Wisconsin Week Pressers

Mavric

24 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

This feels like a red flag being thrown up. We are not a disciplined defense. We're regularly forgetting where the help comes from and how to adjust. Will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday. 

Yeah, I mean I didn't need that quote to be worried but it sums up the problems pretty well. And the don't seem to be problems we're well equipped to address.

Ruud had an interesting quote last year too, someone asked if it was easier to prepare the LBs for a "simple" power run team instead of a spread one. He mentioned the difficulty of not only the shifts and everything, but how fullbacks and TEs inserting add gaps - so maybe a guy had the C gap but he also needs to know which side of the gap to attack when a FB comes barreling through. The communication better be there (which could be fixed over a bye week in theory) as well as the understanding (less likely to have been fixed).

So a simple run team is harder to prepare for.....Because most HS kids don't see 2 back sets.......Hmmm.  I'm sure I'm reading way too much into that. Or Ruud's comments...

As far as any O that forces our D to make the proper reads, set the edge, or shoot the correct gaps has caused us problems.  Spread, power, RPO, etc...

I'm hoping to see a much improved NU team Saturday. Just not hopeful...

• Plus1 1

Wisconsin is the epitome of a program system. No matter who the coach is, the Badgers are consistently the same. Alvarez is over bearing, but his control is the reason Wisconsin has had the success that they have had. You look at the coaches they've had and it's the Wisconsin system that has been the underlying success story.

Bielema? Was he really that good to win as much as he did at Wisconsin? I don't know, he seems like a great assistant coach that inherited some great talent Alvarez left behind and a system well in place. The system kept going and Bielema just sort of had to steer the ship and not go off course. 

Anderson? He arrived and Wisconsin just kept doing what they were doing. Same as before he arrived and same as after he left. He wasn't there that long to show much of what he could do, but again it was the system just churning.

Chryst? At this point it's just look at Wisconsin as a name and not the coach, because it doesn't seem to matter. Wisconsin just keeps doing the same thing over and over. But I will say besides Wisconsin's team that had Wilson, I think Chryst has brought in the most talented group of Badgers. Yet oddly enough, they keep doing the same thing as they did 10,6,5,4,2 years ago. Currently with 2 losses and a survive vs Iowa, and suddenly Wisconsin is on the outside looking in for a B1G West title. It's really odd. 

Point is, Wisconsin is going to keep being Wisconsin. They're beatable as their system has shown over the last 20 years and Chryst may not be all that great of a coach and is more a product of the machine that is Wisconsin.

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

It appeared that Darrion Daniels did not practice today

This worries me. He's been good, and when he's healthy we haven't been playing Damion as much as I expected.

In Ruud's interview, who is he talking about on the first question? Question was about the guy getting bigger so I assume it's a young guy, but his response was mentioning he was cutting fat and working on his diet rather than getting 'bigger.' Just can't hear who it was, but I'm assuming not Henrich because he doesn't seem to have a body type that needs reshaped, just bulked up.