What Did We Learn - Maryland

Mavric

3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We drop 60+ for the first time in Lord knows how long if Martinez doesn't short-arm the TE throw-back, which is actually a play-call that I like.

Anyone else notice how exhausted Frost looks? This season has definitely taken its toll on him, for sure.

Wonder if he was sick this week as well - but yeah, he looked tired. Not unhappy for the most part though!

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

One difference between Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, and Adrian Martinez is that I was never interested in seeing more of Cody Green or Ryker Fyfe.

Frost gets credit for this strong stable of QBs. They're expected to push each other. Fans of a 5-6 team can be excused for wondering if a change might help. 

I hear what you are saying, and I saw this argument over this weekend, but I really don't think that benching Martinez would have resulted in more wins.  NU is 5-4 in Martinez starts, where he played the majority of the game.  The CU and Purdue games were very winnable, and Martinez didn't play his best games in those games.  But, he also played well enough to have NU in the game at the end of those games.  This may be me being a Martinez defender, but should it have been surprising when Martinez looked rusty in the first half against Purdue?  Yes, Martinez missed opportunities to bust the game open, but Martinez also made plays in the 4th quarter where it would have been a NU win if the D was able to make a stop.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, melscott62 said:

IMO playing qb in a system like this requires someon with good vision that can think quickly and slow down the game.  It’s a natural gift that not everyone has.   I don’t think You can teach it.  I’m not seeing it out of AM.  I hope I am wrong.

Again, I have to ask: did you think he had “it” last year?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Again, here's how 'bad' Martinez played Saturday, in order of plays where he passed or ran. Try to find more than 5 total bad decisions/plays that were his fault and an indictment on his lack of ability

:

1 - perfectly placed bubble on the numbers, but loss of 4 due to Stoll whiffing on his block.

2 - perfectly placed underneath to Mills for 8

3 - QB draw diving on 3rd for 6 and a first

4 - perfect swing pass to Mills for 11

5 - incomplete, deflected by a defender right in his face (tried to side arm it around him but still got knocked down)

6 - incomplete screen pass to Mills, threw it behind him (but still catchable)

7 - 3rd and 10, escapes pressure and runs for 7 (unable to tell if anyone was open downfield)

8 - bad snap, corralls and throws perfect throw out to Johnson for 12

9 - 3rd and 5, incomplete to Spielman on a slant. threw out it out in front of his body but from the broadcast cam it looks like any further back and the defender would have batted it. Spielman got both hands on it, but no catch

10 - checks down to spielman in the flat as his third read, gain of zero

11 - cool, weird little misdirection corner fade thing to wide open Allen in stride (pass a little high) for 20 some yards

12 - 2nd and goal run to the 1

13 - 3rd and goal qb sneak touchdown

14 - qb draw for 1

15 - another screen attempt batted down by defender right in his face

16 - bad swing throw to johnson too far in front of him and leading him into a defender

17 - quick outside dump to stoll for 6

18 - 22 yard pass to spielman in a soft spot of the zone

19 - bad dump in the flats on an rpo (he made the right read, but there was a delayed corner blitz that forced him into a bad throw) incomplete to stoll

20 - sacked for -1 yard, had two guys open for short dumps

21 - bad decision but double tip leads to spielman touchdown

22 - cuts an option keeper upfield for 21 yards (fumbles as he's going out of bounds)

23 - underthrows a throwback to stoll in the end zone, intercepted

24 - checks down through three reads to kade warner for gain of 3 (cant see whats going on downfield)

25 - incomplete to johnson crossing underneath on 3rd down (right through johnson's hands

26 - designed run for 16 yards

27 - roll out left off the wrong foot perfect pass placement in stride to spielman for a touchdown

28 - 25 yard pass to mike williams finding another zone soft spooot

29 - play action left rollout pass (good accuracy) complete to chris hickman who slips for no gain

30 - good read option pitch to johnson for 4

31 - pa bubble to spielman for 15 (again, ball exactly where it should be to give receiver an easy catch and good momentum/stride)

32 - 32 yard zone read keep run

33 - 12 yard completed pass i dont know who to

34 - bad double coverage throw into the endzone for spielman, lucky not to get picked

35 - 10 yard pass to mcaffrey on 3rd and 7

36 - 13 yard zone read keep to the outside

37 - option pitch to johnson for 14 yards to the 1 yard line

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

12 minutes ago, HuskerPwr said:

Again, I have to ask: did you think he had “it” last year?

Realize you're not asking me, but I definitely thought Adrian had "it" last year. I thought he was our generational QB. So did outside observers, who had him starting the year on the Heisman short lists. 

There seems to be no question that he's lost some of "it" this year.

Leaving the question still hanging: can he get "it" back? 

