Wisconsin Post Game Thread

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I agree with this statement.

According to this site, we're 84th in total defense. What I typically hear on this forum is "w3LL l00k h0w much b3tte2 tHat is tHaN riLey!!!!11" Great. It's better than Riley. But it still sucks and based on high school recruiting rankings of our blackshirts, I believe it should be better.

It's not just "there are only two options" situation, where the two options are:

1. We're a bit better than Riley on defense so shut up and smile.

2. We're absolutely terrible and the staff sucks and Chinander should be fired.

For me there's a third option where I believe Chinander needs to step up his game. We're not as bad as when we ranked 116th in total defense under Diaco...but I think we should be better against the run than we have been this season. That's my argument. 

I think Frost agrees with you in this sentiment.  Frost basically said this much on Saturday after the game.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Throw in the fact that many players just flat out left, it makes it challenging to fully analyze how well the staff is at developing players.

Yep. If I have the numbers correct, I'm pretty sure four linebackers left the program from the 2017 class. Obviously the damage that low depth has on your situation is a big deal.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Typing "fire Chinander" every other post doesn't solve a thing.  There's a high chance he's the D coordinator next season.

It was being pointed out at the time that our offense was coming up empty too often in the red zone.

Great point. A lot of criticism has been heaped on Chins and the defense this year... some of that has been deserved. However, Frost & staff were known for the offensive prowess, not that they were a powerhouse defensive group. I would argue the offense has been the more disappointing of the two this year.

I do believe it is important to keep the staff together for at least next season. The carousel of defensive coaches has gone on for too long.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Throw in the fact that many players just flat out left, it makes it challenging to fully analyze how well the staff is at developing players.

This is a big factor in the speed of the turn around.  I would be interested in knowing the situations where a coach immediately turns a team around, what percentage of his upper classmen stuck around and were leaders on the team during the transition.  I don't have the answer, but I have my suspicions.  

38 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

For sure, and I'm curious how it would've gone if we were at full health. But I'm still baffled at things like this - I'm surprised they didn't run out of this more, we're just not equipped to stop any runs to the TE side here.

image.thumb.png.b31304379f3556500b130f40cdfe2d91.png

The main problem I have with this is our personnel. It looks like that is Bootle walked down from Safety into the box, and Domann covering the slot at the top of the screen. Those two should be flipped, as I don't want Bootle anywhere near run support. 

Other than that, it's pretty simple: Davis keeps outside contain and force the ball inside. LBs flow, and the Bootle/Domann position takes care of the run funneled inside. 

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep. If I have the numbers correct, I'm pretty sure four linebackers left the program from the 2017 class. Obviously the damage that low depth has on your situation is a big deal.

There are 3 scholarship ILB's who are getting regular playing time.  One was a converted OLB who I think has played the best ILB this year, one is a year removed from an ACL tear (while he's playing, those injuries are typically 2-years before they are fully 100%), and one is a captain, he isn't playing well.

The fact that Ruud has been able to turn Colin Miller into a serviceable ILB shows me that he can develop players.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

True, and I'm not claiming I have better ideas. I'm sure whatever I came up with would have massive drawbacks. But having a gap sound defense isn't difficult, having a gap sound defense where the guys have a reasonable chance at being able to do their assignments is. This specific play Bootle and Barry are done from the beginning, Barry because of leverage and Bootle because he's supposed to take on the Tackle. The dline and Bootle even do a good job here, and it's still an 8 yard carry by the backup.

2019-11-18 09_54_06-2019 Nebraska vs Wisconsin in 40 Minutes (Full Game) - YouTube.jpg

But the problem isn't necessarily the alignment.  It's the execution.

As I said above, as long as the DE doesn't get reach-blocked it's fine.  But the DE got reach-blocked.  He started outside the guard so as long as the guard can't overtake him the tackle either has to help (freeing up Bootle) or the DE should be able to make the play.  But obviously the DE got reach-blocked so now we're in trouble.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The main problem I have with this is our personnel. It looks like that is Bootle walked down from Safety into the box, and Domann covering the slot at the top of the screen. Those two should be flipped, as I don't want Bootle anywhere near run support. 

Other than that, it's pretty simple: Davis keeps outside contain and force the ball inside. LBs flow, and the Bootle/Domann position takes care of the run funneled inside. 

I agree with your take here.

I think we might have been limited by personnel available.  I saw speculation that Bootle moved to Safety and Taylor-Britt moved to corner because Britt's shouldn't still isn't 100%.  So they moved him to corner to get him on the field but try to limit his contact in run support.  Not sure if that's the case or not but it makes sense.  And if it is true, it would usually be Britt in that spot which would be a lot better.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But the problem isn't necessarily the alignment.  It's the execution.

As I said above, as long as the DE doesn't get reach-blocked it's fine.  But the DE got reach-blocked.  He started outside the guard so as long as the guard can't overtake him the tackle either has to help (freeing up Bootle) or the DE should be able to make the play.  But obviously the DE got reach-blocked so now we're in trouble.

Fair enough. I still don't like that if everyone does their job, we get Jonathan Taylor one on one with Bootle. I don't care if that's in a hole or in space, I don't like the match up. But like you and Cdog are pointing out, that's more personnel than anything. And I suppose you can't completely restructure your defense late in the year when injuries have changed the Safety outlook, but I was just cringing every time they came out in this formation.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I agree with your take here.

I think we might have been limited by personnel available.  I saw speculation that Bootle moved to Safety and Taylor-Britt moved to corner because Britt's shouldn't still isn't 100%.  So they moved him to corner to get him on the field but try to limit his contact in run support.  Not sure if that's the case or not but it makes sense.  And if it is true, it would usually be Britt in that spot which would be a lot better.

Taylor-Britt was playing CB, and re-injured himself of kickoff coverage in the 2nd quarter.  Braxton Clark came in and I thought was ok in coverage, although he did miss a tackle on a short pass route into the flat after he came in.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

So... you're saying CHARLIE MCBRIDE wouldn't tell a player they sucked a$$ if they, indeed, sucked a$$? Because he was what? Too nice of a guy for that? 

Wow.  Does McBride spin straw into gold in this fairy tale, too?

That's not at all what i said. There's a difference between doing something publicly and doing it privately. 

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

First....that comment is soooo 2 days ago.  

And it was a sarcastic response to your "demand" for evidence.  The stats for our defense have been posted many many times.  We're aware of them.

Since 2017 our 3rd down defense is hurting us badly.  We'll see if Frost and Chinander can solve that.

I certainly hope they can.

Typing "fire Chinander" every other post doesn't solve a thing.  There's a high chance he's the D coordinator next season.

It was being pointed out at the time that our offense was coming up empty too often in the red zone.

I agree there is a good chance he will be back, but defending him at all costs is why many have raised questions back to you. If I recall you also were a big defender of Riley.  I am honestly just curious why you feel he is deserving to be the DC in 2020 (other than just saying he needs more time or talent).

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree there is a good chance he will be back, but defending him at all costs is why many have raised questions back to you. If I recall you also were a big defender of Riley.  I am honestly just curious why you feel he is deserving to be the DC in 2020 (other than just saying he needs more time or talent).

Who defends Chinander "at all costs"?

Let me answer that for you.  Not a single poster.

A big defender of Riley?  Me?

Your accuracy just went to zero.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1