Frank Solich

KC Sker

19 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Has it really? I still see Lane Kiffin with a job. Bobby Petrino only until just recently. I can think of a lot more examples of coaches with very unsavory sexual behavior and otherwise that are still doing just fine even though everybody knows.

I don't know about alcohol or skirt chasing, but Kiffin was a prick everywhere he went, rubbed people the wrong way, and worked his way from the NFL down to Florida Atlantic. Bobby Petrino got caught giving hush money to the young woman on his motorcycle when he crashed, and Arkansas fired him for being a legal liability. He licked his wounds at Western Kentucky. Steve Sarkasian was visibly drunk at multiple USC events and they fired him. He's doing okay, but probably will never be a head coach again. 

So yes, many college programs will fire a coach for personal reasons, even if they're winners. If they're winners, they can still get a job at a lesser college or in a less visible assistant coaching position. So by this standard, Frank Solich is doing fine and his Nebraska firing is not without cause.

Frank got a DUI  and drivers' license suspension during his first year at Ohio, when police found him passed out behind the wheel of a car facing the wrong way down a one-way street. 

2 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

Solich recognized that recruiting was dropping off and that the offense needed to diversify a bit.

After he led the team to its worst season in decades, I should freaking hope he did! If he'd recognized it a year or two sooner, he might still have a job here today...

• Plus1 1
On 11/27/2019 at 3:26 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

People keep forgetting that Frank Solich had a serious drinking and skirt-chasing problem that made him a PR liability even in 2003. The University treated him essentially the way they treated Carl Pelini a few years later. 

Do you remember Bob Devaney and his drinking.  Sorry didn't see this mentioned before.

On 11/27/2019 at 8:17 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Frank got a DUI  and drivers' license suspension during his first year at Ohio, when police found him passed out behind the wheel of a car facing the wrong way down a one-way street. 

His defense was that he'd been "roofied" in the tavern where he was drinking.  My respect for him upon seeing that was replaced by pity.  The happy ending is that he seems to have sobered up.  Good for him.

11 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I was still a member at bigredfan with trainwreck and all his buddies when that was going on. I'm sure there are still links over there to the test results. To bad they aren't accepting new members.

Yeah.. it was just an aside.. don't want to hijack this thread so I'll drop it.  I do remember mulling what would have happened here if he'd have stayed.. I'll drop it now. 

On 11/29/2019 at 9:33 AM, Husker_Bohunk said:

Who cares?

I care about this team and how it's doing now. I couldn't care less what Frost has to say about any of his predecessors and I doubt he gives it any consideration either.

Well the fact Frost continued to blame Mike for his team's performance this year, says that is a lie. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • 2 years later...