ESPN: Is Nebraska football too far gone, even for Scott Frost?

GSG

I don't have an issue with the article. It wasn't anything new to me, but probably is for some college football fans. The coaches might be able to spin it into a recruiting sell though. They are already selling recruits on a rebuild of a great program and now here's an article on the front page of ESPN on the same topic. Gives the coaches something to point to and say see that article? Want to help us make Nebraska what it was so the next one is about you? Let's go. It shows that Nebraska can still generate media attention even in a bad year and players probably like that.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You don't think a little more current day context could have made this piece better?  No detailed jump into the botched solich situation, dumpster fire that was callahan, the close return under bo and then implosion and then the complete ineptitude of mike riley and eichorst?  These are all relevant story lines that actually speak to the decline of husker football and that the greater college football audience would like to read.  Too often we're labeled as the first school to boot a 9 win coach and that still sticks with us.  Speaking to that narrative and how it relates to the passionate fan base would have created a much more engaging story line instead of lazy references to 90s pop culture and influences of Scott Frost's upbringing.

Maybe better question, what did you find so enlightening in that piece?  While not horrible, I find it quite annoying that the one of the few opps we get on main stage espn is some article that has been spun 100 different times already

You're asking for the definitive story on the decline of Husker football, reflecting your personal opinions and a level of detail only a local wonk could love.

ESPN preferred the human interest story of prodigal son Scott Frost's second year at the helm.  

They made the right call.

Not sure how you could read that article and think it doesn't address the long football history,  the passionate fan base and the relevant expectations on Coach Frost. 

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You're asking for the definitive story on the decline of Husker football, reflecting your personal opinions and a level of detail only a local wonk could love.

ESPN preferred the human interest story of prodigal son Scott Frost's second year at the helm.  

Not sure how you could read that article and think it doesn't address the long football history,  the passionate fan base and the relevant expectations on Coach Frost. 

Because it covers everything you mentioned, EXCEPT for the actual reason why this team has declined.  Whether its an article on Nebraska or one on say Florida State, I, for one, would prefer an article that actually shows research and journalism was done.  This girl could have literally parsed these quotes from a couple hours worth of google searches to write this.  

If you want to go human interest piece then clean up the title.  I went into it thinking it was going to be a neutral look at just how low this team, why its there, and how frosty is planning on turning it around. 

Instead, its a way too long article that literally alternates between the following

Frost 90s reference

Frost parents and upbringing

Frost connection with Osborne

Throw in player from 90s for a quote

Briefly mention how crappy this year has gone

Lets go back and throw a random photo of frosty;s parents mid article.

The end.... I guarantee you 75% of the non nebraska fans who opened this article didn't even get half way through before clicking on to something else

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The article is fine.  It just sucks that we have to read some version of this every few weeks. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The story of Scott Frost's second year at Nebraska was going to be written regardless of the record. That you're dreaming of a 6-3 record that might have been tells a story itself.  

Do you remember the stories they were writing last year?  While Nebraska posted its worst start in 127 years of football, the national press took the angle that Frost had finally righted the ship, and the team that ended the season 4-2 with close losses to Ohio State and Iowa might be the most dangerous 4 - 8 team in America. 

Nebraska started 2019 as a great story in college football. Scott Frost had come home and was steering the program in the right direction, with his Sophomore QB already on the Heisman lists. If you read the articles and listen to the pundits, the majority are rooting for Nebraska's return to relevance because it's good for college football. Nebraska's just not holding up its end.

This reporter walked into the story with the record Nebraska gave her, and reported it accurately. If the Huskers had the 6-3 record you're now pining for, the story wouldn't be hugely different. If polled pre-season, a born and bred Husker fan would have told you that being 6-3 at this point in the schedule was more cause for concern than celebration. There are threads on HuskerBoard to prove this. 

Not pining for the record. I disagree that an espn writer shows up during a bye week and writes that article if the sit 6-3 right now. 

I can truthfully say if they were 6-3 right now that would be about where I thought they would be.  I predicted 8-4 on the year.

We need to keep Frost as long as we can, the one exception being 2 more years without a bowl.  If we fail to make a bowl the next 2 years, i may even sign up for letting him go.  

