ESPN: Is Nebraska football too far gone, even for Scott Frost?

GSG

2 minutes ago, NUinID said:

It is an easy story to write when the team is 4-5.  A couple more stops or a couple more TD's and the record is 6-3 and the story isn't written.  

To be fair Illinois and NW could have been losses to be 2-7....at the end of the day I will take some sh*t seasons knowing that eventually none of these will matter besides some tough memories. We will be good again. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

To be fair Illinois and NW could have been losses to be 2-7....at the end of the day I will take some sh*t seasons knowing that eventually none of these will matter besides some tough memories. We will be good again. 

Not really the way I look at it.  Against Illinois and NW Nebraska made plays to win the game at the end.  Against Purdue and Indiana they didn't.  Indiana and Purdue made the plays to win the game.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Did you guys actually read the article?

It's well-written, well researched, fair and honest, and, yeah, having an outside journalist with a non-homer perspective spend a week in Lincoln and talking with Frost, his parents, his mentor, his staff, his former teammates and his current teammates is how you tell this story to the larger college football audience. It also weaves together specific info and perspective that is new to me as a lifelong fan, and I actually walked away from the article feeling better about the future of Nebraska football.

The headline might seem like ESPN clickbait: but it's essentially the question posed by our own Jason Peter. Sports journalists can either ignore Nebraska out of pity or irrelevance, or write articles like this. It's pretty much the opposite of fluff. 

Lol, did YOU even bother to read the whole thing? It’s nothing more than 15 random quotes and little stories around Scott frost that literally has nothing to do with the program and context of the past few years. Of course the author found a way to connect the LP storyline to Maurice Washington in referencing frost and Osborne.  Frankly, the story defines the term fluff piece as very little factual or hard data was mentioned, rather a click bait title out there was offered and then a weak linkage, at best, to the pressure and clock hanging over frosts head.

this article did nothing to move the needle nationally. I think any reasonable college football fan could recite that Scott frost is from here, played here and now is trying to restore a once proud program to its previous standards. Barely any mention if said standards are even realistic.

perhaps I’ve just read one too many stories about his parents and Nebraska lineage that I’ve reached a boiling point.  This changes nothing nationally writing this and covers literally nothing new.

fluff piece/clickbait 101

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lol, did YOU even bother to read the whole thing? It’s nothing more than 15 random quotes and little stories around Scott frost that literally has nothing to do with the program and context of the past few years. Of course the author found a way to connect the LP storyline to Maurice Washington in referencing frost and Osborne.  Frankly, the story defines the term fluff piece as very little factual or hard data was mentioned, rather a click bait title out there was offered and then a weak linkage, at best, to the pressure and clock hanging over frosts head.

this article did nothing to move the needle nationally. I think any reasonable college football fan could recite that Scott frost is from here, played here and now is trying to restore a once proud program to its previous standards. Barely any mention if said standards are even realistic.

perhaps I’ve just read one too many stories about his parents and Nebraska lineage that I’ve reached a boiling point.  This changes nothing nationally writing this and covers literally nothing new.

fluff piece/clickbait 101

Disagree. 

• Plus1 3

geez guys.............I never read the article,  didn't have too.........Is she out of line?  Hell no, we have been irrelevant since the buffs whipped our a$$ and we ended up in the Rose bowl(shouldn't have) for another a$$ whippin...We have been irrelevant for almost 20yrs(last conference championshipship was 1999, yes 1999).  Even though I didn't read the article, I know it was fair and justified critisim...Nobody that has lived through it can deny that.  I blame Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley, and Frost for the demise of NU football.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, April Wine said:

geez guys.............I never read the article,  didn't have too.........Is she out of line?  Hell no, we have been irrelevant since the buffs whipped our a$$ and we ended up in the Rose bowl(shouldn't have) for another a$$ whippin...We have been irrelevant for almost 20yrs(last conference championshipship was 1999, yes 1999).  Even though I didn't read the article, I know it was fair and justified critisim...Nobody that has lived through it can deny that.  I blame Solich, Callahan, Pelini, Riley, and Frost for the demise of NU football.

