1 hour ago, Boy of the Corn said:

For those who don't think Chinander is getting it done, who would you take?

Muschamp?

I think Muschamp would be a good pick, he is a top-notch DC and he's probably done as a HC, which means there's potential for him to stay a long time. 

If MSU cans Dantonio I'd be OK with picking him up. At his age he wouldn't be a long-term guy but I think we'd get a good four years out of him. Have Chin as OLB/co-DC and groom him properly. With some years working with a top-notch DC that knows the BIG I think Chin would be a credible DC himself. 

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Busch for Dewitt would be a massive upgrade imo.  Busch has worked with Aranda at Utah St, Wiscy and LSU, so he knows a 3-4.  And he can recruit.

I think a veteran set of eyes would do wonders for Chin and the defense. We wouldn’t have to scrap the 3-4 and would be able add some concepts. Also the kids get to keep the same DC for the 3rd year in a row and Busch is experienced in Special Teams. It would address our biggest short falls. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

At this point, I think we need to give the guys consistency. New DC every year or two is hurting our ability to grow.

I dont know if Chinander is the best but at this point, I want to hold on for a bit to see if one voice for more than 16 months can help the team be better.

Definitely agree with this. 

Chin hasnt had had the greatest year but he needs to get the opportunity to get the talent and body types that he wants for his defense. He’s had some rough spots but good coaches are able to adjust and change philosophies as needed, let’s give him the chance to do so and then evaluate.

Now if the defense looks like this again next year, then this discussion becomes more warranted.

• Plus1 1

Chin's defense has held four opponents to 10 or fewer points in the last two years.

The last time a Nebraska defense did that was under Pelini in 2012-2013.

Chin did it against Bethune-Cookman, Michigan State, N. Illinois & Northwestern.

Bo did it against Idaho State, Michigan, Iowa & Purdue.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't go anywhere near the idea of firing Chinander after this season. That would not only paint a picture that there's chaos in Lincoln but would also create actual chaos for the returning roster next year.

What I do hope is that Frost gets some counsel from Tom on what he sees the defense doing well and what he sees the defense not doing well, and hopefully Scott maybe starts to take a bit more of an active roll on that side of the ball.

After all, if Troy Walters is good at his job, couldn't Frost afford to do that? That's maybe another interesting question that hasn't been discussed. At any rate, wouldn't fire Erik after this season by any stretch but the guy needs to make some adjustments to what he's doing.

• Plus1 2