"It" usually shows up when the stakes are high, so Maryland isn't definitive evidence yet. 

17 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Again, here's how 'bad' Martinez played Saturday, in order of plays where he passed or ran. Try to find more than 5 total bad decisions/plays that were his fault and an indictment on his lack of ability

:

1 - perfectly placed bubble on the numbers, but loss of 4 due to Stoll whiffing on his block.

2 - perfectly placed underneath to Mills for 8

3 - QB draw diving on 3rd for 6 and a first

4 - perfect swing pass to Mills for 11

5 - incomplete, deflected by a defender right in his face (tried to side arm it around him but still got knocked down)

6 - incomplete screen pass to Mills, threw it behind him (but still catchable)

7 - 3rd and 10, escapes pressure and runs for 7 (unable to tell if anyone was open downfield)

8 - bad snap, corralls and throws perfect throw out to Johnson for 12

9 - 3rd and 5, incomplete to Spielman on a slant. threw out it out in front of his body but from the broadcast cam it looks like any further back and the defender would have batted it. Spielman got both hands on it, but no catch

10 - checks down to spielman in the flat as his third read, gain of zero

11 - cool, weird little misdirection corner fade thing to wide open Allen in stride (pass a little high) for 20 some yards

12 - 2nd and goal run to the 1

13 - 3rd and goal qb sneak touchdown

14 - qb draw for 1

15 - another screen attempt batted down by defender right in his face

16 - bad swing throw to johnson too far in front of him and leading him into a defender

17 - quick outside dump to stoll for 6

18 - 22 yard pass to spielman in a soft spot of the zone

19 - bad dump in the flats on an rpo (he made the right read, but there was a delayed corner blitz that forced him into a bad throw) incomplete to stoll

20 - sacked for -1 yard, had two guys open for short dumps

21 - bad decision but double tip leads to spielman touchdown

22 - cuts an option keeper upfield for 21 yards (fumbles as he's going out of bounds)

23 - underthrows a throwback to stoll in the end zone, intercepted

24 - checks down through three reads to kade warner for gain of 3 (cant see whats going on downfield)

25 - incomplete to johnson crossing underneath on 3rd down (right through johnson's hands

26 - designed run for 16 yards

27 - roll out left off the wrong foot perfect pass placement in stride to spielman for a touchdown

28 - 25 yard pass to mike williams finding another zone soft spooot

29 - play action left rollout pass (good accuracy) complete to chris hickman who slips for no gain

30 - good read option pitch to johnson for 4

31 - pa bubble to spielman for 15 (again, ball exactly where it should be to give receiver an easy catch and good momentum/stride)

32 - 32 yard zone read keep run

33 - 12 yard completed pass i dont know who to

34 - bad double coverage throw into the endzone for spielman, lucky not to get picked

35 - 10 yard pass to mcaffrey on 3rd and 7

36 - 13 yard zone read keep to the outside

37 - option pitch to johnson for 14 yards to the 1 yard line

Sorry, but your objective analysis isn't going to be taken well by some in these parts. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

So we are assuming that Scott Frost has hitched his wagon to Adrian Martinez and no matter what he's going to be the starter even if someone behind him is better. Okay i guess.

This times a million. Frost is a football coach and I'm sure he loves the kids but he will put who he thinks is the best player out there every time. The coaches have far more data to work with than we do.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Realize you're not asking me, but I definitely thought Adrian had "it" last year. I thought he was our generational QB. So did outside observers, who had him starting the year on the Heisman short lists. 

There seems to be no question that he's lost some of "it" this year.

Leaving the question still hanging: can he get "it" back? 

"It" usually shows up when the stakes are high, so Maryland isn't definitive evidence yet. 

Yeah, I hope he puts together a good game vs. Iowa. I actually thought he looked good against NW before his injury. Purdue was his worst game, in my opinion. His stats and ability last year make me hopeful that he can get “it” back and make me think he’s just working through some things as a player right now. I guess I’m just not ready to give up on him and I find it surprising that others are (already) doing that, given that’s he’s a true sophomore and the myriad of other issues the team has had this year.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Of course there are, but we don't win this game 54-7 in week 1. I'm not sure we win this game at all in week 1

You know, there's another team that in hindsight obviously didn't belong in the preseason top 25: Syracuse. They were #21, but in week two, they got blasted 63-20. By Maryland.

• Plus1 1

I have heard Martinez has had a shoulder injury before the season even started.  I have no idea if it is true or not, but I'd guess we'll find out in the next couple of months if he has shoulder surgery.  We just haven't played very well as a team much of this year.  If just one guy messes up his assignment, it blows the entire play up.  I really don't think this is the year we should be calling for coaches heads.  We have a lot to play for come Friday.  I for one think the team will be up for the challenge.