Frustrations of the fan base

BigPeterJ

I'm gonna preface this by saying that i do truly believe Frost is our guy.  That being said, i do think Frost has truly sucked this year.  In fact, its plain as the whitebread that this state is (i love this state btw, my love of "the good life" is why i love the football team that is supposed to define our state more than anything else).

Im frustrated, and the list starts and ends with the head man.  Here is my short list of things that he has screwed up.

Mills: while he did have a bad first few games, he has looked like a good back for months now, why do we not use him more? The answer to this question could be hinted at in the post game pressers where Frost went out of his way to make sure to give Mills NO credit whatsoever in a game where he averaged 11 yards per carry against the #2 defense in the country.  The same game where if Frost stuck with him all game, we may win.  I dont know the ins and outs of the team, but from the limited amount of what we do know, Frost is covering his own a$$ for his decision to go away from the best weapon this offense has seen all year.  

Wandale: Most of the fan base saw the injury coming 3 games before it happened.  We were all screaming, Wandale is gonna get hurt.  Yet Frost keeps running him into the teeth of the defense for 2 yards a pop until...well...he got hurt of course.

2AM: I know many husker fans want to avoid isolating the QB, but AM clear as day looks bad.  He still cant read the field.  In a game where most fans are saying he played his best game of the year, he still ran tentatively, couldnt make anyone miss on many opportunities to get a first down if he could just make ONE man miss, he still didnt see wide open receivers, and had a few terrible passes.  BTW, the tipped ball that led to an interception....a good QB sees that defender and looks him off.  Yes when he had a wide open hole from good blocking he got 10 yards.....ummm so would anyone who runs a sub 5 sec :40.  Congratulations.  In a state that prides itself on its common sense, its amazing how so many fans (lead by Frost), fail to see the problems that are clear to anyone outside of the state.

Lastly, i hope JD doesnt get hurt.  With a QB who hangs people out to dry all to often, i really hope JD stays healthy. 

Notice all my gripes are with the offense.  Frost is the leader of the offense, and imo has not used his weapons correctly.  A good coach would have possibly won this game.  Wisconsin was not motivated to play this game.  We could have won.  I know they are a good team, much like OSU was a good team last year and we almost beat them.  This was the 3rd game in a row lost by poor coaching.  I love Frosts potential, and his passion for Nebraska Football, but he has been going down the wrong road.  If i was close to him i would tell him...watching how he handles the press conferences, he is always shifting blame that is his own, onto anyone else other than himself.  Its plain as can be, yet Nebraskans are ditching their common sense for the man cause they see him as a God.

• Thanks 2

I think even more telling than your explicit comments are the omissions.  Scott is the leader of the team, not just the offense.  We all know this, but the narrative that Chin is the accountability on D, DeWitt on ST, and Scott on O...this is not a three-headed beast.  Scott owns it all.

He's the guy. I'm glad we're giving him even more time.  Until he's talking and acting like this is fact, it's going to be an underachieving program.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

I think even more telling than your explicit comments are the omissions.  Scott is the leader of the team, not just the offense.  We all know this, but the narrative that Chin is the accountability on D, DeWitt on ST, and Scott on O...this is not a three-headed beast.  Scott owns it all.

He's the guy. I'm glad we're giving him even more time.  Until he's talking and acting like this is fact, it's going to be an underachieving program.

I couldnt add all of it, as it was already too long for this generation.  But i agree, Frost is accountable for the whole team, not only the offense.  Point is Frost has sucked deeply.  And thic coming from a supporter of the man.  I hope he learns his lessons this year.

Edit: Talkin bout hoodies and s#!t...bitch, look in the mirror, u wearing the damn hoodie

• Fire 1

Maybe Mills is playing better because the Oline is? 

Maybe Wandale got used to much because when a player shows and is a focal point, you use him? Look at Bama QB, every player is one play away from injury. 

AM did seem off most of the year, no doubt. But look at Lawerence at Clemson, soph slump anyone? And AM still ranks in like top 5 B1G in ypg and total offense. He’s our guy. He’s started what, 15 games in college?? lol. He’ll be fine. 

Lay off the negativity. Your thoughts on what stinks won’t freshen the room. And those thoughts IMO are really short sighted. I see long term progress being made not doom and gloom. In other words, what IS working in your eyes? Can anyone get you to see positives or is it all negative? Cuz most of your posts are really negative. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, I am I said:

Maybe Wandale got used to much because when a player shows and is a focal point, you use him? Look at Bama QB, every player is one play away from injury. 

