Cortney Grixby

I just watched a few games from last year. While watching them, I noticed that CG was beaten more than any of the DBs last year. I believe it is because of his height and maybe it is just me. I just couldn't help but cringe when the oponent went after CG.

I was just hoping for a little insight from you all on this. I know we are getting MUCH bigger, maybe not faster, corners comming in. This is not meant to be disrespectfull in any way. It may be just me and I'm being a moron. I think he is a great guy and works very hard and is a unbelieveable athlete. Hopefully someone here can give me something to change the "oh crap its going to Grixby" feeling I have when I see a long pass and the only person there is CG.

it all has to do with how you look at it, everyone has different feelings on it. I have full confidence in Courtney, what he is lacking in height he makes up for in verticle leap, technique, awareness/smarts, speed, and pure athletic ability. i know what you mean though, i was very skeptical about him some time ago. :thumbs

I have the same thought about him when I see a ball thrown his way. Luckily Andre Jones will be able to come in for him if anything bad starts happening consistently. I have always had that feeling because of his height, but overall our D was 10th in pass efficiency, so I guess he did a pretty good job.

I think they'll be fine. BigRedfxtoy just look at the stats. Overall I think you have nothing to worry about. The one matchup I am worried about though is when we play USC. Dwayne Jarrett is huge, and the coaches of SC will want to exploit Grixby's size. But Grixby has a lot of heart. I think he'll get it done.

If I remember correctly, it seemed like our secondary played a bend but don't break defense. Our secondary seemed to be off the line quite a ways and would always give up the five yard curl route. Hopefully with improved safeties, we can get our corners closer to the line and try to make teams throw over the top of us and let the safeties make some plays.

As long as the D-Line keeps up the rush of last year, which they will unless injuries happen, the quarterback will be forced to throw in a hurry, which could lead to interceptions. I'm not really worrying about our D though this year, even with the size of Grixby, and the lack of experience with the safeties.

If I remember correctly, it seemed like our secondary played a bend but don't break defense. Our secondary seemed to be off the line quite a ways and would always give up the five yard curl route. Hopefully with improved safeties, we can get our corners closer to the line and try to make teams throw over the top of us and let the safeties make some plays.

Tierre Green ALWAYS lined up 5 to 8 yards off the line. It made me cringe also. So the move to safety will be better in that regard. Grixby is good and getting better. The thing about his jumping ability is that he has to be in position to utilize it. That will come with experience. I remember Damon Benning being interviewed after the Spring Game and he said Grixby is the player on the D that most impresses him. (It was Glenn on the Offense.) Hopefully Jones will be up to speed sooner than later to add depth to the position.

I think they'll be fine. BigRedfxtoy just look at the stats. Overall I think you have nothing to worry about. The one matchup I am worried about though is when we play USC. Dwayne Jarrett is huge, and the coaches of SC will want to exploit Grixby's size. But Grixby has a lot of heart. I think he'll get it done.

I think matchups with kids that have Jarrett's size that Bowman will probably be asked to take on most of the one-on-one duties. Bowman got better and better as the season progressed, and I believe his size and skills would be more useful in those situations than Grixby's.

I think it had more to do with his inexperience as he was only a Soph. than his lack of skill or whatever. He showed great ability to spot the ball, jump up and knock it down. Hopefully he can improve on being able to stay with the WR better, seems like he got lost sometimes and then also improve on finding the ball and catching it rather than swatting it down. But he sure had some key punt returns

Thanks for all the opinions here. I for one feel better just knowing it wasn't all me having an uneasy feeling when CG was covering some of the huge receivers last year. Again he is a great guy and I hope he progresses and becomes as solid a player as any out there.

I believe I read somewhere that the coaches were teaching the corner position to play closer to the line and jam the receivers. This is allowed in college but not in the pros. The article stated something like: After the season the coaching staff evaluates all aspects of the previous years performance and did recognize the buffer given to the receivers. They also recognized the difference in the rules allowing more contact with the receivers in college than at the next level. Many of the teams we played utilized this and that is why it was so hard to get the timing down at times. So, I think we will see the corners play closer and use the bump and their speed to get it done this year. We have a ton of speed with the current corners and the incoming recruits.

I also agree, Green will have a great year at saftey. There is no lack of speed or size there. He is built more for the safety position than corner. With his hitting ability it should be exciting to watch.