***Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread***

knapplc

About three weeks ago, I said that I wished we can get Wisconsin’s recipe and of course I was attacked stating that Wisconsin has not accomplished anything. Well I would say it again, if we get to a point where we can play like Wisconsin, I will be happy. They have been successful by following our recipe from the 90s. I don’t know why we can’t get back to that? One reason is that we do not have the right guy coaching our defense, Chin will never get better...he is who he is and the sooner Frost realizes that, the faster we get back to winning some games.

• Plus1 1

No moral victories from me.  I don't care if we had 500 yards of offense, its smoke and mirrors offense.  When we ran Mills, we controlled the game.............WTF.

Thats my biggest take from this game.  Don't have to pass the ball 30 times a game to win football.  Pass the ball 15-20 times and use play action.  Simple football.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Nebhawk said:

No moral victories from me.  I don't care if we had 500 yards of offense, its smoke and mirrors offense.  When we ran Mills, we controlled the game.............WTF.

Thats my biggest take from this game.  Don't have to pass the ball 30 times a game to win football.  Pass the ball 15-20 times and use play action.  Simple football.

Nebraska only passed it 23 times, and many of those were in the 4th quarter and in desperation mode. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, The Dude said:

Just based on the eyeball test we have every bit as much talent as Wisconsin, on paper we have more.

Somehow we lost to Colorado/Indiana/Purdue/Minnesota due to a lack of talent though.

Too many excuses are made for lack of talent.  Perhaps we don't have the right talent to run what the staff wants, but we have more than enough talent to be better than 4-6 right now.  

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

About three weeks ago, I said that I wished we can get Wisconsin’s recipe and of course I was attacked stating that Wisconsin has not accomplished anything. Well I would say it again, if we get to a point where we can play like Wisconsin, I will be happy. They have been successful by following our recipe from the 90s. I don’t know why we can’t get back to that? One reason is that we do not have the right guy coaching our defense, Chin will never get better...he is who he is and the sooner Frost realizes that, the faster we get back to winning some games.

I'll add they are physical at the point of attack.  They are fundamentally sound in all phases of the game.  An identifiable identity on O and D.  They are not a swiss army knife team.  You know who and what they are.  They dare you to stop them on either side....

When Martinez has anything more than 3 seconds to think he makes a mistake. The play he got sacked for 20 yards he had Spielman wide open, but for some reason he didn't throw it. 

Martinez just needs to run and eventually throw a wide open pass. When Robinson is healthy have a three headed monster in the backfield with Martinez, Mills, Robinson. Triple Option spread out of it, all three capable and threats to run. Once the defense loads the box with 11 guys then you trust Martinez to throw to a wide open Spielman, Noa or Stoll and hold your breath he gets it there.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Just based on the eyeball test we have every bit as much talent as Wisconsin, on paper we have more.

Somehow we lost to Colorado/Indiana/Purdue/Minnesota due to a lack of talent though.

I'll blame parts of those losses on coaching decisions.  I can't specifics, but if I looked back I could find my reasons in those game threads....