Burrow let us discuss

KazLong

First off, I very seldom feel sorry for a player that gets to this level and doesn't see the field or gets passed up by a player that is better. These guys have had athletic careers millions of kids could only dream of and they’re getting their college payed for.  So, if there is someone better than Adrian and gives us a better chance of winning, not just now but long term, then he should be playing. 

That said, I think there is one hell of a lot more going on here than just, Adrian sucked. O line, receivers, injury, center snaps....etc. He didn’t play well, but all of those things play into it. 

It’s going to be very interesting to see how this plays out going into next year. All of those factors I listed very well could have been address and will be improved for next year. 

So, now let the competition play out. We have three QBs that won’t be concerned about redshirt/no redshirt. Let the best man play. 

one thing I’m sure of though. Some fans will still want the backup. 

And, Burrow would have won us some games this year, but we wouldn’t have gone undefeated. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

First off, I very seldom feel sorry for a player that gets to this level and doesn't see the field or gets passed up by a player that is better. These guys have had athletic careers millions of kids could only dream of and they’re getting their college payed for.  So, if there is someone better than Adrian and gives us a better chance of winning, not just now but long term, then he should be playing. 

That said, I think there is one hell of a lot more going on here than just, Adrian sucked. O line, receivers, injury, center snaps....etc. He didn’t play well, but all of those things play into it. 

It’s going to be very interesting to see how this plays out going into next year. All of those factors I listed very well could have been address and will be improved for next year. 

So, now let the competition play out. We have three QBs that won’t be concerned about redshirt/no redshirt. Let the best man play. 

one thing I’m sure of though. Some fans will still want the backup. 

And, Burrow would have won us some games this year. 

I think my main issue with the lack of interest in Burrow is that I hope moving forward if we have an opportunity to bring in a quality player to provide depth or possibly win the job we do it. LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State were all in the playoff with transfer QB's. All 3 of those schools probably had better rated QB's on their roster already than we did. Yet they still pursued and took a transfer. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think my main issue with the lack of interest in Burrow is that I hope moving forward if we have an opportunity to bring in a quality player to provide depth or possibly win the job we do it. LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State were all in the playoff with transfer QB's. All 3 of those schools probably had better rated QB's on their roster already than we did. Yet they still pursued and took a transfer. 

Don’t disagree with that unless the player doesn’t fit what the coaches are looking for.....or there is no room. 

9 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

A couple things.  I admit that i have been beating this drum about Martinez for a while now.  The reason for it is that i believe very strongly that, although their were many reasons we are 5-7, the single biggest reason was our QB play.   The QB has more effect on the outcome of a game than any other single player on a team, not just for Nebraska.  

To point out how big of a difference the QB can make, with Burrow at QB we dont lose to Colorado, Indiana, Purdue, or Iowa.  That puts us at 9-3.  As good as Burrow or Fields are, we may even have beaten Wiscy.  Like i said its not personal its just sports.  Martinez seems like a great guy, someone id be proud of as a friend or son or brother.  But on the football field he was really bad, and it was more on the mental side of things, so i dont think the injuries had much to do with it.  Maybe things will click mentally and he will be very good next year.  If not i hope Luke is playing.   Adrian certainly has potential, and can take contact.  He has alot of talent thats for sure.  For the record his ethnicity has nothing to do with the fact i think he was a bad quarterback this year.  

I was thinking the bolded on Saturday. The difference between 5-7 and 9-3 was 21 points in those 4 games.  17 would have tied it and and 1 more point would have won each game. A defensive stop or one more touchdown or even a couple FG's that we were hesitant to try would have changed the perception of this season.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:26 AM, BackInTheDay said:

I can't be the only one who sees the irony in this statement, can I?  Someone lumping a group of people together and saying they don't like them because said people supposedly lump a group of people together and don't like them?:dunno 

How small a town in Nebraska does it have to be to qualify for this stigma, by the way?

Looking back, I shouldn't have used the "small-town Nebraskan".  I am sure there are plenty of racist Nebraska fans in Omaha and Lincoln, just as there are in the smaller cities/towns across Nebraska.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

One thing....I have no clue what LSU has for a QB when they went after Burrow. They may not have had a QB that the staff was confident in. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

You have a fair concern, but I think that Frost was looking at the team program he inherited as a long-term rebuild, so most of his decisions were focused on the long-term.  When Burrow was looking to transfer, he had Martinez and Gebbia on the roster competing for the starting job in 2018, McCaffrey was committed, and Smothers was close to committing (although he would never be on the roster with Burrow).  Frost was probably thinking that Gebbia and Martinez would provide each other the competition they needed to push each other, with McCaffrey doing that in 2019 (while also planning to redshirt).  It was probably unrealistic for Frost to think that Gebbia would not transfer as soon as he wasn't named the starter, but that's what happened.

Going forward, if Frost thinks the team is 1 player short of winning the conference or national championship, and a transfer QB is the type of player who can make that difference, I think Frost would take a chance on that transfer QB.  After all, it worked out for Frost and Osborne in the mid 90s.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

One thing....I have no clue what LSU has for a QB when they went after Burrow. They may not have had a QB that the staff was confident in. 

LSU had issues at QB play throughout the 2010s, prior to Burrow coming in.  LSU started former Purdue transfer Danny Etling in 2017.  He was pretty average and graduated.  Myles Brennan was his backup, and was average to poor in 2017 in limited duty.  I think Orgeron was looking hard at another transfer QB to come in.

