Wisconsin Week Pressers

Mavric

Ok, if you don't have high spirits this late into the season, maybe I get it because you're 4-5 and it has been another brutal year on the gridiron. However, this is where the separation between a player and non-player begin.

Are you pouting and down in the dumps and having zero desire in the remaining outcome and just want this thing to end? Or are you seeing this down spirit as motivation to go out there and start winning and finish the season on a high note? That is the difference in mentality between success and failure. 

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Ok, if you don't have high spirits this late into the season, maybe I get it because you're 4-5 and it has been another brutal year on the gridiron. However, this is where the separation between a player and non-player begin.

Are you pouting and down in the dumps and having zero desire in the remaining outcome and just want this thing to end? Or are you seeing this down spirit as motivation to go out there and start winning and finish the season on a high note? That is the difference in mentality between success and failure. 

Right, I could see it being a bit hard to be excited with the way the season has gone but at the same time if you don't want to be here, GTFO.  That is the kind of stuff that is dragging us down.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Right, I could see it being a bit hard to be excited with the way the season has gone but at the same time if you don't want to be here, GTFO.  That is the kind of stuff that is dragging us down.

This is the point in the season where you decide it's time to prove everyone wrong and be determined to get some respect as a team. No one is expecting you to beat Wisconsin and Iowa to get bowl eligible. Well how about you dig deep and find what is needed to try and prove those doubters wrong and demand respect for how many years of effort you've put into being here.

Unfortunately this is where I think most of this team falls short. I've seen it too often vs Wisconsin in the past and Minnesota this year. Just get trucked over and seemingly don't care that you're getting embarrassed and completely owned. That is the culture people talk about needing to change.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

Unfortunately this is where I think most of this team falls short. I've seen it too often vs Wisconsin in the past and Minnesota this year. Just get trucked over and seemingly don't care that you're getting embarrassed and completely owned. That is the culture people talk about needing to change.

My question here, I guess, would be how can you gauge a team ‘not caring’ simply by evaluating the results of their performance?  Does Mo Barry not care because he failed to fill a gap that led to a long run in the Gopher game?

i would agree that this stuff is in line with the ‘culture’ in that it is a nebulous thing that frustrated fans can point to without fear of being disproved...and provides the convenience of blaming players solely. 

• Plus1 4
53 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

My question here, I guess, would be how can you gauge a team ‘not caring’ simply by evaluating the results of their performance?  Does Mo Barry not care because he failed to fill a gap that led to a long run in the Gopher game?

i would agree that this stuff is in line with the ‘culture’ in that it is a nebulous thing that frustrated fans can point to without fear of being disproved...and provides the convenience of blaming players solely. 

No, but when you get beat time and time again and seem to not figure it out and find a way to correct your errors, that falls into making some think you aren't caring, because what are you doing differently to avoid being beat again and again? Mo Berry cares, you can see that with how he plays. Players are going to get beat from time to time and make mental errors, but it's reducing those repeated mental errors. Or when your teammate is continually getting beat, talk to them, coach them yourself and get their head back into the game, fire them up. 

It's the performance we saw vs Minnesota, most notably when Minnesota lines up and tells you exactly what they are going to do over and over again and there is zero sense of anyone on the D firing each other up to refuse to get embarrassed like that. Quiet frankly, I wouldn't have minded even some sort of frustrated personal foul penalty as at least it would show someone was fed up with getting steam rolled. 

2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

No, but when you get beat time and time again and seem to not figure it out and find a way to correct your errors, that falls into making some think you aren't caring, because what are you doing differently to avoid being beat again and again? Mo Berry cares, you can see that with how he plays. Players are going to get beat from time to time and make mental errors, but it's reducing those repeated mental errors. Or when your teammate is continually getting beat, talk to them, coach them yourself and get their head back into the game, fire them up. 

It's the performance we saw vs Minnesota, most notably when Minnesota lines up and tells you exactly what they are going to do over and over again and there is zero sense of anyone on the D firing each other up to refuse to get embarrassed like that. Quiet frankly, I wouldn't have minded even some sort of frustrated personal foul penalty as at least it would show someone was fed up with getting steam rolled. 

Or maybe our defense was over hyped all along.  Perhaps they got a little too full of themselves with the offseason hype when in reality, they were just showing up against a suspect offense in practice everyday.  

After watching minnesota roll with penn st, i dont think our loss came down to not caring, i think it came down to us matching up with a superior team talent and coaching wise across the board.  

The culture/not caring story line is nothing more than an excuse for being sub par talent wise coupled with mediocre coaching

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Or maybe our defense was over hyped all along.  Perhaps they got a little too full of themselves with the offseason hype when in reality, they were just showing up against a suspect offense in practice everyday.  

After watching minnesota roll with penn st, i dont think our loss came down to not caring, i think it came down to us matching up with a superior team talent and coaching wise across the board.  

The culture/not caring story line is nothing more than an excuse for being sub par talent wise coupled with mediocre coaching

Yep...I think there are very few players that don’t care and they probably are the ones not playing.