Wisconsin Post Game Thread

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree 2017 was bad all around.  Banker actually had better stats in 2016 than Diaco did in 2017 for sure.  My concern is that I don't see drastic defensive improvements all around from Chin Year 1 to Chin Year 2, and I don't see him landing many 4 and 5 star defensive recruits.  We may have marginally improved from 2018 to 2019 in some defensive categories, and perhaps we can marginally improved in 2020, but I don't see us ever taking a huge leap and getting to a stout dominant defense under Chin at any point in time.  

Do you see our recruiting? We have little defensive talent now but this staff is bringing in major talent on that side of the ball. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Do you see our recruiting? We have little defensive talent now but this staff is bringing in major talent on that side of the ball. 

We have 6 defensive recruits currently for 2020 with two having four stars.  Nash definitely has potential but we need a lot more help in the D-line as Frost suggested after the last loss.  I am hoping they have a lot more recruits up their sleeves as I agree the D-side needs help.

There were some good gets in the 2019 class so I am hopeful many of them will be able to produce next year.

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

We have 6 defensive recruits currently for 2020 with two having four stars.  Nash definitely has potential but we need a lot more help in the D-line as Frost suggested after the last loss.  I am hoping they have a lot more recruits up their sleeves as I agree the D-side needs help.

There were some good gets in the 2019 class so I am hopeful many of them will be able to produce next year.

In my opinion more talent has been brought in and retained on the defensive side than the offensive side since Frost has gotten here

6 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

I think Steve Taylor hit the nail on the head.  We have some players in the secondary that are afraid to hit.  A glancing shoulder blow and falling to the ground doesn't cut it in big boy football.  That's certainly not Husker football.  We need to find people who can cover and love to hit and wrap up.

Cam Taylor-Britt seems to play physical.  Noa Pola-Gates might fit the bill.  If Javin Wright plays 2/3 like his father that would be a good start to getting the defense up to the blackshirt standard.  I'm kind of glad we didn't get Bookie.  Watching him now and he's just too little.

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

Cam Taylor-Britt seems to play physical.  Noa Pola-Gates might fit the bill.  If Javin Wright plays 2/3 like his father that would be a good start to getting the defense up to the blackshirt standard.  I'm kind of glad we didn't get Bookie.  Watching him now and he's just too little.

Cam is physical. Just needs to become a better tackler. NPG needs to get bigger in the offseason. He just isn’t very big right now. But he does bring the wood.

Just now, WVhuskerXX said:

Cam is physical. Just needs to become a better tackler. NPG needs to get bigger in the offseason. He just isn’t very big right now. But he does bring the wood.

I remember being impressed by a sack Cam had earlier this season.  QB went splat, like a bug on the windshield.  Our whole secondary needs to hit the weight room.

I'm terribly frustrated by the defense.  Just about as frustrated as I used to be when the Florida teams would destroy our season.  I remember saying, outloud, "Oh cripes, we've got Florida State at 3 and 17, right where they freaking want us!"  Then they'd hit a 20 yard pass.  Over and over and over. 

Our defense could NOT defend against that. 

I, and everyone I knew wanted the defensive coaches replaced. 

But Tom brought the defensive coaches together within a teaching confine and they learned, how to do the seemingly impossible. 

We changed players, we changed schemes, we changed mentalities, but we kept our coaches.  And we succeeded. 

Still, it took two - four years to happen.  But, it, happened.

That doesn't mean that Chin is the answer, but it seems like he should be given the same chance.

• Plus1 4
33 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Problem is they are still just Freshmen  and redshirt Freshmen.  Let's see them as Juniors and Seniors before passing judgement.  I'm pleased with our current 2020 recruits, but we are having problems filling out the balance of the class.  That's a big a concern for me, but I'm hoping that staff can pull some "Cats" out of the bags, to use a Verduzco vernacular.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Skeeball said:

I think Steve Taylor hit the nail on the head.  We have some players in the secondary that are afraid to hit.  A glancing shoulder blow and falling to the ground doesn't cut it in big boy football.  That's certainly not Husker football.  We need to find people who can cover and love to hit and wrap up.  It's going to take recruiting and time.  I still believe Frost is the right man for the job.  He not only has the skill set and drive, but he understands the tradition and bleeds Husker red.  We've had coaches and ADs in the not too distant past who were content to go through the motion and pick up their paycheck.  You know who I'm talking about.  We may not make a bowl game this year, but I'm excited to see what we look like when Frost's recruits are Juniors and Seniors.

It was nice to see Myles Farmer come up and lay a hit on a guy during the game. I feel good about Fisher and the d backs. I think the DL is in good hands with Tuioti. Concerned about our LB coaching and recruiting but hoping they just need guys to develop. It'd be nice if they could bring in a consultant for Chins. I think he needs a mentor to help him up his game. 

44 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I'm terribly frustrated by the defense.  Just about as frustrated as I used to be when the Florida teams would destroy our season.  I remember saying, outloud, "Oh cripes, we've got Florida State at 3 and 17, right where they freaking want us!"  Then they'd hit a 20 yard pass.  Over and over and over. 

Our defense could NOT defend against that. 

I, and everyone I knew wanted the defensive coaches replaced. 

But Tom brought the defensive coaches together within a teaching confine and they learned, how to do the seemingly impossible. 

We changed players, we changed schemes, we changed mentalities, but we kept our coaches.  And we succeeded. 

Still, it took two - four years to happen.  But, it, happened.

That doesn't mean that Chin is the answer, but it seems like he should be given the same chance.

Why do people love comparing this staff to Osborne’s? Just because it worked for Osborne doesn’t mean it will work for Frost.

Osborne had far superior talent than Frost does and most of the teams they played back then.