6 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed. And the idea that the defense doesn't have to step up and stop teams unless our offense is performing significantly better doesn't make any sense.

An evaluation of the defense is an evaluation of the defense. Look at Iowa's team; is their defense great because their offense scores so many points or whatever tf? No, not at all.

It's like even the fan base itself hasn't adjusted to the style of play in the Big 10 after being in this conference for almost a decade.

Didn’t you know our 2009 defense was so great because of the offense scoring so much they short circuited the scoreboard?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lol- muschamp?  Unless he's canned, how realistic is it to say he'd be a great DC replacement when he's already a HC in the SEC lol.  If we're playing that game I'll take Vic Fangio, I'm sure he'll totally leave an NFL HC position to be DC at a school he has zero affiliation with

The assumption about Muschamp is of course that he'd be canned. Nobody here thinks he comes here if South Carolina opts to give him more time. 

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Undone said:

And we're 92nd, after playing what was touted as being one of our weakest schedules in years.

Is there a metric out there that measures strength of schedule after the season? I'd definitely be interested in that. We thought Ohio State was beatable in our house, didn't think Minnesota would be who they are, and Indiana being better.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Is there a metric out there that measures strength of schedule after the season? I'd definitely be interested in that. We thought Ohio State was beatable in our house, didn't think Minnesota would be who they are, and Indiana being better.

The one I look at shows we are currently 66th in SOS

2 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

The one I look at shows we are currently 66th in SOS

Per Sagarin, Nebraska is showing a current strength of schedule that is ranked 39th. 

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2019/team/

• Plus1 1

On 11/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, knapplc said:

This is pretty crazy, actually.

Chin's defense is either ON or OFF. It's the 10-or-20 defense.

Four times he's held teams to ten or less.

Every Other Game he's given up 20 or more (21 or more, technically).

I know it's only been 22 games so far, but it's weird that he's never held an opponent between in the 11-20 point range.

That's it. I'm calling it - we beat Maryland 27-17 this week.

Chin is due.

Just about pitched a shutout, but the backups gave up a TD.

Still - a Chinander defense hasn't finished a game giving up a score in the teens. Weird.

• Plus1 5
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Still - a Chinander defense hasn't finished a game giving up a score in the teens. Weird.

Weird?  

I believe he has held a grand total of 5 teams to 10 and under. 

2019 Northwestern, Maryland, No Illinois

2018 Bethune Cookman, MSU in a snowstorm

Looks like his defense has allowed few points to offenses that score very few points. 

In 23 games, no opponent has scored between 11-19 points. Doesn’t feel like an unreal statistical anomaly given the sample size. 

• Plus1 1

So where did the people go who were insisting Chins defense was going to end up as bad as last years? The argument as I recall was Wisconsin/Maryland/Iowa were going to score enough on us that there wouldn't be any measurable progress this year, and yet:

2017: 36.4 (Diaco)

2018: 31.3

2019: 27.8

Unless Iowa goes for 70, that's improvement. Unless they go for 50+, that's significant improvement. Give him another year at least, especially with the younger guys coming up.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

So where did the people go who were insisting Chins defense was going to end up as bad as last years? The argument as I recall was Wisconsin/Maryland/Iowa were going to score enough on us that there wouldn't be any measurable progress this year, and yet:

2017: 36.4 (Diaco)

2018: 31.3

2019: 27.8

Unless Iowa goes for 70, that's improvement. Unless they go for 50+, that's significant improvement. Give him another year at least, especially with the younger guys coming up.

We don't give coaches time. It's either fix it now or your fired.

The offense looks good if they can finish the drives, or get some kind points on the board. Not really worried about where they are headed. What I watched against a very good Wis D, was impressive. 

The defense is still maybe a couple years away. Maryland used everybody, but the waterboy at QB. Yeah it was nice to see the backups get playing time, but it was Maryland. 

Chin need's a couple of more recruiting classes, unless next year is as bad as this year. I hope he can turn it around. It would be nice to keep a staff around that really seems to be growing together.

GBR!!!

15 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

The offense looks good if they can finish the drives, or get some kind points on the board. Not really worried about where they are headed. What I watched against a very good Wis D, was impressive. 

The defense is still maybe a couple years away. Maryland used everybody, but the waterboy at QB. Yeah it was nice to see the backups get playing time, but it was Maryland. 

Chin need's a couple of more recruiting classes, unless next year is as bad as this year. I hope he can turn it around. It would be nice to keep a staff around that really seems to be growing together.

GBR!!!

We have seen statistical improvement so far so as long as it continues next year, we should be liking where things are headed.

• Plus1 1