The problem is much fo the article didn't ACTUALLY focus on that whatsoever.  It was more of a homecoming/trip down memory lane for Frosty and a veryyyy loose connection to whether Nebraska can actually come back to the forefront of college football.  I don't think anyone here is arguing whether or not we're relevant still- I am more calling how fluffy that article was and literally could have been condensed from a 15 minute slog of a read down to 3 minutes, easily.

48 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Disagree. 

You don't think a little more current day context could have made this piece better?  No detailed jump into the botched solich situation, dumpster fire that was callahan, the close return under bo and then implosion and then the complete ineptitude of mike riley and eichorst?  These are all relevant story lines that actually speak to the decline of husker football and that the greater college football audience would like to read.  Too often we're labeled as the first school to boot a 9 win coach and that still sticks with us.  Speaking to that narrative and how it relates to the passionate fan base would have created a much more engaging story line instead of lazy references to 90s pop culture and influences of Scott Frost's upbringing.

Maybe better question, what did you find so enlightening in that piece?  While not horrible, I find it quite annoying that the one of the few opps we get on main stage espn is some article that has been spun 100 different times already

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You don't think a little more current day context could have made this piece better?  No detailed jump into the botched solich situation, dumpster fire that was callahan, the close return under bo and then implosion and then the complete ineptitude of mike riley and eichorst?  These are all relevant story lines that actually speak to the decline of husker football and that the greater college football audience would like to read.  Too often we're labeled as the first school to boot a 9 win coach and that still sticks with us.  Speaking to that narrative and how it relates to the passionate fan base would have created a much more engaging story line instead of lazy references to 90s pop culture and influences of Scott Frost's upbringing.

Maybe better question, what did you find so enlightening in that piece?  While not horrible, I find it quite annoying that the one of the few opps we get on main stage espn is some article that has been spun 100 different times already

This is the first I can remember on something like ESPN though - we're sick of hearing it from the local guys, but your average non-Nebraska fan on ESPN probably hasn't been beat over the head with it as much.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

This is the first I can remember on something like ESPN though - we're sick of hearing it from the local guys, but your average non-Nebraska fan on ESPN probably hasn't been beat over the head with it as much.

I'd agree with you in terms of a long form story such as this.  That being said, outside of the Frosty love the first year and a half, there have been quite a few stories and takes from respected college football members that basically say "that job (nebraska coach) isn't what it used to be" then go on to pick their reason why (proliferation of cable tv/games every weekend, scholly limits, etc.)

Even the local guys share some blame here- where's the analysis on the abysmal recruting cycles done by Mike Riley and co that were bloated with 4 star skill position players in which 90% of them didn't even make it to campus or are still on the team.  Where's the analysis in looking how this program neglected consistent recruiting on the O and D line which is critical to succeed in today's modern game of football and Big 10 as a whole?  This article had a chance to really dig deep on what truly led to this program going off the tracks, instead, its a bunch of stories from over the year that literally has nothing to do with the actual product on the field

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

It is an easy story to write when the team is 4-5.  A couple more stops or a couple more TD's and the record is 6-3 and the story isn't written.  

The story of Scott Frost's second year at Nebraska was going to be written regardless of the record. That you're dreaming of a 6-3 record that might have been tells a story itself.  

Do you remember the stories they were writing last year?  While Nebraska posted its worst start in 127 years of football, the national press took the angle that Frost had finally righted the ship, and the team that ended the season 4-2 with close losses to Ohio State and Iowa might be the most dangerous 4 - 8 team in America. 

Nebraska started 2019 as a great story in college football. Scott Frost had come home and was steering the program in the right direction, with his Sophomore QB already on the Heisman lists. If you read the articles and listen to the pundits, the majority are rooting for Nebraska's return to relevance because it's good for college football. Nebraska's just not holding up its end.

This reporter walked into the story with the record Nebraska gave her, and reported it accurately. If the Huskers had the 6-3 record you're now pining for, the story wouldn't be hugely different. If polled pre-season, a born and bred Husker fan would have told you that being 6-3 at this point in the schedule was more cause for concern than celebration. There are threads on HuskerBoard to prove this. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1