Wisconsin Post Game Thread

9 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I would say there's a big difference between what mcbride did here and getting up in front of the media after every loss and saying its not you its your untalented players.

8 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

No and i never said i did. I was referring to that one example from that article.

You grossly exaggerated what Frost has said.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is kind of a perplexing statement.

How so? Between the offense or the defense, which side has been more of a letdown this season for you? 

My take -- Too much hype before the season (Heisman talk, scoring explosion, etc.) that all tended to focus on the offense performing well in year two. I don't recall anybody suggesting our defense was expected to be a top 10-20 type. So in that regard, I am more disappointed in our offensive output than our defensive performance overall.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

How so? Between the offense or the defense, which side has been more of a letdown this season for you? 

My take -- Too much hype before the season (Heisman talk, scoring explosion, etc.) that all tended to focus on the offense performing well in year two. I don't recall anybody suggesting our defense was expected to be a top 10-20 type. So in that regard, I am more disappointed in our offensive output than our defensive performance overall.

Defense has been much more of a letdown, for sure.

The Minnesota game was terrible on offense, but I think that game plays out differently if a healthy Adrian Martinez is at the helm, just as we saw against Wisconsin.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

The Minnesota game was terrible on offense, but I think that game plays out differently if a healthy Adrian Martinez is at the helm, just as we saw against Wisconsin.

The offense has been hindered for numerous reasons.  My biggest reasons are injuries all over the roster with a roster which started the season pretty thin, new starters on the o-line, Mo Washington's inconsistency/lack of dependability/eventual suspension, along with Martinez struggling with preseason expectations, injuries of his own, and opposing defensive coaches adjusting to him.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

The offense has been hindered for numerous reasons.  My biggest reasons are injuries all over the roster with a roster which started the season pretty thin, new starters on the o-line, Mo Washington's inconsistency/lack of dependability/eventual suspension, along with Martinez struggling with preseason expectations, injuries of his own, and opposing defensive coaches adjusting to him.

Are you more disappointed in the offense or the defense this season, Husk?

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Are you more disappointed in the offense or the defense this season, Husk?

I had high expectations for the offense, but given all of what I stated above, I am not as disappointed with the offense.  I understand why they are struggling out there at times.

I am more disappointed with the defense, given the experience which returned.  I thought a veteran group would improve more.  They are basically the same defense against teams NU played last year, so it appears to be both a scheme and talent issue.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I had high expectations for the offense, but given all of what I stated above, I am not as disappointed with the offense.  I understand why they are struggling out there at times.

I am more disappointed with the defense, given the experience which returned.  I thought a veteran group would improve more.  They are basically the same defense against teams NU played last year, so it appears to be both a scheme and talent issue.

Fair point, but defense has had their own share of injuries this year too. I will agree that the experience level returning should have helped more than it has but they have performed as most expected in being middle of the road this year. But we haven't really had a clean game offensively since the NIU game. No doubt we've had some flashes since then and looked to have a good one going with Indiana but too often we've shot ourselves in the foot offensively. Hopefully these are learning lessons for the group and we'll be better for it going forward.

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Fair point, but defense has had their own share of injuries this year too. I will agree that the experience level returning should have helped more than it has but they have performed as most expected in being middle of the road this year. But we haven't really had a clean game offensively since the NIU game. No doubt we've had some flashes since then and looked to have a good one going with Indiana but too often we've shot ourselves in the foot offensively. Hopefully these are learning lessons for the group and we'll be better for it going forward.

I think the inconsistency on the offense you point out is symptom/by product of the overall problems I pointed out.  Young linemen are going to be inherently inconsistent.  Washington being in and out of the lineup with suspensions and injuries.  Kade Warner being injured impacting the outside blocking and taking away a reliable route-runner.  Relying on Wandale to take more of a burden on the offense was needed until he became too injured to play.  New guys like Mills and Noa taking a few games to find a groove with the offense.  Martinez taking on a giant burden of the offense and fans' expectations being a bit high for him.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the inconsistency on the offense you point out is symptom/by product of the overall problems I pointed out.  Young linemen are going to be inherently inconsistent.  Washington being in and out of the lineup with suspensions and injuries.  Kade Warner being injured impacting the outside blocking and taking away a reliable route-runner.  Relying on Wandale to take more of a burden on the offense was needed until he became too injured to play.  New guys like Mills and Noa taking a few games to find a groove with the offense.  Martinez taking on a giant burden of the offense and fans' expectations being a bit high for him.

True, all true which is why I have been more disappointed with the offense. The same problems are plaguing the team that we've had for a few years now on that side of the ball... namely turnovers, sacks and questionable play calls. 

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

True, all true which is why I have been more disappointed with the offense. The same problems are plaguing the team that we've had for a few years now on that side of the ball... namely turnovers, sacks and questionable play calls. 

I don't think this year's problems are due to the same reasons as past years.  While some are similar, I think this year has even more unique issues.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think this year's problems are due to the same reasons as past years.  While some are similar, I think this year has even more unique issues.

The whole situation with Washington is a pretty big blow to the turnaround process.

First off, he didn't seem to be following his meal plan program nor weightlifting to the extent he should have in the offseason. He really needed to gain some weight to be more durable in the B1G.

Then he gets kicked off the team.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have the opinion that the carry-over players had so little development early in their career, that Frost was trying to play catch-up with them.

Riley stunted their growth, IMO. I consider this to be practically a team of nothing but freshmen and sophomores. Probably none of them will have reached their full original potential by the time they've exhausted their eligibility.

4 hours ago, Undone said:

Yep. If I have the numbers correct, I'm pretty sure four linebackers left the program from the 2017 class. Obviously the damage that low depth has on your situation is a big deal.

Good, you understand that part. Now go look at the recruiting board and check out how many juco linebackers the staff has sent offered lately to try and fill that hole.

51 minutes ago, Undone said:

The D was 88th in scoring defense last year and is 84th this year, but the O has plummeted from 58th scoring offense to 87th. You need to lay off the crackpipe if you honestly think the defense has been the bigger letdown this year.

• Fire 1