Wisconsin Post Game Thread

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

We also have the worst P5 record for teams with over 350 sports writers.

Wow.  Big plays or bust........Someone else had posted the average points scored per yard and NU again is under performing on that front as well.  Our O has the inability to close the deal and our D gives up too many points.  Obvious statement.  That can't all be on the "lack of talent".  You don't buck those percentages without breakdown all around......How to you honestly fix it?  Based on yardage alone it appears we have the talent to get them.  Why can't we push it in?  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Wow.  Big plays or bust........Someone else had posted the average points scored per yard and NU again is under performing on that front as well.  Our O has the inability to close the deal and our D gives up too many points.  Obvious statement.  That can't all be on the "lack of talent".  You don't buck those percentages without breakdown all around......How to you honestly fix it?  Based on yardage alone it appears we have the talent to get them.  Why can't we push it in?  

Scheme is easier perform when there is more space to operate and get guys in open areas. The pass to Spielman for that TD was a great example. Warner and Noa were on routes in the flat, and that left JD one on one with their safety. He made a great fake on the crossing route, and then was wide open into the corner. That route is easier from the 25, and much more difficult closer to the end zone.

Closer to the end zone, with less space, it’s more about guys winning one one one battles. The goes for the entire offense, lines, WR’s, RB’s, and QB. The LB made a great play on Martinez when Martinez looked to scramble on 4th and 4.   Usually Martinez wins that battle, but didn’t on that play. Mazour couldn’t make the tackler miss on 4th and goal on the slip screen.  Maybe Wandale does make that guy miss and score.

There is still a lack of talent and depth on the offensive side.  The line needs to get better, WR’s need to be better, and the RB’s need more depth. Martinez can play better and make quicker decisions, as well. It would also help if there was a reliable kicking game.  The first missed FG, forces Frost to go for it on 4th and 4 in the 4th quarter, and that drive probably results in points.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Scheme is easier perform when there is more space to operate and get guys in open areas. The pass to Spielman for that TD was a great example. Warner and Noa were on routes in the flat, and that left JD one on one with their safety. He made a great fake on the crossing route, and then was wide open into the corner. That route is easier from the 25, and much more difficult closer to the end zone.

Closer to the end zone, with less space, it’s more about guys winning one one one battles. The goes for the entire offense, lines, WR’s, RB’s, and QB. The LB made a great play on Martinez when Martinez looked to scramble on 4th and 4.   Usually Martinez wins that battle, but didn’t on that play. Mazour couldn’t make the tackler miss on 4th and goal on the slip screen.  Maybe Wandale does make that guy miss and score.

There is still a lack of talent and depth on the offensive side.  The line needs to get better, WR’s need to be better, and the RB’s need more depth. Martinez can play better and make quicker decisions, as well. It would also help if there was a reliable kicking game.  The first missed FG, forces Frost to go for it on 4th and 4 in the 4th quarter, and that drive probably results in points.  

If you go for a FG and make it, then get that touchdown on the final drive with a PAT, you are down 6 and can win the game with an onside kick recovery and regular score.  A lot of ifs, but I like our chances better of doing that than 2 TDs and 2 2 point conversions.  Even with our horrible FG kicking game, we have our starting kicker back and need to attempt a few more FGs in games if within the 45 yard range or less.  If they don't trust the starting FG kicker enough, they better try to recruit a FG kicker very hard in the offseason and give him a scholarship.  I bet they don't.

11 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

If you go for a FG and make it, then get that touchdown on the final drive with a PAT, you are down 6 and can win the game with an onside kick recovery and regular score.  A lot of ifs, but I like our chances better of doing that than 2 TDs and 2 2 point conversions.  Even with our horrible FG kicking game, we have our starting kicker back and need to attempt a few more FGs in games if within the 45 yard range or less.  If they don't trust the starting FG kicker enough, they better try to recruit a FG kicker very hard in the offseason and give him a scholarship.  I bet they don't.

You thought NU should have kicked a FG down by 13 with 8 minutes left in the game?  That is where I disagree. At that point in the game, NU needs 2 TD’s. Even if NU makes the FG, we are down 2 scores. NU maybe doesn’t even get the ball back twice, especially since onside kick are near impossible to recover with the new kicking rules.

