Burrow let us discuss

KazLong

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The family history and the part where Ohio State went 13-1 while the Huskers went 5-7.  :dunno

So... family history is a bigger story than literally being in their QB room, on their practice field, working with their coaches.... ????

That makes literally zero sense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, knapplc said:

So... family history is a bigger story than literally being in their QB room, on their practice field, working with their coaches.... ????

That makes literally zero sense.

Not really.  Again they went 13-1 and had the #3 guy in the Heisman voting.  Having Burrow doesn't make a lot of difference to them.

We went 5-7, had questionable QB play and lost four games by a TD or less.  It's not much of a stretch to think Burrow could have made quite a difference in our season.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Mavric said:

Not really.  Again they went 13-1 and had the #3 guy in the Heisman voting.  Having Burrow doesn't make a lot of difference to them.

We went 5-7, had questionable QB play and lost four games by a TD or less.  It's not much of a stretch to think Burrow could have made quite a difference in our season.

So coaches who had personal knowledge of his abilities passing on a Heisman winner are less on the hook than coaches who didn't see him in every practice, work with him in the QB room, and know him for years.

Ohio State could have won the National Championship with 2019 Joe Burrow.

Nebraska maybe could have made a bowl game with 2019 Joe Burrow.

Yeah. I really see that point. We super should have known.

DARN YOU SCOTT FROST!!!!!1!!!!11!!!eleven!!!

<shakesfistatsky.png.>

• Plus1 4

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So coaches who had personal knowledge of his abilities passing on a Heisman winner are less on the hook than coaches who didn't see him in every practice, work with him in the QB room, and know him for years.

Ohio State could have won the National Championship with 2019 Joe Burrow.

Nebraska maybe could have made a bowl game with 2019 Joe Burrow.

Yeah. I really see that point. We super should have known.

DARN YOU SCOTT FROST!!!!!1!!!!11!!!eleven!!!

<shakesfistatsky.png.>

Interesting take. I mean there was more that went into Haskins starting over Burrow, but lets just forget about Burrow injuring his hand and Haskins coming off the bench and winning the Michigan game. 

I am just glad that it worked out well for Haskins and Burrow.

• Plus1 1

Less irritated he didn't end up at Nebraska the second time. Much more pissed Pelini/Beck didn't take him more seriously out of high school. I think had he been pulled on board early on, I bet he stays through the coaching transition. Maybe even gives Riley someone to push Armstrong, especially in '16, my personal opinion with better QB play we win the division that year, and Banker is retained and we at least make a bowl for '17. Lots of hypotheticals but not signing pursuing him out of HS was a huge mistake. 

Beck had pleny of time to recruit Burrow but nevertheless, they settled on future North Texas Mean Green DE Kevin Dillman. Like many of Pelini/Beck QB targets, was gifted athletically, but were major projects to be successful D1 QBs(Though I'd put some respect on Martinez's JR season but he had his issues as a passer). JB would've been much more polished as a passer and an actual QB that could make plays when facing teams like Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin that make you play QB. Just seemed Pelini/Beck were more enamoured with physical traits than the actual ability to read defenses, ball placement and the commitment to being a student of the game. 

My apologies for the long post, but I still haven't let go of the clown show recruiting at QB that went on during that tenure.

• Thanks 1

I have the feeling Burrow is fostering this narrative in the media over the last year.  And, quite frankly, I don't blame him.  He really wanted to play for Nebraska and we thumbed our noses at him.  He's on top of the world and has no problem throwing it back at us.

I think he has a chance to be a very good QB in the NFL.  However, his WRs and OL made him look great last year.  Cincinnati better invest in some good ones, or his talents are going to be wasted there just as much as they would have been at Nebraska.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

As others have stated, the ultimate blame for Burrow not being a Husker is due to Pelini and Beck.  They were the ones who didn't recruit Burrow in the first place.  Nobody expected Burrow to blossom to what he did in his senior year, and any blame on Frost for not bringing him in as a transfer is 20-20 hindsight.  

• Plus1 1