Wisconsin Post Game Thread

5 minutes ago, Nebraskahaha said:

Face it, Nebraska football is a mediocre program, no better than rival to the south Kansas. The glory days are over and not coming back, accept it. I suggest going back to the big 8.12, at least there you dont have to have a defense to be average. In the big 10 you will be tier 3 bottom dwellers and maybe tier 2 every four years. How does it feel? Your fan base were such jerks for so long you get this email to rub salt not because of anything else. Deal. 

I remember my first beer 

• Plus1 3

11 minutes ago, Nebraskahaha said:

Face it, Nebraska football is a mediocre program, no better than rival to the south Kansas. The glory days are over and not coming back, accept it. I suggest going back to the big 8.12, at least there you dont have to have a defense to be average. In the big 10 you will be tier 3 bottom dwellers and maybe tier 2 every four years. How does it feel? Your fan base were such jerks for so long you get this email to rub salt not because of anything else. Deal. 

Email?  Turn off mom's computer before you get into trouble, lil' fella.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

He has never led a stout defense in his life so there is really no hope that he has what it takes to turn it around. 

idk how i feel about chins for sure, but how many D coordinators currently working have and do lead stout defenses, generally speaking?

4 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It's a guess based upon my observations on many fan sites and twitter.  Many of us share opinions about topics....not sure why you are so triggered with the statement I made.

Most nebraska fans aren't active on fan sites and twitter. 90% is a hilarious estimation on your part, because you've got some very heavy selection bias by only looking at active online fans, ie, the ones who are the most vocal and concerned and also often most prone to overreaction. 

I think Steve Taylor hit the nail on the head.  We have some players in the secondary that are afraid to hit.  A glancing shoulder blow and falling to the ground doesn't cut it in big boy football.  That's certainly not Husker football.  We need to find people who can cover and love to hit and wrap up.  It's going to take recruiting and time.  I still believe Frost is the right man for the job.  He not only has the skill set and drive, but he understands the tradition and bleeds Husker red.  We've had coaches and ADs in the not too distant past who were content to go through the motion and pick up their paycheck.  You know who I'm talking about.  We may not make a bowl game this year, but I'm excited to see what we look like when Frost's recruits are Juniors and Seniors.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Which literally tell you nothing about whether the defense is improving or not.

I don't know if Chins is the answer or not.  But I'm going to believe Frost when he says that he thinks we need more "pieces" on defense and give Chins more than two years to see how he does.  And believe me own eyes which tell me the same thing.

Especially when he is - in fact - improving the defense.

I don't think people realize how terrible our defense was the three years before these guys got here.  Look at how many Yards Per Play we have been allowing compared to what our opponents did against everyone else.  Everyone knows how terrible the 2007 defense was.  The 2015 was pretty much exactly as bad.  And the 2017 defense?  It was TWICE as bad as either one of them. 

TWICE AS BAD

Chinander cut the difference down to a third last year.  We haven't really gained anything this year but we haven't really been able to get any new players either.  

It has improved greatly from two years ago.  It doesn't matter where we're ranking in the conference, we're still better than we were.  We need to be even better than that - probably by quite a bit.  But we are headed the right way.

YEAR - YPP - OYPP - DIFF
2003 - 4.3 - 5.15 -(0.85)

2004 - 5.0 - 4.91 - 0.09
2005 - 4.6 - 4.85 -(0.25)
2006 - 5.2 - 5.38 -(0.18)
2007 - 6.0 - 5.53 - 0.47

2008 - 5.4 - 5.41 -(0.01)
2009 - 3.9 - 5.21 -(1.31)
2010 - 4.5 - 5.29 -(0.79)
2011 - 5.2 - 5.51 -(0.31)
2012 - 5.3 - 5.48 -(0.18)
2013 - 4.9 - 5.36 -(0.46)
2014 - 5.2 - 5.53 -(0.33)

2015 - 5.7 - 5.28 - 0.42
2016 - 5.4 - 5.26 - 0.14

2017 - 6.3 - 5.37 - 0.93

2018 - 5.8 - 5.51 - 0.29

2019 - 5.7 - 5.38 - 0.32

I agree 2017 was bad all around.  Banker actually had better stats in 2016 than Diaco did in 2017 for sure.  My concern is that I don't see drastic defensive improvements all around from Chin Year 1 to Chin Year 2, and I don't see him landing many 4 and 5 star defensive recruits.  We may have marginally improved from 2018 to 2019 in some defensive categories, and perhaps we can marginally improved in 2020, but I don't see us ever taking a huge leap and getting to a stout dominant defense under Chin at any point in time.  

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Let’s Check the defensive stats. 12th in B1G in scoring defense. 12th in the B1G in total defense. 12th in the B1G rush defense. 9th in the B1G in pass defense. 12th in the B1G in 1st downs allowed. 12th in the B1G in 3rd down conversions. 14th in the B1G in red zone scoring. People aren’t ignoring the stats, they’re ignoring your stats because slightly better than a turd sandwich is still a turd f#&%ing sandwich.

And who exactly could turn this turd sandwich into a 5 star meal? Because he got a flaming turd sandwich and has made it better. What else is he supposed to do? Sorry its not fast enough for your impatientness, but we were awful in 2017 and we are getting better. What exactly were you expecting? You don't go from worst to first in 2 years unless you are Carl Pelini and I think we lost our cartel connection so good luck with that one.

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Let’s Check the defensive stats. 12th in B1G in scoring defense. 12th in the B1G in total defense. 12th in the B1G rush defense. 9th in the B1G in pass defense. 12th in the B1G in 1st downs allowed. 12th in the B1G in 3rd down conversions. 14th in the B1G in red zone scoring. People aren’t ignoring the stats, they’re ignoring your stats because slightly better than a turd sandwich is still a turd f#&%ing sandwich.

Where the defense ranks has no impact on chin because its all the players fault. 

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

idk how i feel about chins for sure, but how many D coordinators currently working have and do lead stout defenses, generally speaking?

Most nebraska fans aren't active on fan sites and twitter. 90% is a hilarious estimation on your part, because you've got some very heavy selection bias by only looking at active online fans, ie, the ones who are the most vocal and concerned and also often most prone to overreaction. 

There are many good DCs in the BIG alone, and it's not to say they have to have a top 20 defense every year, but there is nothing about Chin that suggests he will get there.  To be honest having a top 30 defense with a very strong offense is enough balance to compete and win in most conferences.

As for fan opinions of the D, it's not just what I have seen shared online.  I also have talked to many fans in person that do not feel optimistic about Chin, but sure, it is subjective as is anything on these sites.  My guess is that if the question were asked "Is Eric Chinander the Long-Term answer at Defensive Coordinator for Nebraska" with a simple Yes or No response, you would get far more saying No.