GSG's Vegetarian Recipes Extravaganza

GSG

So my fiancee has been vegetarian for about six weeks now, which means I've been part-time vegetarian for about six weeks now. I thought I would share some recipes that we have made and actually enjoyed. My first suggestion, even if you're not looking to go full vegetarian, would be to download the Mealime app. There is a free and paid version. Each week they add new recipes based on your meal preferences (omnivore, pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, etc). Pick some recipes and it automatically creates a grocery list for you which is extremely handy.

These are a few we've picked up off Pinterest and whatnot:

TUSCAN KALE POTATO BEAN SOUP

INGREDIENTS

1 medium yellow onion, small dice

1 carrot, small dice

2 celery ribs, small dice

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

1 ½ cups vegetable broth *(See notes for ratio)

3 ½ cup water (or broth)

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

4 sundried tomato halves, finely chopped *

1–3 teaspoons miso 

3 cups red potatoes, skins on, small dice

1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed

1 Tablespoon Vegan Parmesan Cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)

3 cups Tuscan kale, vein removed, strips-cut into thirds (or baby spinach)

Spice/Herb Ingredients:

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *

1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram

1/8 teaspoon ground rosemary

1/8 teaspoon cumin (optional)

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *

¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)

¼ teaspoon red pepper flake (+/-) 

Optional Toppings:

Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Chopped parsley

Red pepper flake

INSTRUCTIONS

Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the red pepper flake) in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.

In the large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot (or similarly large stockpot) add the diced onion, carrots, and celery, sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes (add a little splash of water or broth if sticking.)

Then add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add the vegetable broth, water, lemon juice, finely chopped sundried tomatoes, Spice/Herb Mix, and Vegan Parmesan Cheese (or nutritional yeast), then increase the heat to a boil, stir well, then immediately lower to a low simmering boil. Then add the diced red potatoes. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender (approx. 15 to 20 minutes). Then add the miso and cannelloni beans, stir to incorporate, simmer for 5 minutes.

Taste test for flavor, and add additional seasoning to achieve the desired flavor. Add the dried red pepper flakes and chopped Tuscan kale. Simmer until the potatoes and kale reaches the desired tenderness. Discard the bay leaf.

Ladle soup into a bowl and top Vegan Parmesan Cheese, fresh chopped parsley, and red pepper flakes.

VEGGIE LOADED LENTIL SOUP

Ingredients

2 tbsp. olive oil

2 c. julienned carrots (about 1½ inches long)

1 c. diced celery

¾ c. diced onion

8 cloves minced garlic

10 c. low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable stock

1 tbsp. herbs de provence

1½ tsp. kosher sea salt

¼ tsp. ground black pepper

¼ tsp. paprika

1 sprig rosemary

2 tsp. white vinegar or red wine vinegar

½ c. yellow split peas

½ c. green split peas

1 c. green lentils

2 c. cubed butternut squash

1 c. cubed potatoes

1 c. cubed celery root

¼ c. olive oil

2 c. chopped kale

¼ c. chopped fresh parsley

¼ c. parmesan cheese, grated or shaved (optional)

Directions

In a large stock pot or Dutch-oven set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the celery, onion and carrots, saute until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Pour in the chicken broth, turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Add the herbs, salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary, vinegar, split peas, and lentils. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Add the butternut squash, potatoes and celery root, simmer for an additional 30 minutes or until the veggies and the peas/lentils are tender.

Place 4 cups of soup in a blender with ¼ cup of olive oil. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Pour back into the pot and stir to combine. Add chopped kale, parsley and parmesan, simmer for an additional 5-8 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Notes

-Cheese is totally optional but delicious!

LEMONY ORZO CHICKPEA SOUP

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small white onion, peeled and diced
3 medium carrots, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
10 cups vegetable stock
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup orzo*
4 eggs
1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice, plus extra lemon slices for serving
2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach
1–3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill*
sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.  Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add carrots and garlic and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add stock and chickpeas, and stir to combine.  Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.  Then reduce heat to medium (or medium-low), whatever works to maintain a steady low simmer.
Add orzo and stir to combine.  Continue cooking until the orzo is al dente, stirring occasionally so that the orzo doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Meanwhile, as the orzo is cooking, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice in a separate mixing bowl or measuring cup until combined.  Ladle out 1 cup of the hot soup broth, and while whisking the egg mixture with one hand continuously, very very slowly drizzle the broth into the eggs until combined.  Repeat with 1 more cup of hot broth.
Once the orzo is ready to go, remove the stockpot from the heat.  Then while stirring the entire soup with one hand continuously, very very slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the soup until combined.  The egg mixture should make the soup nice and creamy.  (But if the eggs look like they are scrambling when you add them in — kind of like in egg drop soup — stop and let the soup cool down for a few minutes before adding the rest of the eggs.)
Return the soup to low heat.  Stir in the spinach and dill and stir for 1-2 minutes until the spinach has wilted.  Then taste and season the soup with a few pinches of salt and black pepper, as needed.
Serve warm, garnished with extra dill and lemon wedges.

