ESPN: Is Nebraska football too far gone, even for Scott Frost?

GSG

17 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Because it covers everything you mentioned, EXCEPT for the actual reason why this team has declined.  Whether its an article on Nebraska or one on say Florida State, I, for one, would prefer an article that actually shows research and journalism was done.  This girl could have literally parsed these quotes from a couple hours worth of google searches to write this.  

If you want to go human interest piece then clean up the title.  I went into it thinking it was going to be a neutral look at just how low this team, why its there, and how frosty is planning on turning it around. 

Instead, its a way too long article that literally alternates between the following

Frost 90s reference

Frost parents and upbringing

Frost connection with Osborne

Throw in player from 90s for a quote

Briefly mention how crappy this year has gone

Lets go back and throw a random photo of frosty;s parents mid article.

The end.... I guarantee you 75% of the non nebraska fans who opened this article didn't even get half way through before clicking on to something else

The type of article you're looking for is much more likely to be found on The Athletic versus ESPN as The Athletic has really done a fantastic job with their in depth pieces (Bruce Feldman's piece on Verduzco was awesome).  The type of article I think you're looking to read is going to take a solid 2-3 weeks worth of research to put together and frankly, Nebraska isn't relevant enough nationally to warrant that type of coverage from ESPN.  I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get the type of article you're looking for in the offseason from Mitch Sherman who is the Nebraska guy for The Athletic.  I thought the ESPN article was fair and was clearly written to appeal to a national audience that watched Nebraska get some preseason hype, stumble around and is probably wondering what the heck is going on in Lincoln.

3 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

The type of article you're looking for is much more likely to be found on The Athletic versus ESPN as The Athletic has really done a fantastic job with their in depth pieces (Bruce Feldman's piece on Verduzco was awesome).  The type of article I think you're looking to read is going to take a solid 2-3 weeks worth of research to put together and frankly, Nebraska isn't relevant enough nationally to warrant that type of coverage from ESPN.  I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get the type of article you're looking for in the offseason from Mitch Sherman who is the Nebraska guy for The Athletic.  I thought the ESPN article was fair and was clearly written to appeal to a national audience that watched Nebraska get some preseason hype, stumble around and is probably wondering what the heck is going on in Lincoln.

I mean you're 100% right.  I have the athletic and am a big fan of most of the content they put out.  I guess this is just a glaring example as to how ESPN has lost some of its magic.  You'd think outsourcing the article to someone who is knowledgable (like the Athletic does) would lead to a higher level of journalism as opposed to this high school newspaper level puff piece.  I guess it does an ok job of letting the nation know wtf is going on for a team that had top 10 preseason hype, but I think it could have accomplished the same thing at 40% of the word count

• Plus1 1