Frustrations of the fan base

BigPeterJ

Funny thing is. If we just were able to squeeze out the W at Colorado and AM played better against Purdue, we’d be sitting at 6-4 at this point. Which is right where many thought we would be at this point—on the way to 8-4. So we really aren’t too far off from 8-4, which sounds pretty darn good right now. We are, however, Quite a long ways from 10-2 or better.   Hopefully we’ll be disappointed with an 8-4 record in a couple years. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Adrian’s screen passes have left a lot to be desired this year.  That needs to be a priority in the offseason. 

Thank you.  Im amazed at those who cant see that.

Many times the throw is off target (its a 10 yard toss btw) and the receiver catches it, but because of the s#!tty throw he can only gain 3 yards instead of 10.  I cant even count how many times AM has missed on a screen pass or a short out to a TE. You shouldnt be diving for a screen pass.

I asked this one question on a different thread: What is our expectations going forward?

9-10 wins regularly, with 8 wins  being a must.  Competing for West division titles?  Competing for Big 10 titles?

Looking ahead at our schedule for the next few seasons I don't see any reason why we can't get at least 9 wins in 21', 22', and 23'.  Our Big 10 schedule is easier and our non con besides OU isn't daunting.

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Adrian’s screen passes have left a lot to be desired this year.  That needs to be a priority in the offseason. 

Yeah, which is really important as all teams should have it in their arsenal.

The best screen play I have seen for a loooooong time was thrown by McCaffrey. No , I'm not saying he should be the starter. 

13 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Funny thing is. If we just were able to squeeze out the W at Colorado and AM played better against Purdue, we’d be sitting at 6-4 at this point. Which is right where many thought we would be at this point—on the way to 8-4. So we really aren’t too far off from 8-4, which sounds pretty darn good right now. We are, however, Quite a long ways from 10-2 or better.   Hopefully we’ll be disappointed with an 8-4 record in a couple years. 

Or if we don't have the 4Q comeback against Illinois or eek out the win over NW we would be sitting at 2-8...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Or if the defense made a stop.

• Plus1 4

41 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

2020 should be the year for a jump.

1. 2nd full year of weight training.

2. Riley's players will be mostly gone.

3.  Most of the youth will have a 2nd or 3th year in the program.

4.  Coaches should be making adjustments playing in the big 10.

5.  Talent should be better.

The schedule sets up for a nice start to the season as well.  From Oct 31st on however it gets very challenging.  Hopefully we have some confidence built by the time we hit the tougher games on the schedule.

Oct 31st - at Ohio State

Nov 7th - vs Penn State

Nov 14th - at Iowa

Nov 21st - at Wisconsin

Nov 27th - vs Minnesota

15 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

The best screen play I have seen for a loooooong time was thrown by McCaffrey. No , I'm not saying he should be the starter. 

That screen play was a little different. It was a delayed middle screen, which means you plan on the defensive line getting penetration, and maybe even sell it as panic, because you can see your RB  has just slid off his pretend block and is standing at the line of scrimmage or beyond with the first line of defense already behind him. It's a shorter, easier throw for the QB, and there's usually a much bigger and better lane for the RB.

I love those screens. They work even better when you have a fullback in the mix. Frost, of all people, should know the value of a fullback. 

I'm not as crazy about the 20 yards screen passes to the sideline, which take longer to develop and get caught behind the line of scrimmage,  where the defense is usually waiting, having seen it a hundred times on game film.  Adrian has had some problems with those this year, much like Tommy Armstrong, often throwing behind the receiver where it's not only hard to catch but where incompletions turn into fumbles. We dodged a couple of those bullets the last two games. 

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

The schedule sets up for a nice start to the season as well.  From Oct 31st on however it gets very challenging.  Hopefully we have some confidence built by the time we hit the tougher games on the schedule.

Oct 31st - at Ohio State

Nov 7th - vs Penn State

Nov 14th - at Iowa

Nov 21st - at Wisconsin

Nov 27th - vs Minnesota

Exactly. Its possible we go 7-0 to start the year. I think a healthy Purdue team at the start of the year will be our toughest game before Oct 31st. We will hear Nebraska is back and finally turned around - - but I'm going to try and wait until after November whether to buy into the hype (most likely unsuccessfully).

The two year extension has me a little concerned. 

Not that I don't hope Frost is our last FB coach of my lifetime, but it strikes me as a desperation move to try to help recruiting.

Our staff has always had some hardships recruiting to DONU but at times, we've had the reputation of getting the most out of a player which became a big draw to ''blue chips'' in the past.   

Maybe this admin is recognizing Frost's national perception of turning around a program ''window'' is closing fast due to our gametime problems making adjustments.