NOTES
*Or you’re welcome to sub in 3/4 cup rice in place of orzo.

*Just add however much dill you would like, to taste.  Or if you’re not a big fan of dill, feel free to add in some fresh (or dried) oregano instead, to taste.  Or fresh basil!

• Plus1 3

I'll try to add some more tomorrow. I'm not sure I can actually post the Mealime recipes since some of them are part of the paid version of the app. 

Some other tidbits: Morningstar veggie burger products are pretty decent. The crumbles were a nice addition to a vegetarian chili we made a couple weeks ago:

kicproductimage-120658_grillers_crumbles

• Plus1 1

This is one of the free recipes from Mealime that we liked. Although we decided it would be easier to just use your own favorite buffalo sauce rather than make the sauce in the recipe (step 4). You can also use your own ranch/bleu cheese instead of making the ranch (step 5):

Buffalo Cauliflower & Chickpea Pita Pockets with Ranch Sauce (4 servings)

presentation_ebfc9f91-ed6f-4350-9637-7d8

Ingredients

1 (5 oz) pkg baby spinach
2 medium carrots
1 medium head cauliflower
2 sticks celery
2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 whole grain pitas
1 medium yellow onion
 black pepper
 chili-garlic sauce
 Dijon mustard
 dill
 extra virgin olive oil
 garlic powder
 mayonnaise
 onion powder
 parsley flakes
 salt
 white wine vinegar

Directions

1 Wash and dry the fresh produce. (Skip the spinach if it came pre-washed.)

• 1 medium head cauliflower
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 2 sticks celery
  • 1 (5 oz) pkg baby spinach

2 Reserve ½ cup of the chickpea liquid and place in a medium bowl, then drain and rinse the chickpeas.

• 2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)

3 Add half the chickpeas to the bowl with the bean liquid and mash well; stir in remaining chickpeas, leaving them whole.

4 Add vinegar, Dijon, chili-garlic sauce, and tomato paste to the chickpea mixture; stir to combine. Set aside.

• 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 4 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp chili-garlic sauce
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste

5 To make the ranch dressing, combine mayonnaise and spices in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Add additional water (1 tsp at a time) as needed to reach a drizzling consistency.

• ⅓ cup mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp dill
  • ¼ tsp parsley flakes
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • ⅛ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp black pepper

6 Remove leaves and thick stems from cauliflower; cut into bite-sized florets. Transfer to a medium bowl.

7 Peel and small dice onion and carrots; add to the bowl with the cauliflower.

• 1 medium yellow onion

8 Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.

9 Peel and mince garlic.

• 2 cloves garlic

10 Once the skillet is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.

• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

11 Add cauliflower, onion, carrot, and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes.

12 Add chickpea mixture, salt, and pepper to the skillet and continue to cook until cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes. Taste the chickpea mixture and add more garlic-chili sauce (½ tsp at a time) to reach desired spiciness.

• 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp chili-garlic sauce

13 Small dice celery.

14 Cut pita in half and carefully open the pita pockets.

• 4 whole grain pitas

15 To serve, divide spinach, bean-cauliflower mixture, and celery between pita pockets. Top with ranch dressing and enjoy!

• Plus1 1

Another free one that we made last night:

Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burrito (4 servings)

presentation_5982a55c-7dd5-4e2a-b9bd-6f1

Ingredients

1 (15 oz) can black beans

½ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese

32 fl oz chicken or vegetable broth

1 small bunch cilantro

4 large flour tortillas

½ cup plain Greek yogurt

2 red bell peppers

1 lb sweet potato

1 medium yellow onion

cayenne pepper

chili powder

cumin

extra virgin olive oil

garlic powder

onion powder

salt

Directions

1 Wash and dry the fresh produce.

• 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 lb sweet potato
  • 1 small bunch cilantro

2 Peel and small dice the onion. Small dice the bell peppers.

• 1 medium yellow onion

3 Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.

4 Add the onion, bell peppers, and spices to the pot; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3-4 minutes.

• 1 tbsp chili powder
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp salt

5 Peel and small dice the sweet potatoes.

6 Add the sweet potatoes and broth to the pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, 10-12 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender.

• 32 fl oz (4 cups) chicken or vegetable broth

7 Drain and rinse the black beans in a colander; set aside to drain further.

• 1 (15 oz) can black beans

8 Grate the cheddar. Shave the cilantro leaves off the stems; discard the stems and mince the leaves.

• ½ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese

9 Once the potatoes are tender, drain the vegetables; return them to the pot and place on low heat.

10 Add the black beans, cheddar, cilantro, and yogurt to the pot. Stir to combine and remove from the heat.

• ½ cup plain Greek yogurt

11 Lay the tortillas on a flat surface. Divide the vegetable mixture evenly and place in the middle of each tortilla. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll tightly.

