Wisconsin Post Game Thread

Defense played solid today considering Davis and Daniels didnt play.  Wiscy runs the ball well. I was surprised we didn’t give up the big runs today.   Taylor put your 250 against a great Iowa run defense.  We had a true fresh ty Robinson playing nose.  Give those kids time to develop and we will be fine.  Let alone we will have a couple more playmakers to go with wandale    (who didn’t play). 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Too bad you don’t win by getting the most yards.  

Yeah but the scheme works. When we get inside the 10-5 yd line then it becomes push. Which we don’t have yet. Couple better lineman and we get those points. Same as last year, we had 550-600 yds several times and lost. 

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Waldo said:

Why do people love comparing this staff to Osborne’s? Just because it worked for Osborne doesn’t mean it will work for Frost.

Osborne had far superior talent than Frost does and most of the teams they played back then. 

Were you around for TO's first 10 years?  I didn't say just because it worked for TO that it would work for Frost.  I only tangentially mentioned talent.  My only intent was to show that at one point our defense sucked, we made changes and got better.  And it took 2-4 years.  And finally, I said I wasn't sure it would work,  but swapping coaches every 18 - 24 months hasn't exactly worked either.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Defense played solid today considering Davis and Daniels didnt play.  Wiscy runs the ball well. I was surprised we didn’t give up the big runs today.   Taylor put your 250 against a great Iowa run defense.  We had a true fresh ty Robinson playing nose.  Give those kids time to develop and we will be fine.  Let alone we will have a couple more playmakers to go with wandale    (who didn’t play). 

I don't believe that allowing 482 yards on defense and having bad red zone defense constitutes as "solid."

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

But Tom brought the defensive coaches together within a teaching confine and they learned, how to do the seemingly impossible.

I stopped reading right there.

There's the difference between Frost and Osborne, as it stands currently. Notice that I said "as it stands currently." Frost has said - verbatim - that he does not coach the defense.

He needs to step in. I really believe that would help the situation greatly.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Why do people automatically think that getting a defensive coordinator that knows how to coach is impossible?!

keeping Chin because we wanted consistency in our staff is plain stupid. If Frost wants to keep him because he sees something that we don’t, I can understand but wanting to keep a coach not to disrupt the consistency knowing very well that they are not the right person for the job is not a smart move no matter who you are.

i have no doubt in my mind that Frost is the right person for Nebraska. I feel that in my bones. However, I simply don’t believe that Dewitt or Chin are right for us or for the BIG. They can be given ten years and they are not magically going to become good coaches. Good coaches are able to show their worth in one year. Chin and Dewitt have had two years and have shown a decline rather than an improvement. Thinking that next year they will get their acts together is simply foolish. This year was one of the easiest seasons we have had in a while and next year will not be any better. If we don’t make a bowl, Frost MUST make some tough decisions and do something to ensure next year will not be another disaster.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Landlord said:

idk how i feel about chins for sure, but how many D coordinators currently working have and do lead stout defenses, generally speaking?

Right. This is a good rhetorical point. How many "Brent Venables" types could one name off the top of your head?

More to trying to speak to the point, I've tried to point out what I believe are scheme issues that make this defense almost a spitting image of the Bob Diaco 3-4. People don't seem to want to hear that though because it's apparently just impossible to believe that anybody Frost would bring on could currently suck at what they're doing. But it seems obvious to me at least that that's a pretty naive narrative.

However, in fairness I'll say this and I've said this word-for-word on this forum before: Every coach in college football who becomes a "good" or even "great" coach was at one point a young guy starting out who possibly learned from mistakes. Chinander might in a few years go down as being this defensive genius for us who gets offers from all over. 

The point is that there aren't just two options (fire him now vs. he's a great coach). He could be a guy who has good potential but needs to adjust what he's doing to get better.

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

There are many good DCs in the BIG alone

Who?

7 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

As for fan opinions of the D, it's not just what I have seen shared online.  I also have talked to many fans in person that do not feel optimistic about Chin, but sure, it is subjective as is anything on these sites.  My guess is that if the question were asked "Is Eric Chinander the Long-Term answer at Defensive Coordinator for Nebraska" with a simple Yes or No response, you would get far more saying No.  

Well then first of all you should have mentioned that it included non-online perspectives, because your post before made it seem pretty clear that you were basing your idea  specifically on messageboards and twitter, because, you know, that's what you said. And second, getting 'far more' of one answer than the other isn't the same as 90%. 

14 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It's a guess based upon my observations on many fan sites and twitter.  Many of us share opinions about topics....not sure why you are so triggered with the statement I made.

Because 80% of husker nation doesn't post on forums. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Skeeball said:

Problem is they are still just Freshmen  and redshirt Freshmen.  Let's see them as Juniors and Seniors before passing judgement.  I'm pleased with our current 2020 recruits, but we are having problems filling out the balance of the class.  That's a big a concern for me, but I'm hoping that staff can pull some "Cats" out of the bags, to use a Verduzco vernacular.

Oh I completely agree. In my opinion that defense is more loaded with dudes than the offense thus far. Excited to see where TyRob, Henrich, Hannah, Nelson, Pola Gates, Clark, ect. Take us on defense