AM did seem off most of the year, no doubt. But look at Lawerence at Clemson, soph slump anyone? And AM still ranks in like top 5 B1G in ypg and total offense. He’s our guy. He’s started what, 15 games in college?? lol. He’ll be fine. 

Lay off the negativity. Your thoughts on what stinks won’t freshen the room. And those thoughts IMO are really short sighted. I see long term progress being made not doom and gloom. In other words, what IS working in your eyes? Can anyone get you to see positives or is it all negative? Cuz most of your posts are really negative. 

Most of what i see on the field is negative.  If we show positives i recognize them.  Where are they?

We have been heading down hill for 20 years, nothing truly has been right with the program since Coach Osborne left if you want to look at it that way.  Solich was my high school idol, Callahan brought something new, and still feel if he hadn't been so loyal, he still might be here.  The NFL keeps him around.  I had my down years, I despised Pellini, and it made the board miserable for me.  I wanted Riley to do better, but alas he didn't and according to most takes the responsibility for where we are at.   

I don't buy that, these kids have played ball most of their lives.  They weren't quitters, or loafers when they were recruited.  I think some have better motors than others, but hard to tell from a distance.

We only see what we want to see.  If we want to see positives we can, if we want to see only the negatives, there have been plenty.  But were not seeing everything.  Only Coach Frost really knows what is going on.  Why he does the things he does, and for what reasons.

I never felt this would be a quick turn around, maybe a little better than we are now, but not a lot.  Flipping the roster was a major upgrade and set back at the same time.  I see Freshman that are making a difference on the field.  I see a Juco player that was doing pretty good last week, and a lot of people wanted him gone the week before.

Never focus on the negatives, always look for the positives, is what has been ingrained into me along with Semper Fi.  We need to calm down and give the coach some time.  He knows how it is supposed to work.  He needs fan support, not snipers shooting at him from afar.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, I am I said:

I watched OU last night come back down from 25.  J Herd  stepped up like a boss, (during a 3 TO night) and played like a man possessed.  Lincoln Reilly Road him (his legs and arm) to the biggest come from behind victory for OU in history....I say this for 2 reasons.  You ride the hot hand.  Period.  For whatever reason that was Wan’dale until injury (IMHO he and Mills are not inter changeable). And I say this as Mills was running like his a$$ was on fire and his hair was catching.  Frost should have let him get more than 5 touches that 2nd half.  Yes we were down 2 scores, but that was 30 minutes Mills could’ve run and run and run......

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Frost has said that Chin runs the D and he looks at film.  Frost needs to realize he is the HC and oversee the team like he is....He can’t parcel out responsibilities to other guys and only be concerned about his area of expertise.  He has to trust his guys, but steer the ship as well.....I think his presser was telling saying if the D could hold teams to less than 30.....

Since it all starts up front, if you can’t take away a positive from the way our O-line played Saturday against a very stout Wisc defense then our little debate here is a non-starter. 

Mills running so much better as the season moved on is a positive. See above as a huge positive reason why. 

Penalties were down. That’s a huuuuge positive 

Commentators commenting in their comments that we saw many players on defense rotating in, especially up front. Getting game reps is a positive. 

A tipped pass led to an INT. That’s a tough break. But the fewer turnover problems was a good positive. 

Despite the fact we have a losing season thus far, our team did NOT mail it in. In fact, after a bye we looked crisp, well prepared, and executed nicely for large portions of the game. The willingness to come in and fight v top 15 team is a positive. 

Frost in his post game didn’t pull punches. Called out the defense. Said he’s tired of looking for silver linings. Still hates to lose, won’t accept it. Called on reinforcements (recruits) to line up and help/play immediately. I think him not sugar coating and seeing the reality is a positive. 

So, yeah. I personally see a lot of positives. Along with negatives too but I think looking at the positives and knowing they are there goes a long way to being able to then address team needs and problems in a constructive manner. 

Anyone can fart at a party and clear the room. But I’d rather bring a keg of Dales Pale Ale and some sick music and keep it alive. 

• Plus1 5

14 minutes ago, I am I said:

Since it all starts up front, if you can’t take away a positive from the way our O-line played Saturday against a very stout Wisc defense then our little debate here is a non-starter. 

