Nice job Offensive Line

BoNeyard

9 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

I think Farniok will be really good inside. He has never been a tackle, but he's there right now because there is no one else. 

He's played better as the season has gone along or after the Ohio St debacle but no it doesn't seem like a bad idea at all. 

I'm already wondering about our OL play next year which should be better.  Farniok, Jaimes and Wilson will all be seniors.  Jurgens and the other underclassmen will have that much needed experience under their belts plus any newcomers or underclassmen who have a little playing time this year that we throw into the mix.  (Bando, Benhart, etc)

It's probably been discussed, but it seems like Jurgens snaps are getting much, much better. Probably 3/4 are on the money. I didn't notice Martinez jumping as much to go get them. Has anyone been watching his actual blocking? With three years left in the program and the fundamentals starting to lock in, maybe he will become as good as they think? 

23 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

It's probably been discussed, but it seems like Jurgens snaps are getting much, much better. Probably 3/4 are on the money. I didn't notice Martinez jumping as much to go get them. Has anyone been watching his actual blocking? With three years left in the program and the fundamentals starting to lock in, maybe he will become as good as they think? 

His blocking has been good. Probably one of the better linemen from what I have seen. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

His blocking has been good. Probably one of the better linemen from what I have seen. 

Agreed. As I have been re-watching the OL play in the Wisconsin game, Jurgens stands out. IMO he is moving well, doing a good job with combo blocks, and climbing to the 2nd level in a hurry. I was pleasantly surprised with the OL, that we were able to win quite a few one on one battles and were moving the Whisky DL out quite often. Hopefully a forecast of things to come....

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Agreed. As I have been re-watching the OL play in the Wisconsin game, Jurgens stands out. IMO he is moving well, doing a good job with combo blocks, and climbing to the 2nd level in a hurry. I was pleasantly surprised with the OL, that we were able to win quite a few one on one battles and were moving the Whisky DL out quite often. Hopefully a forecast of things to come....

I think Farniok can be good inside. I think it all starts with Jurgens. Now that he's getting it, I think this group can really start to progress with its "QB of the line" excelling. The great news is he has A LOT of time to get way better too. We really need someone like Benhart or guys in this class to step up and be great at tackle.

1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

I do think that Jurgens has AA upside.  He's been able to maintain his explosiveness and quickness despite the added weight to his frame.  It's kinda like when Nebraska used to take safeties, bulk them up and turn them into matchup nightmares as OLBs.  You see guys with his combo of athleticism and explosiveness all the time as O-Lineman, they're just usually playing tackle.  He's just such an interesting test case of taking a guy with freak show athletic gifts and then dropping him into center of all places.  At the same time,

it totally makes sense.  If you have a guy at center that is strong enough to his his own against NTs without needing help and is also quick enough to perform reach blocks/get to the next level you're way ahead of the curve.  It'll be up to Austin to actually teach him how to play center.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I think Farniok can be good inside. I think it all starts with Jurgens. Now that he's getting it, I think this group can really start to progress with its "QB of the line" excelling. The great news is he has A LOT of time to get way better too. We really need someone like Benhart or guys in this class to step up and be great at tackle.

Good point, and I agree. Farniok's weakness is footwork on edge pressure, but I think he will do well as a Guard. He is being a great "team guy" by playing out of position because it's what it is needed. Sliding him inside will give us an experience OL guy at Guard, and hopefully the skill sets of Benhart, Banks, etc will be a better fit for OT and we will see the OL take some leaps forward. There appears to be a lot of potential in the 2019 class of OL guys......

3 hours ago, spurs1990 said:

Jurgens has been our best and most consistent oline this yr and it’s really not even close.  I think his growth needs to be as a leader of the oline translating to making the right line calls pre snap.

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree as well.

Nebraska really does have talent. It's mostly about coaching and scheme.

Couldn’t disagree more.  We have a walkon frost/sophomore at lg that shouldn’t  be playing.  We have 1-2 playing out of position and aren’t near athletic enough for the offense they want to run.  Not their fault but them the facts.  Additionally, I’d put $$ on at least 2 new oline starters next yr with the only ppl that are safe being jurgens and jaimes

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree as well.

Nebraska really does have talent. It's mostly about coaching and scheme.

5 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Couldn’t disagree more.  We have a walkon frost/sophomore at lg that shouldn’t  be playing.  We have 1-2 playing out of position and aren’t near athletic enough for the offense they want to run.  Not their fault but them the facts.  Additionally, I’d put $$ on at least 2 new oline starters next yr with the only ppl that are safe being jurgens and jaimes

We have talent, it's just young talent that needs (and is being) developed. Offensively, we don't have an upperclassman with all-conference type talent, let alone performance. We have some young guys with that kind of talent, there just aren't many who can turn it into all-conference play right away.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

I was trolling TheSker. Sorry you got in the way.

Although....if the same talent is able to perform that well against the best defense the Huskers will face, then playcalling, scheme and coaching must make a serious difference, and perhaps the talent shouldn't be thrown under the bus. 

Looks like you're new here. Just thought you should know that some people blame the talent in order to defend the coaching, and credit the coaching when the talent plays well.  Others think it's a combination of factors. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We have talent, it's just young talent that needs (and is being) developed. Offensively, we don't have an upperclassman with all-conference type talent, let alone performance. We have some young guys with that kind of talent, there just aren't many who can turn it into all-conference play right away.

Agreed I thought people meant that “talent” is currently playing.  Maybe but it’s only 1 and the rest are lifting and getting bigger watching this yr.  oline recruiting has been awesome to watch the last few yrs