Close games

13 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Bingo! I agree with both points. Kicking isn't costing us games (except Colorado) but it is a sign of a good, winning program for both college and the NFL.

Nobody was saying the kicking game and having good kickers weren’t important. You just seemed so bent on making comments that good teams don’t go for 4th downs and prefer taking the 3 points. That’s where I disagree with you. 

• Plus1 1

If the point is that winning programs should have a kicker they can rely on and should take 3 points when it makes sense, I’m in agreement. But the problem here is obviously we don’t have that kicker and it is unlikely to change this season, so it doesn’t make much sense to complain when Frost chooses to forego a FG attempt that most capable teams could make. We just aren’t proficient in that area. I would hope Frost makes remedying this a priority, along with all aspects of special teams.

• Plus1 2

We need a better defensive coordinator. One who preferably does not look lost in every game and who can put together a four quarter plan. Hoping that a Hyundai Accent will suddenly turn into a Cadillac is hopeless. With the same token, Chin will not magically turn into a juggernaut defensive coordinator no matter how much time he is given.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nobody was saying the kicking game and having good kickers weren’t important. You just seemed so bent on making comments that good teams don’t go for 4th downs and prefer taking the 3 points. That’s where I disagree with you. 

You're making too many assumptions.

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

If the point is that winning programs should have a kicker they can rely on and should take 3 points when it makes sense, I’m in agreement. But the problem here is obviously we don’t have that kicker and it is unlikely to change this season, so it doesn’t make much sense to complain when Frost chooses to forego a FG attempt that most capable teams could make. We just aren’t proficient in that area. I would hope Frost makes remedying this a priority, along with all aspects of special teams.

Thank you for stating this in a different way, exactly my point. My hope is that Frost will be able to kick when it makes sense in the future and not fall too in love with his own play calling. 

44 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Bingo! I agree with both points. Kicking isn't costing us games (except Colorado) but it is a sign of a good, winning program for both college and the NFL.

Well...I agree with others in this discussion. Just want to pint one thing out. 

Missed field goal -  3 points.

Not getting touchback thus giving up a return TD  -  7 points

Giving the ball up on downs while in normal field goal range twice. -  6 points. 

Thats 16 points. 

We lost by 16 points. 

Not having a reliable kicker was a major part of losing this game. But, we don’t have that, so I’m fine with Frost’s decisions. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

This wasn't a close game and we wouldn't have won it with Adam Vinatieri as our kicker. 

It was nice to see a little fourth quarter fight from the offense, but once you add up all the coulda's and shoulda's that might have gotten Nebraska a fourth quarter lead, you have to ask yourself if the defense could have stopped Wisconsin with the game on the line, and the answer is no. 

It didn't come down to that because the game really wasn't that close. 

• Plus1 1

On 11/16/2019 at 6:17 PM, huskerfan74 said:

We need a better defensive coordinator. One who preferably does not look lost in every game and who can put together a four quarter plan. Hoping that a Hyundai Accent will suddenly turn into a Cadillac is hopeless. With the same token, Chin will not magically turn into a juggernaut defensive coordinator no matter how much time he is given.

You ever hear of a guy named Charlie McBride?

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can play "had a couple plays gone a different way" with every game, but at the end of the day Wisconsin looked two touchdowns better than Nebraska. 

And, it's pretty simple to do when you're within normal field goal range and we miss or don't kick because we don't have a kicker....or, the kicker can't get it in the end zone so the team has a TD.  That's totally different than many "what-ifs".  

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You can play "had a couple plays gone a different way" with every game, but at the end of the day Wisconsin looked two touchdowns better than Nebraska. 

I definitely think Wisconsin looked like the much better team on Saturday, NU was pretty fortunate to force them into three short FG's, or the score could have been much worse.

My comments about the kicking team were around comments from fans and media saying that the offense only scored 21 points on nearly 500 yards.  I agree that those stats aren't very efficient, but the points were misleading.  NU was forced to going for 2 TD's in the 4th quarter because of the missed FG midway through the 3rd quarter.  

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean ......

We out-gained them for the day. 

We had better yards per pass. 

We had better yards per rush. 

We were better on third down. 

We had fewer penalties. 

And we tied the turnover battle.

But if you insist...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1