3 games left and possible bowl game

BoNeyard

With 3 games left and a possible bowl game that means there are 4 games left to the season. That also means that any intended redshirt that has not played in a game this year can play the rest of the season without burning their redshirt. 

With all the talk about some players still not buying in and all the talk that has come along with that, do you think we start to see a large number of Freshman playing the rest of the season? I for one would welcome it. 

• Plus1 1

Depends on if the coaches think they can help us win. I know it seems like a longshot, but if we can pull 2 out of 3 the bowl practices/game would be a much bigger benefit than throwing them out for a couple series against Maryland. I think we'll see some, but they haven't given up on the season to the point where they'll just try guys they don't think are ready.

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I don't see this staff playing them.  I think they have a "plan" and are sticking to it regardless.

Other than risking longer term injury, which can happen on any given play in any given game, I am not sure I see the negatives to sending out a Freshman you're going to redshirt out against Wisconsin and Iowa and letting them see first hand what it is going to take in the offseason to be better than them.

• Plus1 1

More specifically, I'd say:

QB - McCaffrey - probably, if we need him. Our QBs are always dinged up.

RB - Johnson hopefully just in 1 more, and it'll probably be a single play or something dumb.

WR - I'm sure Chase will play another one or two, but from what I've heard Nance and Houston are still on the scout team so doubt it for them.

TE/WR - Hickman seems to be in line to play, he's got 2 games he can use.

OL - Maaaybe Benhart/Piper, but I'd guess only if there's an injury.

DL - Keem Green should play in all 3, not a freshman though. I'd love to see Robinson, but again probably an injury or blowout of MAryland thing.

LB - Dear Lord I hope so for Henrich and Hannah. But again, feels like only for injury/blowout, maybe special teams.

DB - They've thrown the DBs out for a game or two each on special teams, I expect more of the same. Would be pleasantly surprised to see them on defense but don't expect to.

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Other than risking longer term injury, which can happen on any given play in any given game, I am not sure I see the negatives to sending out a Freshman you're going to redshirt out against Wisconsin and Iowa and letting them see first hand what it is going to take in the offseason to be better than them.

If we think we can win, the issue is a freshman not knowing what to do and giving up a back breaking play. Our upperclassman are good enough at doing that, so if it's a higher risk I get the aversion. Frost talked about our narrow margin for error because of talent earlier in the year - if we had more margin for error, I think they would work more freshmen in.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BoNeyard said:

I agree.  I understand the "injury" issue, but we are running Wan'dale in between the tackles.....Let them play. See how they fare against the B1G boys of the West in Wisky and Iowa.....  

Great point about them seeing first hand what they are up against for the next for years. Nothing like live competition to se what it will take.  I am just guessing going up against our 1's on either side isn't like going up against Minnie.....or Wisky or Iowa or OSU....

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

RB - Johnson hopefully just in 1 more, and it'll probably be a single play or something dumb.

WR - I'm sure Chase will play another one or two, but from what I've heard Nance and Houston are still on the scout team so doubt it for them.

DL - Keem Green should play in all 3, not a freshman though. I'd love to see Robinson, but again probably an injury or blowout of MAryland thing.

LB - Dear Lord I hope so for Henrich and Hannah. But again, feels like only for injury/blowout, maybe special teams.

DB - They've thrown the DBs out for a game or two each on special teams, I expect more of the same. Would be pleasantly surprised to see them on defense but don't expect to.

If we think we can win, the issue is a freshman not knowing what to do and giving up a back breaking play. Our upperclassman are good enough at doing that, so if it's a higher risk I get the aversion. Frost talked about our narrow margin for error because of talent earlier in the year - if we had more margin for error, I think they would work more freshmen in.

We have had years of back breaking plays given up by the current upperclassmen. 

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I thought I read today that Frost said Hickman is one of our best perimeter blockers.......Why not use him more. If nothing else to help our sh!tty screens we continue to run....

2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

We have had years of back breaking plays given up by the current upperclassmen. 

Right, and it's not like the staff doesn't know that. So if they're not playing younger guys, it's because in the staff's estimation they're not an improvement on the current guys yet.

Just now, lo country said:

I thought I read today that Frost said Hickman is one of our best perimeter blockers.......Why not use him more. If nothing else to help our sh!tty screens we continue to run....

I assume that's why he's on the depth chart now. Why it took so long to try that, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, and it's not like the staff doesn't know that. So if they're not playing younger guys, it's because in the staff's estimation they're not an improvement on the current guys yet.

I assume that's why he's on the depth chart now. Why it took so long to try that, I don't know.

Guessing cause it took this "long" for him to be a factor

• Plus1 1

No, I don’t think we will. I have been asking myself this question for the last couple of games after each of Frost’s post-game pressers (where he’s visibly frustrated with culture issues) but there hasn’t been a big shake up regarding playing time in any position. I don’t think he’ll throw in a bunch of freshman for Wisconsin and Iowa, considering risk of injury. He’s thinking of the future. Maybe for the Maryland game?

9 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

At rb, did Thompkins sustain another injury or whats the story with him? Early in the season I recall Held stating in a presser that they were trying to get him ready to contribute later in the season. 

Yeah, I don't think it was another tear or anything but from what I heard he had a setback and won't play this year.

19 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

..do you think we start to see a large number of Freshman playing the rest of the season? I for one would welcome it. 

I'm with you in welcoming freshman starters these last games of the season.  They're likely a bit less steeped in the "culture" SF keeps referring to (and some of us have noticed), and they're also in a position to realize that they can't perform any worse than many of their older team mates (sad to say). 

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I'm with you in welcoming freshman starters these last games of the season.  They're likely a bit less steeped in the "culture" SF keeps referring to (and some of us have noticed), and they're also in a position to realize that they can't perform any worse than many of their older team mates (sad to say). 

Doubtful they'll be starting, just possibly seeing quality snaps.