Frank Solich

KC Sker

1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Serious question...did you feel worse or better about the direction of the program at the end of Callahan’s 2nd season vs now?

I felt at the time Callahan was a bad hire, I do believe that Frost will right this ship but it is a massive undertaking and it will slowly get better.  I expect us to be competing for Big10 West titles in a couple of seasons.  

This of course is completely different than what I thought when Frost was hired, with the turnaround he had a UCF, I thought he could do the same here but the truth is Riley left us a ship half sunken and it is going to take time to pump all of that water out.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Serious question...did you feel worse or better about the direction of the program at the end of Callahan’s 2nd season vs now?

In 2005, we would've felt better about the direction of the program no matter what. We were still delusional from the 90s, and as soon as Bill won 8-9 games I think most people felt like it was back on track because why wouldn't it be? Now after 15ish years, it's a little harder to be optimistic. Knowing how year 4 went for Callahan I feel better now, I believe years 3 and 4 for Frost will be a lot better. But right at the end of 2005, when we still thought 2002 and 2004 were just bumps in the road I think most people believed in the direction of the program whether they liked Callahan or not.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

In 2005, we would've felt better about the direction of the program no matter what. We were still delusional from the 90s, and as soon as Bill won 8-9 games I think most people felt like it was back on track because why wouldn't it be? Now after 15ish years, it's a little harder to be optimistic. Knowing how year 4 went for Callahan I feel better now, I believe years 3 and 4 for Frost will be a lot better. But right at the end of 2005, when we still thought 2002 and 2004 were just bumps in the road I think most people believed in the direction of the program whether they liked Callahan or not.

Absolutely agree. Heck, my brother and I wrote a song about the Huskers that offseason.

”Restore the order, it’s coming your way

USC Trojans, you’re about to pay

Texas Longhorns, we’re coming for you too

’Cause Nebraska won’t settle for #2

Mike Rozier and Johnny Rodgers

Eric Crouch and should’ve been Tommie Frazier

This year for the Heisman:

’The award goes to Zac Taylor’”

Oh, to have the blind optimism of adolescence :facepalm:

I still have my “Restore the Order” s#!t, right next to “Hip, Hip, Hooray”, “Cardinal Mooney”, “Diacomania”, and “Calibraska”. My wife is gonna make a quilt out of my old Husker shirts, but maybe I should burn them in sacrifice to the football Gods.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Better.  Pretty much every coach since Osborne has had a *good* coaching pedigree.  Well, maybe not Riley.  Frost though has phenomenal coaching experience--given his age.  I mean, it would be difficult for a 44 year old man to have better experience leading up to this job than he has had.  Despite the stellar experience we are 4-6 in Frost year two, sitting on a four game L-streak.  

The reason I feel better about Frost than those who followed Osborne is Frost's recruiting.  Oh, I don't think the aggregate level of skill in his first two classes is a whole lot better than his predecessors.  But Scott is recruiting quality linemen.  On both sides of the ball.  We've lacked big guy recruiting for a long time now--of course with a handful of notable exceptions.  Like Ndamukong Suh (and a small handful of others).  You just can't compete in the Big Ten with an O-line more well suited for the Mac.  Frost is changing that.  But I think it's gonna take a couple more years until some of these guys start coming on-line to see the impact of his recruiting.    

/gets off soapbox.  puffs on a Jobey with a bit of MacBarrens

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Agree.  He is the winningest coach in the Mac , mostly because he has been there for so long.  The great coaches leave the Mac for a better job.

Most, yes...but when they are already rich and old (and had/lost their dream job) they probably are happy to stay.

Also, what does it mean that he was in over his head at NU?  

5 minutes ago, Big Red Viking said:

Frank was in over his head at Nebraska.  He's at a 2nd tier program where he always should have been.

Pretty hard to state that as a fact, when he was hamstrung at the outset by some peer jealousy and an aging staff (some of whom had some physical liabilities that impacted their ability to travel and recruit.)

In retrospect, you wonder if he has had second thoughts about declining the job at Army, which would have been a great fit for his offense and mind set.

Also was in line for the Pitt job until Ditka intervened and mandated that the Pitt job would go to a " Pitt Man"

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Most, yes...but when they are already rich and old (and had/lost their dream job) they probably are happy to stay.

Also, what does it mean that he was in over his head at NU?  

Im not sure he is in over his head, so much as he wasnt much into recruiting.  I was agreeing with the fact that he wasnt gonna get us (or keep us) where we wanted to be.  He is a solid coach, not great.

14 hours ago, NUance said:

Yeah, makes you wonder where we'd be if we had stuck with Frank.  Props to Frank for reaching this milestone in the MAC.  

Many coaches I can think of who have left Nebraska since 2003 have gone on to good success.

NU would be in a better place for sure if he had been retained.

• Plus1 1