What Did We Learn - Maryland

Mavric

What did I learn last Saturday?

1.  We may not be a good team right now, but thank the good Lord above we are NOT Maryland. 

2.  McCaffery is a gamer.  He will be fun to watch in the future.

3.  D.J. Durkin was a d-bag and had to go.  He did what he did and it wouldn't have made any difference last Saturday.
4.  WBC Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder loves the Power Rangers

image.png.f895b4fdaac09323a1942d28758c5154.png

5.  One should not fight Deontay Wilder more than once if one values his own well being.

image.png.c92146f91be5295a4cee16802fe67d76.png

On 11/25/2019 at 10:26 AM, DefenderAO said:

How is that different than continuing to ride Adrian when there is competency behind him?  You mean stunt Adrian’s growth? If Milton comes in and is better, why not? It gives Luke another year and Adrian can study more. Then those two duke it out the following year. The best QB should play.  

Milton was insanely close to never walking again 

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

We will really miss him. Guy seems to have gotten a lot stronger since last year and makes a pretty big impact when he's in.

Hmmm...I've actually enjoyed the Davis twins on the team and think they've contributed the best they could during a difficult time.  They stuck it out and, as far as I know, have had a good team attitude through all the coaching changes. 

However, I'm excited for the young guys and think they fit our system better.  He's had a pretty decent year though.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I think the question then, is, what do you define as "it"?

Making quick effective decisions without being careless with the ball.  I felt like he was offensively very explosive but his decision-making was frequently questionable. Again I gave them a pass because it was his first year.  The fact that has not gotten better and it’s gotten worse and your two concerns me. I’m not saying that they need to bench him but if I was frost I would give the other two quarterbacks serious look in the spring.

19 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

Making quick effective decisions without being careless with the ball.  I felt like he was offensively very explosive but his decision-making was frequently questionable. Again I gave them a pass because it was his first year.  The fact that has not gotten better and it’s gotten worse and your two concerns me. I’m not saying that they need to bench him but if I was frost I would give the other two quarterbacks serious look in the spring.

Sounds more like a game manager that having "it."

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, Mavric said:

I didn't realize that Khalil Davis is now fourth in the B1G in sacks.

Chase Young and two Wiscy LBs are ahead of him.

I was watching something the other night talking about Chase Young's Hypseman chances.  Most thought he'd get invited to the ceremony.  I've heard quite a bit about him this year, but I haven't really watched him.  How does his stats and such compare with Suh's when he was here and got invited to the ceremony.  A lot of the guys on the show had him at like third for the Hypseman.  Does he completely take over games like Suh did?  Or, is this just a lot of unfounded hype?

3 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I was watching something the other night talking about Chase Young's Hypseman chances.  Most thought he'd get invited to the ceremony.  I've heard quite a bit about him this year, but I haven't really watched him.  How does his stats and such compare with Suh's when he was here and got invited to the ceremony.  A lot of the guys on the show had him at like third for the Hypseman.  Does he completely take over games like Suh did?  Or, is this just a lot of unfounded hype?

He dominated the Wisconsin game. Best player on the field and it was apparent.

1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

His numbers are pretty crazy. Hard to compare edge rusher to DT, but:

Suh: 85 tackles, 20.5 for loss, 12 sacks, 1 INT, 10 PBU, 1 FF, 3 blocked kicks,  (14 games)

Young: 38 tackles, 19.5 for loss, 16.5 sacks, 1 PBU, 7 FF (9 games)

So obviously Suh had some things like the blocked kicks and number of tackles going for him. But Young has missed a few games and could still break the sack record. I'd say they're comparable in level of dominance, which is crazy. One edge I'd (totally biased) give to Suh is he was a huge factor against both the run and pass. I really don't know how good Young is against the run, but he is a bigger factor than Suh was against the pass.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Suh played a different position fellas.

Suh's numbers are MASSIVE for a Defensive Tackle.  Chase Young's should be compared to Grant Wistrom perhaps for context.

Wistroms career high sack total was 9.5. Chase Young deserves to go to the Heisman ceremony imo

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Suh played a different position fellas.

Suh's numbers are MASSIVE for a Defensive Tackle.  Chase Young's should be compared to Grant Wistrom perhaps for context.

Right, but Suh's the only reasonable recent comp as a defensive Heisman finalist. Wistrom had 20 TFLs and 9.5 sacks his best statistical year - he was great, but not really Heisman level. There are huge differences between Suh and Young and comparing is imperfect, but it's easier to compare them than Young and someone like Christian McCaffrey.