Close games

I see that you're hung up on the take points line. Please understand the point --- winning programs are willing to get points however they might come whether three or six. Getting three points is not the end of the world. 

I misspoke on the Indiana part, I thought Vedral's fumble was on a fourth down play. 

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The 3rd fourth down was not successful, but that would have been a 47 yard FG attempt. Given Pickering’s injury, that’s far from sure points.

This is the exact point. Assuming failure of kicking and therefore don't even try it. 

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It really seems that you don’t have an understanding of statistics and how going for it on more 4th downs leads to more points than settling for long field goals.  

I don't think you understand that the statistics on fourth down haven't been in our favor this season either. 

6 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I see that you're hung up on the take points line. Please understand the point --- winning programs are willing to get points however they might come whether three or six. Getting three points is not the end of the world. 

I misspoke on the Indiana part, I thought Vedral's fumble was on a fourth down play. 

This is the exact point. Assuming failure of kicking and therefore don't even try it. 

I don't think you understand that the statistics on fourth down haven't been in our favor this season either. 

Yes, going for it on 4th down is a “risk” but it’s usually the right call when the ball is between the 30 and 40 yard line. NU created 10 points by going for it against Purdue. If NU kicks it every time and makes it every FG, the most they score is 9 points. Given NU’s kicking performance this year, I think making 2 of 3 is probably the best they would have done, giving NU 6 points, which is fewer points than they actually scored in those situations.  NU created more points by going for those 4th downs, than they would have achieved by making every single field goal. 

It’s obvious you don’t realize when it’s the appropriate times to go for 4th down conversions. It’s simple analytics which smart teams use to determine when it’s time to go for it on 4th down.  I would be in favor of going for every 4th down between the 30 and 40 yard line, but that also depends on the opposing offense I am facing. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, going for it on 4th down is a “risk” but it’s usually the right call when the ball is between the 30 and 40 yard line.

I disagree as the generally accepted standard of a D-1 level kicker is the ability to hit from the 35 yard line (52 yard FG). 

I realize that you like to justify the risk taking but as I've said from the beginning... winning programs are willing to get points however they might come. Since you haven't understood that from my first point, I will no longer be carrying on this topic as you don't seem to understand but instead are focused on having the ends justify the means. 

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I disagree as the generally accepted standard of a D-1 level kicker is the ability to hit from the 35 yard line (52 yard FG). 

I realize that you like to justify the risk taking but as I've said from the beginning... winning programs are willing to get points however they might come. Since you haven't understood that from my first point, I will no longer be carrying on this topic as you don't seem to understand but instead are focused on having the ends justify the means. 

College FG kickers aren’t as good as you make them out to be. According to last year’s stats, the expected value of a FG attempt was over 2 points for FG’s at 37 yards and under. Given NU’s kicking situation this year, I think the expected value of NU kicking a FG would be even worse. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/watchstadium.com/news/collegekickers-when-they-make-miss-field-goals-by-distance-situation-and-more-06-11-2019/amp/

I disagree with your opinion that winning programs settle for FG’s more often than going for it, especially given the field position for the situation. You probably think Wisconsin is a winning program, yet they went for a 4th down in the 2nd quarter when they had a 42 yard FG attempt.  The FG attempts which they did attempt made complete sense in those situations. They were all relatively short FG attempts and they all gave Wisconsin the lead or extended the lead.  I don’t even get what argument you are trying to make anymore. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

Thought I was done but I couldn't ignore the notification. I understand the propensity to distrust kickers. I guess I'm just more optimistic about Pickering.

Yes, as would most of America... and statisticians.

Pickering has not been trust worthy this season, and showed it again today. He has also probably  told Frost what his range is, and I don’t think it’s 50+. 

Wisconsin is a winning program, but they went for it on 4th and 6 from NU’s 26 yard line. That is going against your argument. Which one is it? Are they a smart and winning program because they were successful on that 4th down attempt? 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Pickering has not been trust worthy this season, and showed it again today. He has also probably  told Frost what his range is, and I don’t think it’s 50+. 

I'm not going to assume what their private conversations are and I would recommend none of us do that.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wisconsin is a winning program, but they went for it on 4th and 6 from NU’s 26 yard line. That is going against your argument. Which one is it? Are they a smart and winning program because they were successful on that 4th down attempt? 

Valid point. Statistics would indicate that it was not a wise idea to go for it at that range. But as you justified with Nebraska going towards the South endzone... they were going into the wind. 

Maybe I should simplify the point... winning programs need to trust their kicking game. 

6 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I'm not going to assume what their private conversations are and I would recommend none of us do that.

Valid point. Statistics would indicate that it was not a wise idea to go for it at that range. But as you justified with Nebraska going towards the South endzone... they were going into the wind. 

Maybe I should simplify the point... winning programs need to trust their kicking game. 

It's easier to do that when the kickers reward that trust.  It's easy to trust the kicker when he is Kris Brown, Josh Brown, Alex Henery, etc.  That kicker isn't on the roster right now.  Pickering finished the season well last year, but his injury has impacted his kicking this year.  Frost has entrusted Pickering against Indiana and Wisconsin the past 3 games and he missed very make-able FG's.  Frost has also done the smart thing by going for 4th downs when the other option is very long FG's.  Those 4th downs aren't always going to be successful, but going for it on 4th down generally creates more points than attempting long FG's or punting.

15 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

When we have a trustworthy kicking game, we'll likely be a winning program.

We aren't losing because we don't trust our kickers. We don't trust our kickers because they're either not very good, injured, or guys recruited from the soccer team.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
Just now, knapplc said:

We aren't losing because we don't trust our kickers. We don't trust our kickers because they're either not very good, injured, or guys recruited from the soccer team.

And that's a club soccer team, it's not even a men's varsity sport at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

Personally, the way our kicking game has been this year, I would have no qualms if we never attempted kicking another FG or PAT for the remainder of the season. Bluntly, our kickers suck. Our kickoffs average 15 to 20 yards shy of all teams we’ve played and our PAT’s are an adventure that is anything but automatic. Pickering may be the best we have but that sure doesn’t make him good enough to rely on for anything.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Bingo! I agree with both points. Kicking isn't costing us games (except Colorado) but it is a sign of a good, winning program for both college and the NFL.