What Did We Learn - Maryland

Mavric

8 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing how great the backups are when I see their main attributes are running the QB keeper and not scoring much. It's obvious that Martinez has some passing issues and maybe in the future another QB will show us he's better. Maybe it'll be Logan Smothers? Who knows.

(See how I went way past the backups to a guy who isn't even here yet?)

You are wrong.  It's gonna be a current 8th grader who is going to be NU's QB of the future and will make everyone forget Martinez, Vedral, McCaffrey, and Smothers.

Did I do that right?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

And then when it doesn't work against a good defense the problem will be the line or the play calling.

Guess you are not catching the "comparison" thing...  The O-Line IS a problem and play calling has been questionable..  The "comparison" comes into play when martinez and mccaffrey are rated against the same variable.  mccaffrey runs decisively, martinez not so much.

1 minute ago, twofittyonred said:

Guess you are not catching the "comparison" thing...  The O-Line IS a problem and play calling has been questionable..  The "comparison" comes into play when martinez and mccaffrey are rated against the same variable.  mccaffrey runs decisively, martinez not so much.

So, Martinez may have not run as decisively earlier in the season when he was battling leg injuries?  By your "comparison" metrics, Martinez ran for 94 yards on 10 carries, McCaffrey ran for 83 yards on 10 carries.  That's about the same in my book.  I agree that McCaffrey is faster than Martinez, but people acting like Martinez isn't effective running the ball, I don't know what they are watching.

• Plus1 6

I learned this morning that Kurt Warner must have some great private jet credits from the NFL Network.  He was at Kade's game on the East coast late yesterday afternoon, and is now appearing on the NFL Network studio show in Los Angeles.  I also believe that he is the lead radio analyst for Westwood One's broadcast of Monday Night Football.  He is doing a lot of traveling in a 3 day period.

• Plus1 3

13 hours ago, Railroader said:

I've seen a lot of great QB's since 58 - - too many to list.   The really great ones had quick minds that matched or even exceeded their physical skills.   

IMHO, BigPete & AO are spot-on in their assessments.   

Martinez has a low ceiling (at QB) because he makes too many mental errors, doesn't see things.   He is a skilled athlete and could be very good at several positions of need (Safety, Outside Linebacker, Flanker, etc.).   Think about all the low passes that normally will go uncaught (today was an exception).   Think about all the passes that were dropped because he hasn't learned how to slow the pass down for short range . . . those things kill an offense against good teams.  

I like the young man, but we risk much by having him at #1 QB.   For 2019, overall, our best QB may be Vedral, followed by Luke M, then AM.   In 2020, we may hopefully have more options (we would be an instant contender if we had a McKenzie type of QB).

Lol you said 'flanker'

OK boomer.

What's next, maybe Nebraska should run the wishbone?

• Fire 1
17 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Biggest thing is the team(and fans to an extent) relearned how fun winning big is.

Now how the team takes this performance and translates it next Friday is the big question.  Whole different animal lining up across from them.

Also reiterizing how dumb three plays in the  NW and Purdue games were.  14 could definitely helped against Iowa 

Unfortunately, I don't think they want to play Johnson on Friday as he has now played in 4 games.  They want preserve the red shirt.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Tipton Husker said:

Unfortunately, I don't think they want to play Johnson on Friday as he has now played in 4 games.  They want preserve the red shirt.

I think that is the point. Sad we used him for a play in one game because we could have used him for the whole contest Friday

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

So let me get this right. Vedral went 0-2 as a starter, including one game where he was forced out with injury, yet he should have been the starter all season?

Again, I agree Martinez needs to play with fewer mistakes, but the offense does well with him at QB, even as the team loses skill talent all around him.

Ive learned that some of us , consider 5-6 with our best win being ILLINOIS as "our offense does well with him at QB"  

12 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I've learned that our fans and their "eye tests" can't tell the difference between a QB looking good in garbage time against a team whose will is crushed and competitive games. 

I've also learned fans will be forever obsessed with back ups regardless of if they can actually play better than starters. 

You realize that "garbage time" also includes our offense having in their second string, typically sooner than the defense.  Im not even sure Maryland had their backups in when our backups first came in...which would make what Luke did even more impressive.

More than anything, considering how many likes these posts got....i learned that many husker fans get very defensive any time our starting QB gets honest evaluation. 

So now that we beat a bad Maryland team who gifted us our 20+ point lead and whose "will was crushed" (which i agree with) , in a game where picks turned into touchdowns, all of a sudden Martinez is a good QB?  Our defense played stout, our OL dominated, our RBs ran well, our team played very well, DESPITE the fact that our QB did not, but lets give AM the credit for this win.  And lets pretend "our offense does well with him at QB" in a season where weve lost 6 games so far, and our wins consist of S.Alabama (despite our offense trying to give the game away), Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Illinois, and Maryland.  

Btw his stats are 10 TD and 8 INT, with the #69 QBRating.  Also 8 fumbles.  Take away that sure interception that turned into a TD, and he'd be 9 TD and 9 INT.  That is a stat, has nothing to do with the eye test.  But i would argue he is even worse than his stats, as that doesnt account for all the open receivers he rarely sees, or all the screen passes that are adjusted to just to catch, putting the runner in a bad position, etc etc.  

Urban Meyer said Frost needs to look under the hood...the engine of an offense is the QB...he didnt want to knock down a college kid on national TV, so he used an analogy.  Its pretty clear he was referring to "Frost needs to look at the QB"

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Railroader said:

Martinez has a low ceiling (at QB) because he makes too many mental errors, doesn't see things.

I think there's every reason to be excited about McCaffrey and Martinez has had some moments this year that suggest he's maybe not as good as we thought he'd be. But I just want to address your logic.

We don't know exactly how high his ceiling is. That gets sorted out once a guy has played out his eligibility. But last year he played pretty well. So that, at a minimum, is his "ceiling." And it's a decent ceiling.

So the question is if he can get right and get back to that level. A level where we're talking about a 64% completion percentage and a guy who will shatter total yards records. What I like about him is the way he's built; he can take shots pretty well in Big 10 play. McCaffrey has a fair bit of weight to put on in my opinion before you can smash him in there on 15+ option plays a game. Where his body's at right now, he'd probably get torn apart if he were used that way for nine conference games.