Burrow let us discuss

KazLong

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have the feeling Burrow is fostering this narrative in the media over the last year.  And, quite frankly, I don't blame him.  He really wanted to play for Nebraska and we thumbed our noses at him.  He's on top of the world and has no problem throwing it back at us.

I think he has a chance to be a very good QB in the NFL.  However, his WRs and OL made him look great last year.  Cincinnati better invest in some good ones, or his talents are going to be wasted there just as much as they would have been at Nebraska.  

This is a very good take.  It will be interesting if AM returns to be a top 5 QB this year and JB stumbles at the next level.

36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

As others have stated, the ultimate blame for Burrow not being a Husker is due to Pelini and Beck.  They were the ones who didn't recruit Burrow in the first place.  Nobody expected Burrow to blossom to what he did in his senior year, and any blame on Frost for not bringing him in as a transfer is 20-20 hindsight.  

Also - SF has shown every sign that he is doing the long approach to getting where he wants this to be.  Bringing in a transfer QB for 1 season doesn't do much for us.

I don't understand why this is a story at all.  The guy won the Heisman, and he also won a NC.  He would have done neither of those things had he went to NU.  In fact, there's a chance the guy never starts a game here.  His style of football was different than what Beck and Bo was trying to do.  He didn't fit Frost's system either.  The only chance he would have had would have been under Riley. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

As others have stated, the ultimate blame for Burrow not being a Husker is due to Pelini and Beck.  They were the ones who didn't recruit Burrow in the first place.  Nobody expected Burrow to blossom to what he did in his senior year, and any blame on Frost for not bringing him in as a transfer is 20-20 hindsight.  

He would have added depth.  We certainly could use that considering the abilities of our backups.  

1 minute ago, southernoregonhusker said:

He would have added depth.  We certainly could use that considering the abilities of our backups.  

Burrow was looking for a school where he would start right away.  He wasn't going to settle for being a back-up.  That's why he transferred from Ohio State in the first place.

18 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

One would think Pelini and Beck, two coaches from Ohio,  would gladly welcome the player of the year in the state of Ohio. There are many fine football coaches from that state. Living proof that these two a$$hats do not fit in that category.

We all know how it turned out and it doesn’t look good. 

Problem was, back then, people were saying WTF? Too. 

it’s not just hind sight is 20/20. 

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I doubt LSU told him he would start on day 1.  Most schools would have told him that he had a chance to start assuming he won the battle for the position.  

Burrow’s famial ties would have turned Pelini off.  He wasn’t really a legacy coach. 

God help us if the season is cancelled this fall. The sooner we can play games and hopefully win some of them, the less the cloud of Joe Burrow will hang over Lincoln like a toxic fart.

Anyone and everyone that has even a tiny axe to grind with UNL and/or Frost is pointing and laughing now, burying the Big Red in schadenfreude. Iowa fans can't get enough of it. It's just one more lesson Frost has learned the hard way here: say as little as possible to or around reporters, because they took what was actually an innocuous question and turned it into the biggest out-of-context dunk I can remember.  Trey Wingo has earned the title of Biggest ESPN Douchebag, a big accomplishment for that organization. 

• Fire 1
On 4/23/2020 at 11:19 PM, Mavric said:

Not really.  Again they went 13-1 and had the #3 guy in the Heisman voting.  Having Burrow doesn't make a lot of difference to them.

We went 5-7, had questionable QB play and lost four games by a TD or less.  It's not much of a stretch to think Burrow could have made quite a difference in our season.

Joe had Joe...And a stable of NFL draft picks....What did NU have to support him?  Joe's Senior year looks like the outlier compared to his first 3.  I would have taken a returning AM over returning JB in 2019 based on 2018 numbers.  Coach O got Brady who completely revamped the passing game and built that O around JB.  I don't think NU currently has the coaching talent that LSU has/had to initiate that type of change in one year.  Not yet.  

JB wasn't even on the Vegas radar for Heisman to start 2019.  Guess who was....

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Heisman-Trophy-Vegas-odds-2019-Tua-Tagovailoa-Trevor-Lawrence-Adrian-Martinez-129631711/#129631711_19

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I doubt LSU told him he would start on day 1.  Most schools would have told him that he had a chance to start assuming he won the battle for the position.  

Read a quote that LSU knew what they got when they got Joe.....Recruited by another Nebraska guy...

"You know, I think they found me," said Burrow, immediately pointing to the way Busch sold him to LSU head coach Ed Orgeron. "Coach Busch stood on the table for me with Coach 'O.' He was like, 'If we get this guy, we're going to win the national championship.'" 

That's almost the way Busch remembers it.

"I know this for sure: I told Coach Orgeron we'll get to the (four-team) playoff for sure if we get Joe," Busch recalls. "I believe I told Joe we'll win it all if we get him. I knew how good we were around him. I knew we had dudes. But the biggest thing, and the reason I was on the table for Joe so hard, was because I knew how competitive and how tough he was."

https://www.themountaineer.com/sports/national/steven-m-sipple-tip-of-the-cap-to-bill-busch-who-pulled-off-one-of/article_342cf7fd-259a-5988-b139-ade853528a2b.html