Wisconsin Post Game Thread

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yet Martinez needs to be benched. One of my brothers actually texted that to me today. Ugh. 

I was extremely frustrated by the 21 yard sack.....He flashed like freshman AM and then played a lot like AM 2.0.  I wish the staff would simplify his reads in the passing game.  Just read 1-2 and then go....I wish he'd play pi$$ed.  

22 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I literally post stats weekly about Chinander improving every defense he has been a DC for but people like to ignore facts. This game didn't move the needle much on this season, still better defensively than last year in almost every category

Not to say Chinander is the ultimate answer, but find me an example of a team firing their DC in year 2 when their defense is better than the year before which is better than the year prior to that. 

People wanted to fire McBride as late as 1993. Now he's a legend and people want his defenses back, and think of them when they talk about the Blackshirt tradition.

But hey, they gave up a ton of garbage yards at UCF when Frost's offense was up by 70... and stuff. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The first missed FG forced Frost to go for it from 4th and 4 in the 4th quarter. If Pickering makes that first FG, Frost probably attempts a short field goal to bring the score within 7. You seem to be arguing against the 4th down attempts because of the results of the plays. 

No, I thought today's risks were justified. My contention from the thread you're referencing is that we cannot assume failure in the kicking game 100% of the time. 

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I was extremely frustrated by the 21 yard sack.....He flashed like freshman AM and then played a lot like AM 2.0.  I wish the staff would simplify his reads in the passing game.  Just read 1-2 and then go....I wish he'd play pi$$ed.  

I had a Bobby Newcombe flashback.

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think the played a lot more like freshman AM today, and made a lot of good plays with his legs and arm. He had 2 mistakes, and unfortunately the team can’t overcome any of those mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

No, I thought today's risks were justified. My contention from the thread you're referencing is that we cannot assume failure in the kicking game 100% of the time. 

I am not assuming failure 100% of the time. I am assuming the expected points from a FG attempt 45 yards plus is less than going for it on 4th down and short from the same spot on the field. 

Hindsight is 20/20....they dropped 8 into coverage a few times and Martinez best option was probably for somebody to put that spy on his a$$ so he could scramble. That's the kind of thing I hope they're adjusting during the game. If they drop 8 and it's obvious nobody is open, it becomes a coordinated scramble...kind of like how a screen develops.

If we had kicked field goals in the two possessions in the red zone in the second half, we put up 27. We put up 493 yards of offense against the #2 total defensive squad in the country. 

But we don't have a defense. We have no outside linebackers at all, nobody at that spot that can help change the game. 

Again, I think this is a 4-5 year fix. I really hate this soft defensive scheme that Chinander plays but I also know it'll look at least a little better with some more talent. All I can really say is that Wisconsin plays in a 3-4 - Erik should spend his offseason watching their film and trying to duplicate what they do. This program is in a permanent purgatory with defensive problems. And arguably we haven't had a real defensive coordinator since Bo in 2003.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

17 carries for 188 yards against Wisconsin. Mills has some skills.

I'd say that had a lot to do with the O Line and scheme. Coaches found something and the Line blocked well. Mills wasn't touched for ten yards on a lot of those runs.

Also, for anyone interested, the coaches aren't resting:

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

His defense at ucf forced a lot of turnovers but gave up a lot of yards and points. I dont believe that expecting to win games 40-35 is a good idea in the big ten. There's going to be several games a year where nebraska runs into defenses that are some of the nations best and Nebraska's offense wont be able to bail chin out.

Spot on. Chin seems to have a few defenders on here in Knapplc and theSker, but most see the reality that Chin has never had a stout dominant defense, nor has he shown anything that suggests he will.  Moreover, his in game decision making with the talent we have now is not great.  The Indiana game was very winnable, and Chin chose to sit back and not blitz, allowing their accurate pocket passer all day to eat up our secondary. And when I look at our current 2020 recruiting I don't see Chin lighting it up with a bunch of 4 and 5-star defensive players.  

• Plus1 3