Frustrations of the fan base

BigPeterJ

10 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Time, time, time....we are so far past the point of waiting, we just go further into the abyss of mediocrity, right Steve Peterson?  If you get sucked too far into the black hole, you may never come out and we are on that brink, IMO.  

Respectfully disagree. Chinander notwithstanding, Scott is doing what is needed to get us back. We want it to happen now, but it's obviously a several-year rebuild. Elite-level recruits are considering and signing more than we've seen in a LONG time. I wanted to doubt that, until I looked into it, and, sure enough, Scott's doing pretty darn well on that front. We just need to get the young guys into the mix, and things will start looking better.

The Purdue loss was BAD, though. No excuse for that one. Ugh.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Respectfully disagree. Chinander notwithstanding, Scott is doing what is needed to get us back. We want it to happen now, but it's obviously a several-year rebuild. Elite-level recruits are considering and signing more than we've seen in a LONG time. I wanted to doubt that, until I looked into it, and, sure enough, Scott's doing pretty darn well on that front. We just need to get the young guys into the mix, and things will start looking better.

The Purdue loss was BAD, though. No excuse for that one. Ugh.

Good post.  Agree with everything on it.  We lost two or three games we shouldn’t have but Coach Frost is playing a patient game and building for the future.  He is not  throwing out the Freshmen red shirt years away and trying to stockpile talent.  

If the recruiting class fills out with more 4 star talent while having back to back down seasons, it shows me that recruits are buying into the message and vision.  Also telling will be seeing how many of his recruits stay past 1 or 2 years and our attrition rate starts to stabilize.  

If the Huskers get better Linebacker play next year and better QB/OLine play next year, we will definitely see improvement in the W/L record.   

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

Time, time, time....we are so far past the point of waiting, we just go further into the abyss of mediocrity, right Steve Peterson?  If you get sucked too far into the black hole, you may never come out and we are on that brink, IMO.  

We'd only be on the brink if our first two recruiting classes had sucked. They didn't suck, and the 2019 class was really pretty good.

We just need more focus on the defensive side of this team and we'll be much more competitive, starting next season in my opinion. We finally have good quarterbacks and good quarterback depth and an offensive mind that knows how to move the ball down the field.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

On 11/18/2019 at 12:11 PM, Undone said:

We'd only be on the brink if our first two recruiting classes had sucked. They didn't suck, and the 2019 class was really pretty good.

We just need more focus on the defensive side of this team and we'll be much more competitive, starting next season in my opinion. We finally have good quarterbacks and good quarterback depth and an offensive mind that knows how to move the ball down the field.

We moved the ball over 500 yards , and yet scored 21 points.  People who say our offense has been good just annoys me.  What good is moving the ball if you dont score? And i disagree that AM is a good quarterback.  Also when people blame our defense, they fail to account for the fact our offense gives them great field position half the time.  Out of all areas of our team, I am most dissapointed in our QB (Adrian), and our offensive "mind".  

I want to add, as hard as i have been on Frost, i do love the guy.  He seems like a great man, a genuine man of faith and character.  Im not frustrated with him as a human being, im frustrated with him as a football coach right now.  

I bet you if he was honest, he would say the same about himself.  He has really done alot of things wrong this year, and its compounded by the fact his QB has really been gonzo mentally, and many other players have left, been hurt, or been lost.  I think it hurts Frost as much as any of us, so much so, that he has a hard time admitting his fault in this (we've all been there).  He's a great man, just has had a rough year coaching football.  He will learn from this, you can see it in him...even when his pride deflects blame, you can see how much he cares and can see how he is humble enough inwardly to recognize his shortcomings this year.  There is noone else id rather have as our leader, i mean that 100%.  Thats NOT because he is a great coach right now, its cause he has the characteristics and makeup that he WILL be in time.  

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

You're more disappointed in Adrian's play this season (when he hasn't been injured) than you are with our linebackers? Hard to believe.

Yes, because we knew we didnt have good backers.  We thought we had a GREAT QB, only to see one of the worst starting QBs in power 5 this year.  Quite the contrast from Heisman dark horse to worse than Taylor Martinez if we are honest.

5 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Yes, because we knew we didnt have good backers.  We thought we had a GREAT QB, only to see one of the worst starting QBs in power 5 this year.  Quite the contrast from Heisman dark horse to worse than Taylor Martinez if we are honest.

I mean this sincerely: I can't tell if you're trolling this board.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, Undone said:

I mean this sincerely: I can't tell if you're trolling this board.

Why? I sincerely rhink Taylor Martinez was a better QB than Adrian.  What does Adrian do well? He can barely hit a screen pass, doesnt see open receivers.  At least Taylor could run the ball very well.  Does Adrian run well? He cant make anyone miss, is indecisive- turns what could be a 10 yard run into a 4 yard run by waiting 3 seconds too long, and isnt nearly as fast as Taylor was.  I mean this sincerely also...what does Adrian do well??

2 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Why? I sincerely rhink Taylor Martinez was a better QB than Adrian.  What does Adrian do well? He can barely hit a screen pass, doesnt see open receivers.  At least Taylor could run the ball very well.  Does Adrian run well? He cant make anyone miss, is indecisive- turns what could be a 10 yard run into a 4 yard run by waiting 3 seconds too long, and isnt nearly as fast as Taylor was.  I mean this sincerely also...what does Adrian do well??

The schemes that the two play in are actually pretty different. In Frost's offense, the QB isn't that much of a weapon in a power run scheme. He's more of a facilitator. 

In Taylor's freshman season, he had a 59.2% completion percentage and 1,631 passing yards. In his second season, 56.3% and 2089.

In Adrian's first year he had a 64.6% completion percentage and 2,617 passing yards.This season his completion percentage is currently at 59.1% with 1,711 yards and he's missed games, played slightly hurt, and the season isn't even over.

I'm not sure the two guys would necessarily do that great in each other's schemes is probably the point. 

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

The schemes that the two play in are actually pretty different. In Frost's offense, the QB isn't that much of a weapon in a power run scheme. He's more of a facilitator. 

In Taylor's freshman season, he had a 59.2% completion percentage and 1,631 passing yards. In his second season, 56.3% and 2089.

In Adrian's first year he had a 64.6% completion percentage and 2,617 passing yards.This season his completion percentage is currently at 59.1% with 1,711 yards and he's missed games, played slightly hurt, and the season isn't even over.

I'm not sure the two guys would necessarily do that great in each other's schemes is probably the point. 

I honestly don't think the schemes are that different. Variations on the same theme. The faster and more decisive Taylor would have more rushing yards in Frost's offense than Adrian, and with the better arm, Adrian would have had more passing yards than Taylor in the Pelini years. The run/pass splits aren't all that different, and Freshman Taylor had 162 carries in 2010 while Freshman Adrian had 140 carries, each of them missing a game or two iirc. 

One thing they might have in common is a sophomore slump. Pelini simply didn't want Taylor to get hurt like he did in 2010, and so TMart spent the entire 2011 season figuring out how to go down in the open field without taking a hit. I think it screwed with his natural competitive instincts. Something got to Adrian's confidence, too. Everyone seems to see it. He still has a chance to go out strong, but the scheme is not his problem.