Also, I don’t get the thought of fans saying Frost is going for it too often on 4th down. It makes more sense going for 4th and shorts when the offense is between the 30 and 40. I already discussed that at length in the Close Games thread. Frost trusted Pickering to make a 40-something yard FG In the 3rd quarter. He was doing what you want him to do, and Pickering missed the FG!!

• Plus1 1

This is a great example of why the kicking game is so important....  a bad kicking game puts pressure on so many other things. It forces you to go for fourth down more often. It changes you play-calling when in opposition territory because the insecurity in your kicking game might make you feel like you have to go for TDs or get closer. You put pressure on your punter who will get more snaps punting from midfield or thereabouts, which can be awkward. And of course missed FGs are just killers from an emotional standpoint. And missed PATs.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I would say there's a big difference between what mcbride did here and getting up in front of the media after every loss and saying its not you its your untalented players.

So... you're saying CHARLIE MCBRIDE wouldn't tell a player they sucked a$$ if they, indeed, sucked a$$? Because he was what? Too nice of a guy for that? 

Wow.  Does McBride spin straw into gold in this fairy tale, too?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I retract what I said about special teams being better now - that was terrible all around.

Offensively, we've got to figure out how to finish. Some of those 4th down playcalls were a little sketch, and some of them we jus tneeding a dude to make a play. I love Mazour, but against teams like Wisconsin he just doesn't cut it. We missed Wan'Dale a lot.

On the bright side, running game was solid which was unexpected. Martinez needs to come up with a strategy for when there's a spy. I though he did in the third quarter, baited the guy up and threw around him. But then later there were a few plays where he seemed surprised a guy was there, 4th down beign the key one.

Defensively it was better than past games, but that's not saying anything. Bootle can't be a safety - he's a good corner, but he's just not a great tackler.

Also hated some of our scheme stuff, although I admit I'm not an expert. But every time the ran trips with a TE on the opposite side, with the RB to the trips side it put Bootle as essentially an OLB to the TE side. If we've got Deontai or a healthy Cam maybe that works, but at best it's Bootle one on one with Taylor and at worst Bootle has to take on a climbing Guard. Yikes.

In fairness to Chins/the defense, we were half strength at best. Darrion, Carlos, and Deontai (even a healthier Taylor-Britt) would've made a big difference. I think the most concerning thing on D for me is we never get stops after a sudden change. Take Illinois for example, with our 4 offensive turnovers inside our own 40. That's a tough spot, and I understand we'll likely give up some points. But you've got to shut them down sometimes, and at least hold people to field goals. If we turn the ball over in our own territory, it's almost always a touchdown. Good defenses find ways to make those FGs and sometimes get the ball back.

15 hours ago, Red Five said:

You gain 350 yards, you normally win. Unless you are Nebraska

This actually gives me optimism.  We racked up over 490 yards of offense on Saturday.  Did they need to score more when they had the chance?  Yes.  Did the defense need to get some stops?  Yes.

But, there were some bright spots to build on against a very good team.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I would say there's a big difference between what mcbride did here and getting up in front of the media after every loss and saying its not you its your untalented players.

Yes because that is what Frost does. Do we listen to the same press conferences? Frost regularly takes blame

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

As for the kicking game I think Pickering can be better but that hip flexor injury has caused problems. At least I hope thats the case because we are in no position to waste a schollie on a kicker. Wee need those for other positions

I hope Frost brings in a preferred walk-on to compete with Pickering for next year.  Then if that walk-on wins the job, Frost can nudge Pickering out the door in 2021 and give that a scholarship to the walk-on. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hope Frost brings in a preferred walk-on to compete with Pickering for next year.  Then if that walk-on wins the job, Frost can nudge Pickering out the door in 2021 and give that a scholarship to the walk-on. 

I would like to see one too.  However, it also wouldn't surprise me if Pickering heals up over the off season and we see a much improved kicker with him next year.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sounds good to me. We would still have Jorgenson too. Whats his status right now?