***Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread***

knapplc

Recruited talent is one thing, developing that talent into actual football players is another.  We haven't seen any players develop for about 5 years now.  Starting to see some of our players look the part, but I think we wasted alot of talent in the last 4 plus seasons that wasn't used or developed.  It still is a talent issue, but that talent is on the roster, just not getting the job done yet.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

On the offense side yes.  ST and def are still a complete joke 

I thought the O line looked better,  and overall the offense was much better.

(still no Ramir when we are as thin as we are we are at RB)??

Martinez mostly good but inexplicable brain locks that just always seem to happen at crucial times.

Penalties better too.

Generally today was a positive step but just too thin to make crucial mistakes against a good team but, on balance, without three starters, today was semi-encouraging...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Comish said:

I thought the O line looked better,  and overall the offense was much better.

(still no Ramir when we are as thin as we are we are at RB)??

Martinez mostly good but inexplicable brain locks that just always seem to happen at crucial times.

Penalties better too.

Generally today was a positive step but just too thin to make crucial mistakes against a good team but, on balance, without three starters, today was semi-encouraging...

Trying to save Rahmir’s redshirt. If he plays today, he is done for the season. 

7 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Were we better today than the Illinois game even with a L?

Today this team showed that it can respond to Frost.  It showed signs that they hadn't totally given up.  Plus, it showed that there are players on this team who gotten better, and who will be around next season.  I realize this game was a giant S**t Sandwich but there are positives that need to be noted.  

• Thanks 1

Defense is only one part of this.  Qb throwing interceptions is another issue.  Seems like to me that as soon as our QB threw that interception, our defense had a huge letdown.  

If we ran the ball a little bit more, and left our defense on the sidelines more, it would help.  Ball control..........Our great teams did that.  With offenses being way ahead of defenses in most leagues, leave the other teams offense on the sidelines more!

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Trying to save Rahmir’s redshirt. If he plays today, he is done for the season. 

I didn’t get to watch much today, but from reading this thread it sounds like we could have used him today. Seems that if Wandale will be back next week, this might have been a good week for his last game. What are we saving him for, to not play the last two?

4 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Totally.  It's not even close.

I agree with you and @ColoradoHusk but I'll qualify that with - they have WAY more upperclassmen talent than we do.

I think today showed our younger guys have talent, and when they've been here four years they'll be as good as Wisconsin.

It's a depth issue. And it's made worse by that giant black hole of a 2017 class.

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

They did run it more than they passed.

But we had chances to keep pounding the rock and chose to run some pass plays.  We were gashing them the whole game, could have controlled it completely.  That interception changed the game in seconds, completely took the wind out of our sails.

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Defense is only one part of this.  Qb throwing interceptions is another issue.  Seems like to me that as soon as our QB threw that interception, our defense had a huge letdown.  

If we ran the ball a little bit more, and left our defense on the sidelines more, it would help.  Ball control..........Our great teams did that.  With offenses being way ahead of defenses in most leagues, leave the other teams offense on the sidelines more!

Time of possession is an overrated stat in that it doesn’t always lead to wins. I haven’t seen the TOP for today, but NU did control the ball in the first half. That was skewed a bit due to the kickoff return for a TD.