• 4 large flour tortillas

12 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.

• 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil

13 Lay the burritos seam side down and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.

14 Remove burritos from heat, cut in half, and enjoy!

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

just curious...why did she decide this?

Image result for pulp fiction vegetarian

She wasn't eating a lot of meat anyway, only chicken, turkey, and seafood. She hasn't had beef or pork for years because she just didn't like it. I think the biggest reason was just a "healthier" option. It wasn't an animal rights thing. If it helps the environment that's cool too. I know she misses the seafood the most. I think she misses chicken wings though, so I might tempt her this weekend :devil

We've made this one a lot:

Eggplant Shakshuka (North African-Style Egg Dish) with Feta

presentation_d74e7a4c-a153-4ff6-8662-833

Ingredients 

1 small bunch cilantro
1 (4 oz) pkg crumbled feta cheese
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
8 eggs
2 eggplants
4 cloves garlic
1 medium yellow onion
 black pepper
 cayenne pepper
 cumin
 extra virgin olive oil
 paprika
 salt

Directions

1 Wash and dry the fresh produce.

• 2 eggplants
  • 1 small bunch cilantro

2 Trim off and discard the ends of the eggplants; large dice the eggplants into ¾-inch cubes. Transfer to a bowl.

3 Preheat a sauté pan over medium heat.

4 While the pan heats up, trim off and discard the ends of the onion and remove the outer layer; small dice the onion into ¼-inch pieces.

• 1 medium yellow onion

5 Once the pan is hot, add olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom.

6 Add the onion to the pan; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes.

7 While the onion cooks, trim off and discard the root ends of the garlic; peel and mince or press the garlic.

• 2 cloves garlic

8 Add the minced garlic, paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper to the pan; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 15 to 30 seconds.

• 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper

9 Add the eggplant to the pan and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.

• 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper

10 Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir to combine; simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.

• 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes

11 While the tomatoes simmer, using a knife, shave the cilantro leaves off the stems at a downward angle, working away from your body; discard the stems and finely chop the leaves.

12 Stir about ¾ of the cilantro into the tomato mixture (save the rest for garnishing); stir to combine.

13 Break the eggs into the saucepan.

• 8 eggs

14 Season the eggs with salt and pepper.

• ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp black pepper

15 Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan; cook until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny, 5 to 7 minutes.

16 Place the feta in a small bowl.

• 1 (4 oz) pkg crumbled feta cheese

17 Uncover the pan and garnish the shakshuka with feta and the remaining cilantro.

18 To serve, divide the shakshuka between plates. Enjoy!

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

@GSG if you ever make it over to Greality, Luna's Tacos & Tequila downtown has a few vegetarian options that are very good. I really like their Mushroom taco and the Brussel Sprout taco. The mushroom has sunflower seeds, avocado and an adobo cashew crema. They're amazing....if you like shrooms.

I'll have to check that out! We've been meaning to get over to Luna's anyway since we got another passport from The Passport Program: https://www.thepassportprogram.com/fort-collins  

I get a lot of questions from people at work about what we eat and I eat anything (including shrooms and brussel sprouts!) so it's been easy for me. My fiancee doesn't like mushrooms but that's one of the few veggies she doesn't like. 

35 minutes ago, GSG said:

I'll have to check that out! We've been meaning to get over to Luna's anyway since we got another passport from The Passport Program: https://www.thepassportprogram.com/fort-collins  

I get a lot of questions from people at work about what we eat and I eat anything (including shrooms and brussel sprouts!) so it's been easy for me. My fiancee doesn't like mushrooms but that's one of the few veggies she doesn't like. 

Yeah, I love mushrooms and Brussel sprouts. In fact mushrooms might be the absolute one thing I wouldn’t ever want to give up. But some people no like. Luna’s also has a roasted beet taco. I can’t stand beets so I haven’t tried.

The Bent Fork restaurant at Centerra has an incredible mushroom cream soup FYI.

source.gif

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I love mushrooms and Brussel sprouts. In fact mushrooms might be the absolute one thing I wouldn’t ever want to give up. But some people no like. Luna’s also has a roasted beet taco. I can’t stand beets so I haven’t tried.

The Bent Fork restaurant at Centerra has an incredible mushroom cream soup FYI.

source.gif

We had our office Christmas party at Bentfork one year! They have some bomb a$$ lobster mac and cheese! That's also where we found the recipe for Alpine Mules: 

Vodka

Alpine liquer

Ginger beer

Lime 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I had never had Shakshuka, but I like a lot of Kenji's recipes, so I tried his. It's excellent, and I believe also vegetarian.

Shakshuka

We haven't made it in a while because we like our eggs differently. I like mine at least a little runny and she likes her's cooked all the way