Frank Solich

KC Sker

10 minutes ago, Fru said:

I think had he been retained, he’d have probably been our version of Kirk Ferentz. Mostly 8 and 9 win seasons. 10 or 11 wins when the schedule lined up right. Threatened to win the division on occasion. Bunch of Holiday and Outback Bowl appearances.  

And instead, we.......?

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Comish said:

Pretty hard to state that as a fact, when he was hamstrung at the outset by some peer jealousy and an aging staff (some of whom had some physical liabilities that impacted their ability to travel and recruit.)

In retrospect, you wonder if he has had second thoughts about declining the job at Army, which would have been a great fit for his offense and mind set.

Also was in line for the Pitt job until Ditka intervened and mandated that the Pitt job would go to a " Pitt Man"

I think you're right on the mark with recruiting, he under performed in that arena.

Crazy to think that Solich might have remained here for another few years and things wouldn't have gotten to this kind of shape now.  Sure, we can all say that one will never know, but I think knowing what we know now, pretty sure Solich could have won 9 games a season because BO did with no offensive identity.    I mean Pelini might have been here for a few years with Solich and well it is what it is now.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Oh and by the way, the last few years we would have  taken a 7-7 season, with an Independence bowl showing.  That was Solich's worst season as our Coach.  I guess that old saying be careful what you wish for, has some bearing on our football program since then.  

Out of context sure.  Solich took a 60-3 program over 5 years and turned it into 7-7.  Frost getting  back to .500+ on the back of 6-7, 9-4, 4-8, 4-8 is a different scenario. 

• Plus1 3
On 11/20/2019 at 6:07 PM, BigPeterJ said:

Agree.  He is the winningest coach in the Mac , mostly because he has been there for so long.  The great coaches leave the Mac for a better job.

Pretty much this.  

Also, he still hasn’t been able to win a conference title in the MAC.  So it’s pretty much just. A function of being there longer than most.

• Plus1 1

Yep, he just broke the record in 15 years.  The previous holder of the record took 17 seasons to accomplish it.  Yep, just being there longer achieved him the record.  Why don't we start beating the drum of poor recruiter once again?  I just read on here within the last couple of months that one can grade recruiting prowess on how one's recruits are drafted into the NFL.  Shall we rehash how many top three round NFL recruits Solich inherited versus how many top three round NFL recruits Clownahan inherited? 

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Pretty much this.  

Also, he still hasn’t been able to win a conference title in the MAC.  So it’s pretty much just. A function of being there longer than most.

I get what you are saying but most MAC coaching are young/younger guys...Frank got there and had already been to the top.  There is a huge difference.

• Plus1 2
On 11/20/2019 at 5:07 PM, BigPeterJ said:

Agree.  He is the winningest coach in the Mac , mostly because he has been there for so long.  The great coaches leave the Mac for a better job.

where the vast majority end up getting fired because they are actually crappy coaches who enjoyed one fluke season with the last guys talent, Brian Kelly with holding, still hasn't won a natty tho.

On 11/20/2019 at 5:24 PM, BigPeterJ said:

Im not sure he is in over his head, so much as he wasnt much into recruiting.  I was agreeing with the fact that he wasnt gonna get us (or keep us) where we wanted to be.  He is a solid coach, not great.

We can't make any assumptions about what he would have or not done for us. A lot was changing in CFB in 2003, Frank was beginning to make changes and modernizations...... just in time to get fired. So we will never know. Unless your a pretty good gypsie fortune teller its best to leave it at that.

On a side note I'll never understand the people in our fan base who still seem to think that firing winning head coaches was fine and defensible. Long story short, we are in this mess today thanks to this idiotic policy. And we are lucky we didn't end up like freaking Baylor, who had the same genius idea and killed their program until art briles came along and turned Waco into the sexual assault capital of Texas. If a school in freaking Texas can't weather the whirlwind of firing a winning head coach, how people ever thought we could is beyond me.

• Plus1 1

Speaking of the past and the present - the below is about the guy who replaced Frank. 

It just seems strange to think of BC as "interim head coach' of an NFL team after our experience wt him. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/24/us/redskins-quarterback-selfie-trnd/index.html

(CNN)Washington Redskins quarterback Dwayne Haskins thought Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions was over when he ran to the sidelines to take a selfie with a fan.

Cornerback Fabian Moreau had just caught an interception in the final seconds of the game, and everyone went wild. The Redskins won 19-16, their first home win of the season, according to the NFL.
"I was so hype, I think I broke a water bottle," Haskins said during a post-game interview. "I look up and then we're in victory (formation)."
Unfortunately for Haskins, he still needed to be on the field to take a knee and run out the clock. Instead, backup quarterback Case Keenum had to take the field.

Interim head coach Bill Callahan told reporters everyone was looking for Haskins after the interception.
"We were looking for him," Callahan said, laughing. "We were looking for him, too. I think he thought the game was over. We'll have to find out, I'll have to find out a little bit more. I know we called for the new victory formation and Case came out on the field."
Photos of Haskins holding a fan's phone smiling quickly hit social media with some laughing and others, like former Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann, condemning Haskins.
"How do miss the last snap of a game because ur taking selfies. That's unprofessional & wrong," Theismann tweeted.