Oklahoma had Kyler Murray in 2018, with Austin Kendall as his backup.  Kendall was decent QB and OU had recruited a stud QB in the 2019 class.  Many OU fans thought the true freshman might win the job in 2019, before Hurts was pursued as a grad transfer.  Kendall transferred to West Virginia where he was the starter for 9 games of 2019.

Ohio State had Tate Martelll (who has turned out to be a colossal bust) but that's about it.  They would have been crazy to not bring in Fields, who was one of the top QB's in the 2018 recruiting class, and was able to get a waiver to be eligible right away in 2019.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

When you would choose 21/22 starters from LSU over Nebraska I think you realize how much better that team is...

I could be wrong, but I would venture to guess OU would also choose nearly 21/22 starters from LSU over what they have.  We saw how much better LSU was over OU, yet OU was still in the playoffs.  Unless I'm completely underestimating what Frost and Chinander can do here both in terms of coaching and recruiting, we're going to be a lot closer to mirroring OU than we ever will LSU. 

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how Burrow coming to Nebraska would have been great for either party?  Maybe, just maybe we win a game or two more this year than we did.  However, at what cost?  When considering our current QB situation, who is still here or committed to being here had we brought in Burrow?  Frost is playing the long game.  Considering the success Burrow has had this year at LSU, there's not a snowballs chance he duplicates that kind of success here.  There's also not a snowballs chance that he would have been a near lock for being the first one taken in the NFL draft.  Burrow was at Ohio State.  Apparently, they missed as well.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

LSU had issues at QB play throughout the 2010s, prior to Burrow coming in.  LSU started former Purdue transfer Danny Etling in 2017.  He was pretty average and graduated.  Myles Brennan was his backup, and was average to poor in 2017 in limited duty.  I think Orgeron was looking hard at another transfer QB to come in.

Oklahoma had Kyler Murray in 2018, with Austin Kendall as his backup.  Kendall was decent QB and OU had recruited a stud QB in the 2019 class.  Many OU fans thought the true freshman might win the job in 2019, before Hurts was pursued as a grad transfer.  Kendall transferred to West Virginia where he was the starter for 9 games of 2019.

Ohio State had Tate Martelll (who has turned out to be a colossal bust) but that's about it.  They would have been crazy to not bring in Fields, who was one of the top QB's in the 2018 recruiting class, and was able to get a waiver to be eligible right away in 2019.

OSU doesn’t factor in since that’s where he was. It sounds like OU and LSU were not settled at all with what they thought could be decent QBs. 

like has been pointed out, Huskers had just signed 2AM and recruiting Mccaffery hard and probably getting him. Plus, we had Gebbia. 

I can see why others pursued him more than us. 

23 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I could be wrong, but I would venture to guess OU would also choose nearly 21/22 starters from LSU over what they have.  We saw how much better LSU was over OU, yet OU was still in the playoffs.  Unless I'm completely underestimating what Frost and Chinander can do here both in terms of coaching and recruiting, we're going to be a lot closer to mirroring OU than we ever will LSU. 

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how Burrow coming to Nebraska would have been great for either party?  Maybe, just maybe we win a game or two more this year than we did.  However, at what cost?  When considering our current QB situation, who is still here or committed to being here had we brought in Burrow?  Frost is playing the long game.  Considering the success Burrow has had this year at LSU, there's not a snowballs chance he duplicates that kind of success here.  There's also not a snowballs chance that he would have been a near lock for being the first one taken in the NFL draft.  Burrow was at Ohio State.  Apparently, they missed as well.

I would hope this game was a wakeup call for Oklahoma that they need to become more physical. The 2 hand touch football thats played in the pac12 and big12 does not match up well to Big10 and SEC football. Or the top of the ACC like clemson. 

So Oklahoma needs to build their team to compete with Big10 and SEC physical football and not just try to be the best of the big12. I think they have and can get similiar talent to LSU- the recruiting rankings say they can and do. They just need to change their approach. Much like Nebraska had to change their approach to more speed in the early 90's. 

On 12/28/2019 at 10:02 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Burrow likes to remind the media that Nebraska turned him down, but it will be interesting to see if Burrow has that same type of vitriol for Ryan Day and Ohio State who was the OC who chose Dwayne Haskins over Burrow in 2018. 

I dont know if its Joe reminding the media or if it's the media making it a point to bring it up and remind Joe. 

He was offered by Riley's staff. If he wanted to be here so bad he could have been. He made the right choice and hes now a walking soon to be millionaire. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OSU doesn’t factor in since that’s where he was. It sounds like OU and LSU were not settled at all with what they thought could be decent QBs. 

like has been pointed out, Huskers had just signed 2AM and recruiting Mccaffery hard and probably getting him. Plus, we had Gebbia. 

I can see why others pursued him more than us. 

I included OU and Ohio State because it was commented that they pursued transfer QB’s even when they probably have better luck recruiting QB’s recently. 

17 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I would hope this game was a wakeup call for Oklahoma that they need to become more physical. The 2 hand touch football thats played in the pac12 and big12 does not match up well to Big10 and SEC football. Or the top of the ACC like clemson. 

So Oklahoma needs to build their team to compete with Big10 and SEC physical football and not just try to be the best of the big12. I think they have and can get similiar talent to LSU- the recruiting rankings say they can and do. They just need to change their approach. Much like Nebraska had to change their approach to more speed in the early 90's. 

Physicality wasn't their problem Saturday. They didn't have the secondary to cover LSUs passing game. OU stuffed the run, but the LSU receiving corp was too good, they couldn't cover them. That was the difference in the game and it was a big difference