive plays in those same games.

I think it’s laughable that you think Vedral would have done better than Martinez at QB. NU was 0-2 with Vedral at starter. Vedral made a back breaking mistake against Indiana, yet you give him the benefit of the doubt, and think he’s better than Martinez.

You seem to have a personal agenda against Adrian, and your posts for the past number of weeks have had the same tone.  You make wide, negative comments about the guy, and think he is the sole reason for NU’s struggles. Yes, Martinez could have played better in 2019, but the same could be said for the entire team. I don’t know if you are one of those small town Nebraskans who simply don’t like Martinez because of his last name or skin-tone, but you make it easy to make that assumption. 

Give the victimization politics a rest.  Martinez's performance speaks for itself.  Martinez had a great 2018 year.  I, like most, were singing his praises and expecting at the very least an incremental improvement.  The 2019 Martinez was inconsistent, indecisive and when running with the ball appeared to be looking for a good spot to lay on the ground or run out of bounds.  He certainly didn't use his 225lbs frame to his advantage. 

• Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

Give the victimization politics a rest.  Martinez's performance speaks for itself.  Martinez had a great 2018 year.  I, like most, were singing his praises and expecting at the very least an incremental improvement.  The 2019 Martinez was inconsistent, indecisive and when running with the ball appeared to be looking for a good spot to lay on the ground or run out of bounds.  He certainly didn't use his 225lbs frame to his advantage. 

I think the shoulder surgery explains a lot about his indecisiveness running the ball.  They wanted to redshirt Luke, and Martinez was simply better than Vedral in practice.  I don't think we need to read into anything further than that. Occam's razor I say.

• Fire 2
14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A couple things.  I admit that i have been beating this drum about Martinez for a while now.  The reason for it is that i believe very strongly that, although their were many reasons we are 5-7, the single biggest reason was our QB play.   The QB has more effect on the outcome of a game than any other single player on a team, not just for Nebraska.  

To point out how big of a difference the QB can make, with Burrow at QB we dont lose to Colorado, Indiana, Purdue, or Iowa.  That puts us at 9-3.  As good as Burrow or Fields are, we may even have beaten Wiscy.  Like i said its not personal its just sports.  Martinez seems like a great guy, someone id be proud of as a friend or son or brother.  But on the football field he was really bad, and it was more on the mental side of things, so i dont think the injuries had much to do with it.  Maybe things will click mentally and he will be very good next year.  If not i hope Luke is playing.   Adrian certainly has potential, and can take contact.  He has alot of talent thats for sure.  For the record his ethnicity has nothing to do with the fact i think he was a bad quarterback this year.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

On 11/11/2019 at 5:14 AM, huskerfan333157 said:

Im starting to wonder if people watch college football outside of Nebraska.  Burrow is doing well because he has a good oline, a good rb, and the second best wr corp in college football.  Jordan Jefferson is also a top 5-7 wr.

A lot of quarterbacks have good teams behind them, but few have put together seasons as impressive as Joe Burrow did this year.  He's pretty special. I think we can defend the decisions of Bo and Scott without minimizing the great QB who got away. It happens.