I dont think this will happen, but if we indeed do see Frost leave after a failed attempt here....i invision he will do great wherever he ends up at.  And then we will all be talking about how we should have just kept him, while we wallow in another 4-8 season under our next coach.

In summary, regardless as to wether this takes 1 more year or 10 more years, i believe Frost is our best man.  I truly do.  This season is testing our faith in him.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

This season is testing our faith in him.

For a few maybe.

The bigger picture that gets revealed more as time goes on is where the program was.

Pelini had it in decent shape, though certainly not to the heights Frost wants it.....especially in terms of recruiting, strength & conditioning and walk ons.

Riley took the program down a couple of notches from where Pelini had it.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The story of Scott Frost's second year at Nebraska was going to be written regardless of the record. That you're dreaming of a 6-3 record that might have been tells a story itself.  

Do you remember the stories they were writing last year?  While Nebraska posted its worst start in 127 years of football, the national press took the angle that Frost had finally righted the ship, and the team that ended the season 4-2 with close losses to Ohio State and Iowa might be the most dangerous 4 - 8 team in America. 

Nebraska started 2019 as a great story in college football. Scott Frost had come home and was steering the program in the right direction, with his Sophomore QB already on the Heisman lists. If you read the articles and listen to the pundits, the majority are rooting for Nebraska's return to relevance because it's good for college football. Nebraska's just not holding up its end.

This reporter walked into the story with the record Nebraska gave her, and reported it accurately. If the Huskers had the 6-3 record you're now pining for, the story wouldn't be hugely different. If polled pre-season, a born and bred Husker fan would have told you that being 6-3 at this point in the schedule was more cause for concern than celebration. There are threads on HuskerBoard to prove this. 

Hit several nails on the head.. and that a lot of Husker fan seem to be dancing around and not addressing it head on.  That last paragraph sums up the article.  The article seems  controversial to many Husker fans because it's not a sugar job on SF and it is written by somebody "out there" and not here camping out on the Memorial Stadium steps. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I guarantee you 75% of the non nebraska fans who opened this article didn't even get half way through before clicking on to something else

But they would prefer an article that goes int MORE detail about those household names Steve Pedersen, Frank Solich, Shawn Eichorst, Bill Callahan, Mike Riley, Bo Pelini and Harvey Perleman? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, NUinID said:

Not pining for the record. I disagree that an espn writer shows up during a bye week and writes that article if the sit 6-3 right now. 

It looks like she was shadowing Frost the weekend of the Illinois game, when Nebraska was 3 - 1 and the big concern was that we didn't beat Illinois bad enough. 

Just start winning and all this catastrophe talk ends.

Really if you think about it, just win two wins of the final 3 and the narrative of the entire season changes. With 2 more wins you can writer how in the month of November Scott Frost turned the direction of the program and progress was made to get Nebraska into a bowl game. 

We go into a bowl game and win the bowl game and now you're looking at a 7 win season and all the momentum in the world going into the off-season. 

It's that simple, win two games and the entire narrative changes.

These are the darkest times folks, it only gets better from here. When exactly it gets better is going to remain to be seen, but Frost will get it better, but right now, we are in the darkest times.

• Plus1 2

To me there is just no depth or much factual research just like preseason when they were crowning us to win the division. espn as a majority is built for hot takes and click bait. I just see this whole peace as saying a lot to say nothing. 

one point that could’ve have been objective is recruiting but it was all to prove a preconceived point. 

“We're never probably going to be the No. 1 recruiting class in the country," Held says. The 2019 recruiting class was ranked No. 18; the 2020 class currently sits at No. 34.“

how about how many states the staff went into to get these players or the fact that it was our highest ranking class in years. Even this years class is full of quality just not quantity. 

I’m not surprised some are worked up but that emotional sensitivity is becoming of what’s been going on around here when things don’t go our way 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But they would prefer an article that goes int MORE detail about those household names Steve Pedersen, Frank Solich, Shawn Eichorst, Bill Callahan, Mike Riley, Bo Pelini and Harvey Perleman? 

I think a well crafted reference would be preferable. The angst hanging over this unexpected down season is not 2 years in the making, it’s the past 20. It’s the downward trend with some ups but way more downs that is driving the concern/worry.  

personally, I think the concern is overblown which is probably contributing to me thinking this is a suspect fluff piece

• Plus1 1