2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Chinander is giving up 37 ppg on the road at Nebraska...stop with the silver lining BS. 

Agreed. And the idea that the defense doesn't have to step up and stop teams unless our offense is performing significantly better doesn't make any sense.

An evaluation of the defense is an evaluation of the defense. Look at Iowa's team; is their defense great because their offense scores so many points or whatever tf? No, not at all.

It's like even the fan base itself hasn't adjusted to the style of play in the Big 10 after being in this conference for almost a decade.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure that any of this is actually the strategy that Frost/Chinander have in mind on defense. But to just entertain the notion, if this is the case then a drastic overhaul of the philosophy would have to occur yesterday.

It would speak to this staff's inability to understand and adapt to the different kind of play that they face in their new conference. One where the better teams in our division (Wisconsin & Iowa) wear your defense out with a grinding run & short game. If you don't commit to stopping the run, you're much less likely to generate 3 & outs or hold your opponent's offense to short drives in this conference. 

Your theory would make me even more concerned than I already am about Chinander's ability to draw up something workable for our current situation in the B1G.

I mean I don't want it to sound like it's play from ahead or dysfunctional. They know that long sustained drives like what Iowa/Wisconsin do aren't going to happen with our O. It's just silly to think that you don't structure your team to compliment one another. We're going to count on our O being able to score. That's HCSF's whole thing. It's not like he doesn't know how to coach defense, look at his UNI days. However, at the end of the day, we don't play a ball control offense. Consequently, we're not going to want our D to force teams to grind out yards. You want them to have to play the game we want them to play. Wisconsin does a great job of this, just in the reverse of what we want to be doing. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This really doesn't tell us anything.  Of the 8 teams you listed, 2 are FCS.  5 of the remaining 6 had/have anemic offenses, ranking 100 or worse.  The only "average" offense that was held to 10 or fewer was 2012 Michigan (where Denard Robinson went out hurt in the 1st half).

2019 NW #129

2019 NIU #100

2018 Mich St #126

2018 Beth Cook FCS

2013 Purdue #121

2012 Iowa #113

2012 Mich #57

2012 Idaho St FCS

edit: I see that someone basically posted the same thing above.

Correct, and my post wasn't intended to defend Chin, it was just an observation.

In the same way that, after looking at Frantz's post, I made another observation.

2 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

I mean I don't want it to sound like it's play from ahead or dysfunctional. They know that long sustained drives like what Iowa/Wisconsin do aren't going to happen with our O. It's just silly to think that you don't structure your team to compliment one another. We're going to count on our O being able to score. That's HCSF's whole thing. It's not like he doesn't know how to coach defense, look at his UNI days. However, at the end of the day, we don't play a ball control offense. Consequently, we're not going to want our D to force teams to grind out yards. You want them to have to play the game we want them to play. Wisconsin does a great job of this, just in the reverse of what we want to be doing. 

Is this or is this not a true statement:

-In the Big 10 West, stopping the run is extremely important to be successful.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed. And the idea that the defense doesn't have to step up and stop teams unless our offense is performing significantly better doesn't make any sense.

An evaluation of the defense is an evaluation of the defense. Look at Iowa's team; is their defense great because their offense scores so many points or whatever tf? No, not at all.

It's like even the fan base itself hasn't adjusted to the style of play in the Big 10 after being in this conference for almost a decade.

Definitely not, but their offense does affect it by taking time off the clock. They're a very good defense regardless, but they play a shorter game which helps. Iowa and Temple give up the same yards per play, but Iowa gives up 80 fewer yards per game and a lot fewer points. Some of that is the defense just buckling down when it counts to prevent points, but some of that is just not being on the field as much. We would EDIT: almost be a top-40 defense by yardage if we gave up the same per play that we do now, but only played as many snaps on D as Iowa does.

EDIT: Math for proof

Iowa 303.5 ypg allowed, 4.9 ypp = 62 plays per game

Nebraska 414.3 ypg, 5.8 ypp = 71 plays per game

5.8 ypp*62plays = 359.6 ypg, which would be 42nd. I rounded wrong initially, not quite top-40.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

Is this or is this not a true statement:

-In the Big 10 West, stopping the run is extremely important to be successful.

It's true, what's that got to do with what I've said though? It's true across of levels of football. We need to get better at it. Still has nothing to do with what I've said. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Chin's defense is either ON or OFF. It's the 10-or-20 defense.

I guess this is technically right.  But his defense has only be ON when playing really bad offenses.  And it has sometimes been OFF against teams with really bad offenses too.

We got very lucky with our schedule this year.  Half of it is against teams that don't score much, ranking greater than #95 in scoring offense.

Scoring Offense Ranks

S Alabama #122

CU #95

N Illinois #100

Illinois #58

OSU #1

NW #129

Minnesota #22

Indiana #36

Purdue #97

Wisconsin #30

Maryland #70

Iowa #100

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Chinander is giving up 37 ppg on the road at Nebraska...stop with the silver lining BS. Hasn't held a team to under 30 points yet in almost two full seasons on the road. Therefore Maryland is scoring 31+ points Saturday 

Maryland is averaging 35 ppg at home this year.  So I think somehow Maryland gets to 36.

19 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

It's true, what's that got to do with what I've said though? It's true across of levels of football. We need to get better at it. Still has nothing to do with what I've said. 

It just seems like the defensive style & philosophy isn't built to stop the run, because it has sucked against the run. And if this is supposed to be an aggressive "risk taking" defense, we're somehow abjectly failing there also, judging by the stats that were posted yesterday about hurries & sacks being relatively abysmal for us this season.

We've also been pretty bad at keeping teams out of the end zone once they reach the red zone. 

My main point originally is that if our defensive philosophy is somehow tied to our offensive philosophy, a change needs to be made on defense because clearly Frost hasn't been able to just waltz all over teams to the tune of 40+ per game. I have a feeling that he thought it would be that easy, but as it turns out, there's a high level of defensive quality in this conference and at this point that doesn't seem to be how it's going to go. So perhaps some adjustments to our defensive philosophy wouldn't hurt. That's my main argument.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Definitely not, but their offense does affect it by taking time off the clock. They're a very good defense regardless, but they play a shorter game which helps.

I actually pretty much agree with this, but it's a little funny because I specifically remember quite a few conversations on here by some people (one might have been brophog) claiming there is no correlation between time of possession and outcome.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I actually pretty much agree with this, but it's a little funny because I specifically remember quite a few conversations on here by some people (one might have been brophog) claiming there is no correlation between time of possession and outcome.

There isn't in the grand scheme of things. Some teams use it as a tool but its one of the lesser factors on determining the winner. 

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

If by outcome they mean wins/losses sure - you can win either way. But fewer plays is going to lead to better defensive and worse offensive numbers, and I don't think it's in Frost's DNA to live with the latter half of that. And that's fine, because I don't think any of us are expecting a top-10 scoring defense. But we do need to be better than ~80th, for sure. And per play, we should be top-25 IMO.