Mills running so much better as the season moved on is a positive. See above as a huge positive reason why. 

Commentators commenting in their comments that we saw many players on defense rotating in, especially up front. Getting game reps is a positive. 

A tipped pass led to an INT. That’s a tough break. But the fewer turnover problems was a good positive. 

Despite the fact we have a losing season thus far, our team did NOT mail it in. In fact, after a bye we looked crisp, well prepared, and executed nicely for large portions of the game. The willingness to come in and fight v top 15 team is a positive. 

Frost in his post game didn’t pull punches. Called out the defense. Said he’s tired of looking for silver linings. Still hates to lose, won’t accept it. Called on reinforcements (recruits) to line up and help/play immediately. I think him not surges coating and seeing the reality is a positive. 

So, yeah. I personally see a lot of positives. Along with negatives too but I think looking at the positives and knowing they are there goes a long way to being able to then address team needs and problems in a constructive manner. 

Anyone can fart at a party and clear the room. But I’d rather bring a keg of Dales Pale Ale and some sick music and keep it alive. 

This is where you went wrong.  Pale Ale?? Yes keep the 70 year old white men alive with that pale ale s#!t

32 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost has said that Chin runs the D and he looks at film.  Frost needs to realize he is the HC and oversee the team like he is....He can’t parcel out responsibilities to other guys and only be concerned about his area of expertise.  He has to trust his guys, but steer the ship as well.....I think his presser was telling saying if the D could hold teams to less than 30.....

He just comes off to me as either unwilling or unable to oversee the entirety of the team, every facet, to excellence.  Chin is so over his head; Scott needs to drive excellence in all three phases.  

• Fire 2
1 hour ago, I am I said:

Frost in his post game didn’t pull punches. Called out the defense. Said he’s tired of looking for silver linings. Still hates to lose, won’t accept it. Called on reinforcements (recruits) to line up and help/play immediately. I think him not sugar coating and seeing the reality is a positive. 

Really good positives in there. Besides the BS sideline penalty, I can’t even remember what the other one was.  Mills rushing for 188, against the number 2 D, is nothing to laugh at either.  I think this was the most total yards their D gave up all year.  Maybe 2nd to OSU......TE’s got involved, Noa with 3 grabs......

A lot of new guys seeing some playing time.  Trying to build some depth.  We have a ways to go.  Both players and staff, but we will get there. Gonna take longer than expected (speaking for myself) as I figured 2021 we’d be good to go, but next year looks brutal.  

• Plus1 1

It'll be interesting to see how all these improvements play out against Maryland and Iowa. The ball control plan was a good one, anything that'll keep our defense off the field. After a much improved showing for special teams in the Purdue game, they went backwards against Wisconsin. I'm still not sure WHAT'S going on with the RB's and won't get my hopes up that one of them will break 100 yards again, sad as that sounds....you get the feeling that Mills is good enough to have been doing that all season.

The reason this sounds negative is that you can see there's a lot of potential there but for whatever reason they can't seem to get it together. You don't get the sense that anyone recognizes where they're at and the urgency needed to win the game...I suppose that comes with experience and not playing like you're renting the position. I still say the jimmies and joes bail out a lot of boneheaded coaches.

• Plus1 1

Everyone points to coaches that immediately turn a program around to be successful.  Truth is, that doesn't always happen.  Every situations is different.  Here are four programs that I would think Nebraska fans would consider are in much better shape than we are now, the coach that took them from a total mess to where they are  and the first three year's record of that coach at the school.

PSU - Franklin

7-6

7-6

11-3

Wisconsin - Barry Alvarez

1-10

5-6

5-6

Iowa - Kirk Ferentz

1-10

3-9

7-5

Minnesota - PJ Fleck

5-7

7-6

9-1

These all showed either the same record or slightly better in the second year.  But, none of them would have been sitting there in year 2 thinking...wow...this is going fantastic.  Would Nebraska fans be happier if we were sitting where any of these teams are right now?  No, they aren't where we ultimately want to be. (winning championships).  But, nobody can argue that these programs aren't in better shape than Nebraska is right now.  

My point is, sometimes when you are in a total rebuild of a program from the ground up, it takes time.  I still believe Frost can get us to a point where we are MUCH better than we are right now.  Will it be next year?  Maybe.  I would expect we would see some improvement in certain areas next year.  I do expect us to be much better 2-3 years from now.

• Plus1 3