What Did We Learn - Maryland

Mavric

Just now, DefenderAO said:

One of our worst practice players in college was all region and POY in the conference.  This can happen.  Some kids can just win in games.

I want to be wrong, but if Scott rides Adrian there are multiple losses ahead because of this decision.  

This is where Im at.  Mav may be right about Lukes struggles in practice, but if we dont have a better field general or passer than AM, i would just drop the passing game altogether and run wildcat, or option with some screen passes.   We kinda have layed off the passing game actually.  With AM i just feel like i did with TMart...except TMart was faster.

I've seen a lot of great QB's since 58 - - too many to list.   The really great ones had quick minds that matched or even exceeded their physical skills.   

IMHO, BigPete & AO are spot-on in their assessments.   

Martinez has a low ceiling (at QB) because he makes too many mental errors, doesn't see things.   He is a skilled athlete and could be very good at several positions of need (Safety, Outside Linebacker, Flanker, etc.).   Think about all the low passes that normally will go uncaught (today was an exception).   Think about all the passes that were dropped because he hasn't learned how to slow the pass down for short range . . . those things kill an offense against good teams.  

I like the young man, but we risk much by having him at #1 QB.   For 2019, overall, our best QB may be Vedral, followed by Luke M, then AM.   In 2020, we may hopefully have more options (we would be an instant contender if we had a McKenzie type of QB).

4 minutes ago, Railroader said:

I've seen a lot of great QB's since 58 - - too many to list.   The really great ones had quick minds that matched or even exceeded their physical skills.   

IMHO, BigPete & AO are spot-on in their assessments.   

Martinez has a low ceiling (at QB) because he makes too many mental errors, doesn't see things.   He is a skilled athlete and could be very good at several positions of need (Safety, Outside Linebacker, Flanker, etc.).   Think about all the low passes that normally will go uncaught (today was an exception).   Think about all the passes that were dropped because he hasn't learned how to slow the pass down for short range . . . those things kill an offense against good teams.  

I like the young man, but we risk much by having him at #1 QB.   For 2019, overall, our best QB may be Vedral, followed by Luke M, then AM.   In 2020, we may hopefully have more options (we would be an instant contender if we had a Milton McKenzie type of QB).

Part of me wonders how much Frost's pride may play into this.  He very publicly has stated that AM was his top choice out of anyone in the country.  If he doesnt start AM, he is essentially making it known that he was not a good evaluator of QB talent...not that i think Frost is a prideful person, or that i think he is a bad evaluator of QB talent.  Even the best, sometimes missjudge a recruit.  Its not easy, especially in AMs case, since he didnt even play his senior year of high school. 

Im sure Frost knows how to spot QB talent about as good as anyone btw.  I think AM just hasnt panned out from the mental aspect...you can see all the physical abilities.  

34 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Part of me wonders how much Frost's pride may play into this.  He very publicly has stated that AM was his top choice out of anyone in the country.  If he doesnt start AM, he is essentially making it known that he was not a good evaluator of QB talent...not that i think Frost is a prideful person, or that i think he is a bad evaluator of QB talent.  Even the best, sometimes missjudge a recruit.  Its not easy, especially in AMs case, since he didnt even play his senior year of high school. 

Im sure Frost knows how to spot QB talent about as good as anyone btw.  I think AM just hasnt panned out from the mental aspect...you can see all the physical abilities.  

There's lots I disagree with here, but I thought it was interesting during the off season that the coaches basically implied the whole time that there was no QB competition and it was Adrian's job. Maybe that's just a quarterback thing, but I've wondered a few times if the competition was a big part of what made Martinez play so well last season. I think this off season it should be called a competition again, and if he ends up the starter he might be better for it.

I learned that
(1) there is another team in our conference that can make the stupid mistakes we are capable of making

(2) when you don’t beat yourself, good things can happen

(3) McCaffrey makes much better decisions than Martinez and plays with more passion and grit

(4) we continue to struggle in the red zone. We waste many opportunities to score touchdowns

(5) Jurgens still snaps the ball high sometimes. Hope he learns how to snap the ball by next year

(6) Waldoch is a better kicker than Pickering 

(7) we should not return punts or kicks until we have better special teams.

(8) Khalil Davis is really athletic for his size

(9) spielman and domann are studs 

I really hope the team rides this game and the confidence they built into the Iowa game this Friday. We need an error free game this Friday if we are to pull the upset and go bowling. Let us hope wandale is healthy by then as we need every weapon we can get our hands on. At least now, we have some hope...

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Did Mo play the majority of snaps today?  I didn't hear his name a lot.  Seemed like he was out on passing downs. Saw a lot of Honas and Miller.  Looks like he was only credited with 2 assists...Sick?

Mo played his regular rotation in the first half, I didn’t see the 2nd half of the game, so I don’t know how much he was playing. Frankly, Mo isn’t a very good LB, and I think the coaches are looking for ways to get Honas and Miller on the field more. If Deontei Williams hadn’t been injured in the first game of the season, I think the coaches would have used more Dime defense with Williams being the Dime LB. 

• Thanks 1