Nice job Offensive Line

BoNeyard

2 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I still think we will see 2 new OT playing next year, 1 a RsFr and the other a TrFr. 

Is Corcoran an early enrollee? I don't think he beats out Jaimes as a true freshman, definitely not if he's a fall guy. I hope he gets his games in though and at least pushes him - Jaimes has mostly been fine, but definitely has some lapses.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

Couldn’t disagree more.  We have a walkon frost/sophomore at lg that shouldn’t  be playing.

Really?  I've gone back in the last couple of days the Minnesota game, second half of Purdue and all of the Wisconsin game.

Can you please point out plays where our Walk-on lineman was the problem on the line?

I'm going to be surprised if he's not starting next year even with Farniok moving inside.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Is Corcoran an early enrollee? I don't think he beats out Jaimes as a true freshman, definitely not if he's a fall guy. I hope he gets his games in though and at least pushes him - Jaimes has mostly been fine, but definitely has some lapses.

He is an EE.  

They want him to come in and take over that spot.  

Another guy to look for is Banks.  The coaches love him as a swing tackle.  Could play both LT and RT. 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  I've gone back in the last couple of days the Minnesota game, second half of Purdue and all of the Wisconsin game.

Can you please point out plays where our Walk-on lineman was the problem on the line?

I'm going to be surprised if he's not starting next year.

image.png.0805c2f35bf9db53b6fda70e97a21a11.png

I do think overall he's been fine, and he should continue to get better. But this jumps to my mind every time I hear his name at the moment.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

image.png.0805c2f35bf9db53b6fda70e97a21a11.png

I do think overall he's been fine, and he should continue to get better. But this jumps to my mind every time I hear his name at the moment.

That must be during the first half of the Purdue game?  I didn't see it in any of the video I watched.

I would be interested in actually seeing the video of it.  This is one play.  This would be like pointing to the play where Nelson pancakes the Wisconsin tackle and saying their right tackle isn't very good.

Yes, I expect him to get better.  One thing that I noticed.  Bando played LG the second half of the Minnesota game.  It was fairly obvious that Hixson is more athletic and gets to the second level to make blocks much easier.  He might even be stronger.  There is a play in one of the games where Martinez scrambles right. Hixson is athletic enough to make it all the way to that side of the field, engage the LB and continue pass blocking.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That must be during the first half of the Purdue game?  I didn't see it in any of the video I watched.

I would be interested in actually seeing the video of it.  This is one play.  This would be like pointing to the play where Nelson pancakes the Wisconsin tackle and saying their right tackle isn't very good.

Yes, I expect him to get better.  One thing that I noticed.  Bando played LG the second half of the Minnesota game.  It was fairly obvious that Hixson is more athletic and gets to the second level to make blocks much easier.  He might even be stronger.  There is a play in one of the games where Martinez scrambles right. Hixson is athletic enough to make it all the way to that side of the field, engage the LB and continue pass blocking.

It's the reason Bando played the second half at Minnesota:

Again, I do like Hixson and I know picking one play is unfair. But he's far from untouchable on the oline, there is room for improvement. That could be Hixson improving or another guy passing him, I could see either.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Again, I do like Hixson and I know picking one play is unfair. But he's far from untouchable on the oline, there is room for improvement. That could be Hixson improving or another guy passing him, I could see either.

Is that what the staff said was the reason?  I watched every play of his with Minnesota and didn't see where he was the problem.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is that what the staff said was the reason?  I watched every play of his with Minnesota and didn't see where he was the problem.

I guess I don't know if they said it directly, but it's the last offensive snap of the first half (video I posted should start with that play) and he didn't play much if at all in the second. Maybe he bruised his tailbone, but the fan sentiment at the time was it was because of that play. I think you may have missed that play if you're still insisting he was never the problem against Minnesota, but there were a lot of problems against them.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think you may have missed that play if you're still insisting he was never the problem against Minnesota, but there were a lot of problems against them.

I haven't said that.  You couldn't say that about any player on any team.  I've said he's not THE problem on the line.  Meaning.....I've seen comments (not just from you) where people indicate that he "shouldn't even see the field".  I don't agree.  We have much bigger issues than him playing.

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm going to be surprised if he's not starting next year even with Farniok moving inside.

Not just him, farniok, wilson, and jaimes all have their issues but Wilson and hixon have been disappointing.  The only two lineman I see as truly safe are jurgens and jaimes...jaimes mostly because there isn’t better just yet not because he’s done awesome.  Have they played better, sure.  I would argue up to and including the mn game and much of the Purdue game they had nowhere to go but up.  Again, some of this isn’t their fault but most just aren’t athletic enough to run the system efficiently.

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I guess I don't know if they said it directly, but it's the last offensive snap of the first half (video I posted should start with that play) and he didn't play much if at all in the second. Maybe he bruised his tailbone, but the fan sentiment at the time was it was because of that play. I think you may have missed that play if you're still insisting he was never the problem against Minnesota, but there were a lot of problems against them.

You are correct, Husker in WI, about the Minnesota game. Here is a quote, and the article is linked below:

"When Nebraska offensive line coach Greg Austin pulled left guard Trent Hixson from the game at Minnesota, he had a short, powerful message for the Omaha Skutt graduate. “I’ll never give up on you, bro, but I need more,” Austin said Wednesday."

The article also notes that Hixson rebounded and had a good game vs Indiana. I'm not sure how he has graded out since, but hopefully he is able to steadily improve as the season winds down.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, N is for nowledge said:

Not just him, farniok, wilson, and jaimes all have their issues but Wilson and hixon have been disappointing.  The only two lineman I see as truly safe are jurgens and jaimes...jaimes mostly because there isn’t better just yet not because he’s done awesome.  Have they played better, sure.  I would argue up to and including the mn game and much of the Purdue game they had nowhere to go but up.  Again, some of this isn’t their fault but most just aren’t athletic enough to run the system efficiently.

Hmmm...rewatching each play...I'm not seeing it with him.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I haven't said that.  You couldn't say that about any player on any team.  I've said he's not THE problem on the line.  Meaning.....I've seen comments (not just from you) where people indicate that he "shouldn't even see the field".  I don't agree.  We have much bigger issues than him playing.

Got it, I was misinterpreting your 'not the problem' comments to mean literally never, ha. We do have bigger issues than him playing for sure, and I think he's serviceable now. I do think for us to be where we want to be, our line has to be better than they are now - could be the current guys improving, could be other guys surpassing them.