Burrow let us discuss

KazLong

On 1/14/2020 at 8:41 AM, nebraskafatman said:

Personally, the huskers winning 5-6 more games a year and playing in bowls would make me seriously ill. I would be pining for NC every year, and doing damage to my heart with high blood pressure.

I also could not afford the high ticket cost for the big championship, NC simi's and NC game

we are 1960's era K st. Hopefully Frost is our Jim Snyder. 

I'd settle for Bill.

32 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

On a serious note, I enjoyed watching Burrow the past two games.  He recognized one on one opportunities and threw the ball allowing for his receiver to make a play.  So many college QB's look for guys who are open before delivering the ball.  Having good receivers helps, but he did what he needed to do.  It's a team game.  Let your teammates do some work.

I noticed that too but couldn't help but wonder if that ultimately hurts his NFL career. You don't get those same favorable matchups in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I noticed that too but couldn't help but wonder if that ultimately hurts his NFL career. You don't get those same favorable matchups in the NFL. 

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but you don't do what he did statistically (TD's, completion %, total yards) without some serious talent.  In listening to talking heads, he grasped the scheme quickly and can process incredibly fast.  I still think a lot of his success was Joe Brady.  Having a scheme designed around your talents didn't hurt.  Neither did the talent around him.  

It will interesting watching how he does next year.  See if he was a product of a perfect storm at LSU.  His statistics were significantly better in 2019 than 2018.  Looked like a completely different guy playing QB statistically....

Games/Attempts/Completions/Comp %/Yrsd attempt/Ave yards attempt/TD's/INT's/QB rating.  

*2018 LSU SEC JR QB 13 219 379 57.8 2894 7.6 7.9 16 5 133.2
*2019 LSU SEC SR QB 15 402 527 76.3 5671 10.8 12.5 60 6 202.0

Joe Brady factor looks pretty positive.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Teams with an excellent receiver have these opportunities with their #2 guys.  When the Steelers had Antonio Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster had a ton of one on one opportunities and definitely took advantage of them.  Now as a #1, Juju struggled mightily. He was injured which may have been the culprit so we'll see next year if he can be a legitimate Batman or just a really good Robin.  

10 hours ago, lo country said:

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but you don't do what he did statistically (TD's, completion %, total yards) without some serious talent.  In listening to talking heads, he grasped the scheme quickly and can process incredibly fast.  I still think a lot of his success was Joe Brady.  Having a scheme designed around your talents didn't hurt.  Neither did the talent around him.  

It will interesting watching how he does next year.  See if he was a product of a perfect storm at LSU.  His statistics were significantly better in 2019 than 2018.  Looked like a completely different guy playing QB statistically....

Games/Attempts/Completions/Comp %/Yrsd attempt/Ave yards attempt/TD's/INT's/QB rating.  

*2018 LSU SEC JR QB 13 219 379 57.8 2894 7.6 7.9 16 5 133.2
*2019 LSU SEC SR QB 15 402 527 76.3 5671 10.8 12.5 60 6 202.0

Those are video game numbers.  Amazing.

54 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Teams with an excellent receiver have these opportunities with their #2 guys.  When the Steelers had Antonio Brown, Juju Smith-Schuster had a ton of one on one opportunities and definitely took advantage of them.  Now as a #1, Juju struggled mightily. He was injured which may have been the culprit so we'll see next year if he can be a legitimate Batman or just a really good Robin.  

dont forget who his qbs were.

I think it would have been nice to get Burreauxs out of high school.  He'd have still had less than top grade players around him for the nost part, so hard to tell what success he might have brought.

As far as getting him after he transferred out of tOSU, after some thought, I'm glad he didn't end up here.  He seems to be an upgrade from our current QBs, but next fall, we'd be back at square zero.  At least now we have three guys who seem serviceable and should know the system, as well as a top QB recruit coming in.  It just feels that having Burrows here would have been another delay toward true program development,

Final comment...it was truly a fun thing to watch him play this year.  That kid is great, and has a great team around him.

14 hours ago, lo country said:

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but you don't do what he did statistically (TD's, completion %, total yards) without some serious talent.  In listening to talking heads, he grasped the scheme quickly and can process incredibly fast. 

Agree for sure.. I am just like everybody else, trying to wrap my head around his season after never looking that amazing prior. Maybe it is real and I am absolutely fine with that. I like the kid a lot and its a great story with hopefully a lot more chapters to be written. That said, if there are chinks in the armor, the NFL will find and expose them. It will be interesting to watch him over the next 5 years. Jameis Winston can put up playstation numbers but he's on the verge of losing his job because he throws open a lot of receivers which in turn, throws open a lot of safeties and cornerbacks. 

We should keep this thread going to remind us how we let a 4 star QB who wanted to be a Husker his entire life go to our conference rival and catch splinters for two years before transferring out of conference to win the Heisman and lead his team to the National Championship.
It's our own Michael Jordan high school basketball story.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 months later...