7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Chin's defense has held four opponents to 10 or fewer points in the last two years.

The last time a Nebraska defense did that was under Pelini in 2012-2013.

Chin did it against Bethune-Cookman, Michigan State, N. Illinois & Northwestern.

Bo did it against Idaho State, Michigan, Iowa & Purdue.

Didn’t realize how hit and miss this defense has been. Banker held opponents under 20 points 10 times, Chin has 4 times. 

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Chin's defense has held four opponents to 10 or fewer points in the last two years.

Chin did it against Bethune-Cookman, Michigan State, N. Illinois & Northwestern.

oof.

Those MSU and Northwestern offenses are possibly the two most anemic I've seen in my entire life, except for maybe 2009 Nebraska.

• Plus1 2

You know what might work wonders?  Having an offense that actually has a consistent pulse and identity.  While there are elements about Chin's defense that needs altering (defensive line philosophy, uneven blitzing cadences, etc) I think a lot of it has to do with the talent on hand but moreso this offense doing them NO favors.

Our offense has put our Defense in a horrible position for 2 years on 2 fronts:

1. Unable to stay on the field for long drives consistently has led to our defense being on the field far longer than they should be.  When you consider the types of offenses we typically face this is a situation that few DCs would be consistently succesful with unless we had a significant talent advantage (hint, we dont)

2. Our offense's inability to put points on the board, consistently, has oftentimes led our team from playing from behind.  This allows opposing team's to pretty much open up the whole playbook instead of creating a situation where the wisconsins and iowas of the world need to throw it more because they're down.  I'd love to see what this defense could do when they can simply pin their ears back and get after the offense and not be in a situation where they have to sell out to stop the run.

Now that being said, our tackling is f'n pitiful and needs to be corrected regardless.  If Chin and co cant address this then should be shown the door after next year.  But I truly think this defense would look a helluva lot better if this offense didn't hang them out to dry on a weekly basis

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

1. Unable to stay on the field for long drives consistently has led to our defense being on the field far longer than they should be.  When you consider the types of offenses we typically face this is a situation that few DCs would be consistently succesful with unless we had a significant talent advantage (hint, we dont)

2. Our offense's inability to put points on the board, consistently, has oftentimes led our team from playing from behind.  This allows opposing team's to pretty much open up the whole playbook instead of creating a situation where the wisconsins and iowas of the world need to throw it more because they're down.  I'd love to see what this defense could do when they can simply pin their ears back and get after the offense and not be in a situation where they have to sell out to stop the run.

I think both of these get corrected with a good offensive line.

Give us Wisconsin's O Line the last two years and we finish drives and put more points on the board, keep our defense off the field a little bit longer, and we probably win half the games we've lost since Frost started.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

29 minutes ago, Landlord said:

oof.

Those MSU and Northwestern offenses are possibly the two most anemic I've seen in my entire life, except for maybe 2009 Nebraska.

2013 Purdue 14.9 ppg

2012 Iowa 19.3 ppg

2012 Michigan 29.8 ppg

2018 Michigan State 18.7 ppg

2019 Northwestern 14.5 ppg

2019 Northern Illinois 24 ppg

2013 Purdue was no offensive juggernaut either. That 2012 Michigan win was impressive though. 10 points is fairly arbitrary though, I'm not arguing Chins has done as well as Pelini. Frankly Banker probably would have equaled this in 2016-17, we held Fresno to 10 and Maryland to 7 in 2016. We held Illinois to 6 points with f'ing Diaco in 2017, and Rutgers/Northern Illinois easily could've been held to 10 or less. Technically NIU was, if I recall correctly 14 of their 21 points came via Tanner Lee.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think both of these get corrected with a good offensive line.

Give us Wisconsin's O Line the last two years and we finish drives and put more points on the board, keep our defense off the field a little bit longer, and we probably win half the games we've lost since Frost started.

I think this is exactly right. The D in my opinion is built to play with the lead. I don't think that this is unreasonable given what HCSF has done over his career.  It feels like a high risk high reward D that excels when teams have to do things they wouldn't usually do because they're playing from behind. We saw this week what that does to a team. Mills was a little banged up, but do we really think Mazour would be in the game for those last few drives if were weren't down by two scores and needing hands on the field? 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Reasonably certain they were without their QB for that game. Was that the Dennard Robinson era? I'm too lazy to look that up.

Ah, you're right - Robinson started but aggravated an injury. True freshman backup went 3/16 with 3 picks, that'll do it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=323010158

Point is, it's really hard to hold good teams to 10 points. And I'm not sure doing it twice a year against any team is a great measure of success, because Diaco technically did in 2017.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Didn’t realize how hit and miss this defense has been. Banker held opponents under 20 points 10 times, Chin has 4 times. 

This is pretty crazy, actually.

Chin's defense is either ON or OFF. It's the 10-or-20 defense.

Four times he's held teams to ten or less.

Every Other Game he's given up 20 or more (21 or more, technically).

I know it's only been 22 games so far, but it's weird that he's never held an opponent between in the 11-20 point range.

That's it. I'm calling it - we beat Maryland 27-17 this week.

Chin is due.

11 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

The D in my opinion is built to play with the lead. I don't think that this is unreasonable given what HCSF has done over his career.  It feels like a high risk high reward D that excels when teams have to do things they wouldn't usually do because they're playing from behind.

I'm not sure that any of this is actually the strategy that Frost/Chinander have in mind on defense. But to just entertain the notion, if this is the case then a drastic overhaul of the philosophy would have to occur yesterday.

It would speak to this staff's inability to understand and adapt to the different kind of play that they face in their new conference. One where the better teams in our division (Wisconsin & Iowa) wear your defense out with a grinding run & short game. If you don't commit to stopping the run, you're much less likely to generate 3 & outs or hold your opponent's offense to short drives in this conference. 

Your theory would make me even more concerned than I already am about Chinander's ability to draw up something workable for our current situation in the B1G.

22 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You know what might work wonders?  Having an offense that actually has a consistent pulse and identity.  While there are elements about Chin's defense that needs altering (defensive line philosophy, uneven blitzing cadences, etc) I think a lot of it has to do with the talent on hand but moreso this offense doing them NO favors.

Our offense has put our Defense in a horrible position for 2 years on 2 fronts:

Now that being said, our tackling is f'n pitiful and needs to be corrected regardless.  If Chin and co cant address this then should be shown the door after next year.  But I truly think this defense would look a helluva lot better if this offense didn't hang them out to dry on a weekly basis

This is very true.  This is not just a Chinander problem this a Frost/Chinander problem.  They way overestimated their ability to put points on the board and way underestimated the importance of being able to stop a team in the B1G.

The B1G is a big boy defensive league.  Teams stop the run and tackle.  There are plenty of good offenses, but it has to be paired with at least a decent defense.  

Talent seasoned talent is lacking big time at the linebacker spot and they need a couple of pass rushers.  Shore up those things and the defense will get better.  

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This really doesn't tell us anything.  Of the 8 teams you listed, 2 are FCS.  5 of the remaining 6 had/have anemic offenses, ranking 100 or worse.  The only "average" offense that was held to 10 or fewer was 2012 Michigan (where Denard Robinson went out hurt in the 1st half).

2019 NW #129

2019 NIU #100

2018 Mich St #126

2018 Beth Cook FCS

2013 Purdue #121

2012 Iowa #113

2012 Mich #57

2012 Idaho St FCS

edit: I see that someone basically posted the same thing above.

• Plus1 2