***Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread***

knapplc

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I will correct that statement.  Its our timing of the pass that  gets me going more than run vs pass.  Most of our games this season we have passed it more than run it.  Right before AMart and his interception, Mills ran for a good chunk play.  Didn't have to pass the ball right then.  Just didn't have to do so.  Its ok if we have a rusher gain 200 yards as well.  It seems like we won't or can't have someone on offense outshine Amart.  That my take on this team, this season.  

Martinez’s INT was on the first play of the drive after a kickoff. It was a relatively short pass and the LB made a great play to tip the pass. If you are going to complain about play calls, get jury facts straight when you do it. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

But we had chances to keep pounding the rock and chose to run some pass plays.  We were gashing them the whole game, could have controlled it completely.  That interception changed the game in seconds, completely took the wind out of our sails.

Martinez is still learning. He was thrown out there as a rookie and is still learning how to recognize a busted play, throw it away, and live to play another play. He's clearly our best QB, but he was fooled by the Wisconsin coach dropping 8 into coverage and Frost didn't give him an outlet to throw to for 5 yards...the traditional blocking back who steps out for the pass as a last resort. Our receivers kinda suck too....they don't come back and give him a target. Also seemed like they were spying Martinez in case he ran....did Frost send a blocker on that SOB? I don't think so.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Martinez is still learning. He was thrown out there as a rookie and is still learning how to recognize a busted play, throw it away, and live to play another play. He's clearly our best QB, but he was fooled by the Wisconsin coach dropping 8 into coverage and Frost didn't give him an outlet to throw to for 5 yards...the traditional blocking back who steps out for the pass as a last resort. Our receivers kinda suck too....they don't come back and give him a target. Also seemed like they were spying Martinez in case he ran....did Frost send a blocker on that SOB? I don't think so.

On Martinez’s interception the spy LB stayed at the LOS and tipped the ball. I was so mad because there was a NU lineman right in front of the LB and he didn’t even attempt to block him. If the LB is blocked, he probably doesn’t get his hands up to tip the ball. 

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Yep. He's just a sophomore. Hasn't even played in 20 games in his college career. Lots of learning to do, lots of room to grow.

27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

On Martinez’s interception the spy LB stayed at the LOS and tipped the ball. I was so mad because there was a NU lineman right in front of the LB and he didn’t even attempt to block him. If the LB is blocked, he probably doesn’t get his hands up to tip the ball. 

I just caught a quick glimpse of that particular play. It looked to me like the LB was a couple yards deep of the LOS, and about a half step in trail of the the way the play was flowing. Pretty ideal spy position I thought. I don’t think the OL could have gone out and blocked him without possible being illegally downfield. I just don’t think AM saw him at all. 

And i could be completely wrong since it was just a quick glimpse. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

I just caught a quick glimpse of that particular play. It looked to me like the LB was a couple yards deep of the LOS, and about a half step in trail of the the way the play was flowing. Pretty ideal spy position I thought. I don’t think the OL could have gone out and blocked him without possible being illegally downfield. I just don’t think AM saw him at all. 

And i could be completely wrong since it was just a quick glimpse. 

Martinez saw the spy at first because he held onto the ball when Noa appeared open early in the play. It could have been close to illegal downfield, but the LB approached the LOS and could have been blocked by the lineman, who proceeded to do nothing. 

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Ok. You said the team passes more than it runs the ball and that isn't true.

The sacks and QB scrambles are actually pass plays that become runs and likely also somewhat skew the run/pass ratio numbers some.

I do think the run vs pass ratios are much better when it is closer to 2 to 1 runs over passes.   The key though is that you have to run the ball frequently and with great determination in order to keep the defense playing you honestly and this will enable the pass game to be even more effective.

You need both but you also should run and run and run and keep on doing it unless and until they stop it.   Wisconsin didn't really did not stop it.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

But we had chances to keep pounding the rock and chose to run some pass plays.  We were gashing them the whole game, could have controlled it completely.  That interception changed the game in seconds, completely took the wind out of our sails.

We fumbled the ball running, and were lucky to recover. That doesn't mean you stop running the ball.

Wisconsin had Taylor in full beast mode and continued to throw the ball as the play mix required. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

He is absolutely Not Clearly our best QB.  It’s possible he might be our best but I would have no problem replacing him with a health Vedral and prob win as many or more games.  If AMart Doesn’t get better in a hurry, then it better be a serious QB competition next year.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We fumbled the ball running, and were lucky to recover. That doesn't mean you stop running the ball.

Wisconsin had Taylor in full beast mode and continued to throw the ball as the play mix required. 

That’s what I don’t understand about Frosts’ playcalling. He throws the baby out with the bath water with one bad result. 

6 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Amart looked great in the first quarter, but as the game went along, looked lesser and lesser.  I don't know if its play calling or just lack of execution by all on offense.  Amart is learning, but other QB's in the nation are progressing and doing things better with similar experience.  Our system isn't more complicated than others.  Man, when he runs the option, it looks like its natural.  We need to use that more often and use it more than silly screen passes.

11 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Amart looked great in the first quarter, but as the game went along, looked lesser and lesser.  I don't know if its play calling or just lack of execution by all on offense.  Amart is learning, but other QB's in the nation are progressing and doing things better with similar experience.  Our system isn't more complicated than others.  Man, when he runs the option, it looks like its natural.  We need to use that more often and use it more than silly screen passes.

The defenses attack our screen and swing passes so quickly I keep waiting for us to pump fake that short throw and instead go deep to someone who setup to block and instead heads downfield as a receiver. But I’m still waiting.