ESPN: Is Nebraska football too far gone, even for Scott Frost?

GSG

Is Nebraska football too far gone, even for Scott Frost?

SCOTT FROST DROPS back at the 30-yard line in Memorial Stadium. It's hot outside -- late September hasn't surrendered yet to fall temperatures in Lincoln, Nebraska -- and though it's climbing into the 80s by 10 this morning, Frost has opted for a long-sleeved black T-shirt to go with his black gym shorts and backward red Nebraska hat. He steps back, whips to face the right sideline, then fires a bullet in the direction of a wide receiver. Dem Franchize Boyz blares from speakers -- Lean wit it, rock wit it -- and, oh right, this isn't 1997 at all.

Frost does this on Fridays, jumps into the fray of actual drills. Even from far away on the sideline, it's easy to catch that black shirt straining, easy to catch that Frost still lifts weights and does things like traverse the Grand Canyon to keep in playing shape. Which is why the Huskers' former quarterback and 44-year-old current head coach is able to tangle with freshman Myles Farmer on a kickoff, and sprint to the line of scrimmage to raise his right arm back like he's a defensive end refining his swim move, and charge at No. 99, pulling up just short of tackling him to the ground.

Frost is the redeemer come to rescue Nebraska from itself -- the (literal) prodigal son returning home; the wunderkind unleashing the prowess that turned his previous charges at Central Florida from winless to undefeated in two years' time. There's a perfect storm of gauzy nostalgia and modern-day hype, and Frost lives in its epicenter. That's why this 2019 season, with its blowout losses and alarming regression -- from the quarterback to the team's ability to even feign competitiveness with the Big Ten's best -- feels like something worse, more foreboding, than merely a lost year.

"I think he feels the weight of the thing," Osborne says.

• Plus1 3

image.thumb.png.d1027119842c86554fc0ef34dee2bad9.png

Front Page of ESPN.com. The article to me has been written before. I personally don't believe you can say if Frost can't do it no one can. It takes the right person and the right formula, which I believe Scott ultimately has but if it doesn't work are we just canceling the program? John Blake didn't work at OU so did they throw in the towel? Just terrible logic but that's what happens in the moment. Let's not give up on Scott, we could easily be (should be) 6-3 right now. The narrative would be totally different. 6-3 and still a long ways from where Scott wants to be would feel pretty good. Trust the process, oh and we are still relevant.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28021916/is-nebraska-football-too-far-gone-even-scott-frost

Story link

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

It will feel better if Frost can get it done. And he will get it done. It’s ordained that way, right? 

But it if he doesn’t win and win a lot and eventually moves on...someone else will coach the team and I’ll still be there watching and cheering.  It’s my team and I’m not going anywhere. Win or lose. 

• Plus1 8
4 minutes ago, I am I said:

But it if he doesn’t win and win a lot and eventually moves on...someone else will coach the team and I’ll still be there watching and cheering.  It’s my team and I’m not going anywhere. Win or lose. 

That's us, Husker fans, spoken well.

I also feel that being a loyal fan gives me the right to piss and moan about what I see occurring on the field (especially our home field these days;  home win streak long gone). 

Lord, help us through the night.

48 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

Front Page of ESPN.com. The article to me has been written before. I personally don't believe you can say if Frost can't do it no one can. It takes the right person and the right formula, which I believe Scott ultimately has but if it doesn't work are we just canceling the program? John Blake didn't work at OU so did they throw in the towel? Just terrible logic but that's what happens in the moment. Let's not give up on Scott, we could easily be (should be) 6-3 right now. The narrative would be totally different. 6-3 and still a long ways from where Scott wants to be would feel pretty good. Trust the process, oh and we are still relevant.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28021916/is-nebraska-football-too-far-gone-even-scott-frost

Story link

I followed that link and the closet with all my Husker gear caught fire.   Do not follow that link.  Unless you're an Iowa fan, then by all means go ahead.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

The whole thing was pretty gross, man

Was she somehow inaccurate when she quoted Jason Peter directly? 

Is the overall sentiment of the article not shared by most fans outside Nebraska and many inside?

The gross thing is implying that a graduate from another university was mischaracterizing our situation. Which is ironic considering how much time Nebraska writers in general pumped up the team, without much reason, in the off season.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

Is the overall sentiment of the article not shared by most fans outside Nebraska and many inside?

The gross thing is implying that a graduate from another university was mischaracterizing our situation. Which is ironic considering how much time Nebraska writers in general pumped up the team, without much reason, in the off season.

:lol:  I was just making a joke: gross, man. The writer's last name is Grossman. Get it?

The article isn't really anything we haven't heard a million times since HCSF was hired. 

• Plus1 5

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Agree. I think she nailed most of it. Truth hurts sometimes.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Your tits need calmed

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Sker4Ever said:

Story link

I think we are closer to 2-7 than we are 6-3. Illinois and Northwestern we were lucky to escape.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1